Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Marniy
Tastes like happy

Marniy is on a distinguished road

Help! I need some advice.

Iíve written a fantasy novel about divine Avatars. The ones from mythology that become the vessels of gods.

I recently received a critique that suggested I come up with a new term for them, since the concept of ďavatarĒ is currently so overdone- with The Last Airbender and the James Cameron movie.

Do you think this reviewer is right?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!
Marniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Absolutely. The movies (shudder) were the first thing that came to my mind when I saw that word. Invent something more original.

caw
Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Considering that your use of the term avatar is the original use of the word, I don't think you have a problem. I wonder if that person only knows the word through the movie and cartoon.

Think of another word for the proper use of the word indeed! That's just silly.

ďI love words but I donít like strange ones. You donít understand them and they donít understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know Ďem the minute you see Ďem.Ē -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
Considering that your use of the term avatar is the original use of the word, I don't think you have a problem. I wonder if that person only knows the word through the movie and cartoon.

I agree.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #5
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don't worry about it. Probably by the time your book comes out, people will have forgotten those movies. When I first started showing my WIendlessP to people, it was about the time of the LOTR movies, and everyone was saying, oh, you can't use magic rings.

Pbbbt, I say. Pbbbbbt.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
Melanie Dawn
Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.

Melanie Dawn has a spectacular auraMelanie Dawn has a spectacular aura
stick with it, those are poor examples of the word. You're on the right track!
http://www.lulu.com/shop/melanie-mcg...B42E30BD938A39

Butterfly- A Beautiful Tragedy 26,521/?????? (Erotic Romance) on hold

Current Project #2: Unnamed romance novel 57,109/?????? first draft
Melanie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What Da Ferret said

IIRC, Babylon Steel (by AW's Broadswordbabe) makes use of avatars in the sense you are talking about and calls them that. Because, well, because that's what they are I assume..I never once thought of the cartoon while I was reading - though in the cartoon wasn't the avatar the divine entity reborn or somesuch?

Don't call your rabbits smerps, or your avatars bingley beeps.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post

Yes please! Take the word back for those of us who know what it was supposed to mean.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, yes, please take back the word from people with only a shallow popularized concept of what it means. There are some other words we could take back, too...

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
acockey
Bronies, Bronies Everywhere

acockey has a spectacular aura
@OP if the word makes you uncomfortable enough not to use after the above advice, consider using the term "Surrogates" i.e. that cool Bruce Willis movie. Maybe your piece could trendize (not a word) that term

Current WIP: V 33000/50,0000 (Alive Again Yay!!!)

New WIP: Phase-Washed Jeans: 5,000/ 80,000 (Once more into the breach of fantasy)

Check me out over at EliteCosplay.com... handle HandyAnimeAndy
acockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
Ian Isaro

Ian Isaro is on a distinguished road
Though I agree with the general consensus, I wouldn't recommend using the word avatar in the title. That's where you'll get people associating it with the films. People who can't get past other things when the word is used in context probably aren't part of your target audience anyway.

Cubicle Quest - the game about escaping work to follow your dreams
Ian Isaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a shiny, shiny jewellauralam is a shiny, shiny jewel
I'd say stick with it. If a publisher wants you to change it down the line, then maybe, but I wouldn't worry about it. Avatar has the original meaning, and the meaning William Gibson gave it.

Call it what you want, but don't feel you have to change it because of blue cat people running around in loincloths.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books
Micah Grey #3 - 2015 - Penglass Publishing

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
lauralam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
Darkh0rse
figuring it all out

Darkh0rse is on a distinguished road
I agree with the majority. You are actually using the word for what it was meant to be used for.
Darkh0rse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Marniy
Tastes like happy

Marniy is on a distinguished road
Thanks, everyone for your thoughtful replies. This does ease my mind on the subject.
Marniy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
BabySealWriter
Often misses his target

BabySealWriter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marniy View Post
Help! I need some advice.

Iíve written a fantasy novel about divine Avatars. The ones from mythology that become the vessels of gods.

I recently received a critique that suggested I come up with a new term for them, since the concept of ďavatarĒ is currently so overdone- with The Last Airbender and the James Cameron movie.

Do you think this reviewer is right?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!
It really depends on your use of the word. I haven't read anything but you description leads me to believe that you are using the word by its textbook definition. I think it is more than ok for you to use it. Critiques are great but it is still your book. If you feel comfortable keeping it then keep it.

The Kingfisher Books
Book 1-
Beneath the Shadow of Long Wings (Completed)

Book 2-
Within a Nest for Shattered Kings
(50,000- ???)

Book 3-
Hold the Kingfisher's Gifts to Bring(???)

The Self Righteous ( 87,000- 80,000- Shelved)

Cathedral's Calling (Sci-Fi 10,000-???)
BabySealWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthoodCrastersBabies is a candidate for sainthood
I also think you're okay. Avatar (the movie) is something completely different than what usually comes to mind when I think of "avatar."

Never saw Avatar: The Last Airbender or whatever it was (movie or television series).

I think of gods inhabiting human form. I have the same concept in my book (though it's part of the mythology, not the present story). I called the original vessels "avatars." It's what they were.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #17
Tezzirax
practical experience, FTW

Tezzirax has a spectacular aura
if you absolutely have to stay clear of the word 'avatar', manifestation has worked for me.

WIP: The Fire of Falraan
Tezzirax is offline   Reply With Quote