Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
MagicWriter
Attack of the Hurricane Turtles!

MagicWriter is on a distinguished road
Favorite Christmas Reading!

Anyone reading any good Christmas or Holiday stories? Just wondering. I'm reading the christmas train by Baldacci, I just started it. Anyone else read any holiday stories that they loved and recommend?
MagicWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Dreity
practical experience, FTW

Dreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of light
Ever year I reread the Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum. My parents used to read it out loud to us kids when we were little. I just love Baum's take on the legend, what with the old school magic and the fairies. I really don't care for what I call Mall Santas, but the idea of a more rustic, woodworking Santa is oddly very heartwarming to me.

My Blog. Longer stuff, but still trying to cut down.
Dreity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
L.C. Blackwell
Keeper of Fort Blanket

L.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputation
I imagine there are still copies out there, maybe even reprints. If so, you need to find The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, starring the Herdman gang.

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.”

-JRR Tolkien
The Hobbit
L.C. Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

Oddly enough, although it's clearly Christmas oriented, the book is really about how to kill the Tooth Fairy...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Dreity
practical experience, FTW

Dreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C. Blackwell View Post
I imagine there are still copies out there, maybe even reprints. If so, you need to find The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, starring the Herdman gang.
How could I forget this! I actually got to play Imogene Herdman my senior year of high school. It was so fun being so mean!

My Blog. Longer stuff, but still trying to cut down.
Dreity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Fir Tree, Hans Christian Anderson

Poignant.
Quote:
"Do you know only one story?" asked the Rats.

"Only that one," answered the Tree. "I heard it on my happiest evening; but I did not then know how happy I was."
Eric shrugged, still smiling.
“You fuckin’ nut,” I said. “You had me going there for a minute.”
“I know.”
“Asshole,” I said.
“Yep.”
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't read Christmas stories, but I'd never go a Christmas without watching The Snowman

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I confess, the idea of seasonal reading is alien to me. It's like when the publishers start advertising their great summer reads. I think, why would I read something different just because it's summer?

Then again, we used to have a small tradition where we'd each write a ghost story and read them to each other on Christmas Eve. That was fun.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
why would I read something different just because it's summer?
My thoughts exactly

Quote:
Then again, we used to have a small tradition where we'd each write a ghost story and read them to each other on Christmas Eve. That was fun.
Aww, that sounds cool. None of my family are remotely into storytelling, although my grandad could always be relied upon to mark any festive occasion by randomly launching into a reminiscence about the war. He was pretty much Uncle Albert, and many many looooong, butt-numbing epics started with the famous words 'During the war...', or 'when I was stationed in Palestine...'

He died this September though, so no war stories this Christmas

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I like the Christmas chapter of The Wind in the Willows. Also, Mr. Woodhouse's daring Christmas Eve visit in Emma. Also the ghost stories M. R. James wrote to entertain friends at the Christmas fireside.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A Chritsmas Carol. I read it every year. It ain't about seasonal reading. I don't read about winter. It's about Christmas, and what Christmas means.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C. Blackwell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreity View Post
How could I forget this! I actually got to play Imogene Herdman my senior year of high school. It was so fun being so mean!

"Hey! Unto you a child is born!"

I LOVED that book!

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
willietheshakes
Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.

willietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
James Joyce's The Dead.

Black Feathers -- 2013
Walk Like A Man -- 2011
Bedtime Story -- 2010
The World More Full of Weeping -- 2009
Before I Wake -- 2006
willietheshakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Buffysquirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
Also, Mr. Woodhouse's daring Christmas Eve visit in Emma.
One egg, lightly boiled, is not harmful.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

The Little Dog Laughed
Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
One egg, lightly boiled, is not harmful.
Only if it is very small, and only if it comes from a Hartfield hen, whose eggs are not like other eggs. But nothing is better than a nice dish of gruel, not too thin, not too thick.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Buffysquirrel

That Frank Churchill is not at all the thing.

The Little Dog Laughed
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
aliceshortcake
Wilde about Oscar

aliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolnessaliceshortcake leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
A Chritsmas Carol. I read it every year. It ain't about seasonal reading. I don't read about winter. It's about Christmas, and what Christmas means.
Quite apart from the book's literary merits, my copy of A Christmas Carol spent twenty years in my long-dead grandparents' old house. All I have to do to be transported back there is to sniff gently as I read it every Christmas! I have nothing against Kindle/Nook but they can't provide you with the olfactory aspect of reading...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Literateparakeet
Nerdy Budgie

Literateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
I heard on a podcast recently that this was common in the Middle Ages, something about the Three Wise Men as sort of zombies or gory ghosts. The speaker speculated that was where Dickens got the idea for The Christmas Carol.

A favorite Christmas book of mine is The Autobiography of Santa Claus by Jeff Guinn. It's a little historical fiction, a little religion, and a lot of fun.

Website/Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Touching His Robe: is available now. The link will take you to my book website.
Literateparakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Bloo
Roofied by Rylan

Bloo is well-respected
Going to echo love for The Best Christmas Pageant Ever! My local community theater group just did the stage version (also written by Robinson, who also wrote the screenplay to the Made for TV movie).

I try and read Baldacci's The Christmas Train every year, it doesn't break any new ground but it's good. Kind of like Grisham's Skipping Christmas (which I also try and read every year)

A Christmas Carol of course

Webpage
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Author Profile
Amazon Page
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Erin Kelly
Writer

Erin Kelly is on a distinguished road
I'm reading a dark fantasy by Maria DeVivo called THE COAL ELF. It's about an elf-girl who mines coal for all the naughty children. It's really good. Check it out if you want an un-holiday story!
P&W Directory Listing
I Tweet, Therefore I Am: @erinkellytweets
BLACKBIRD FLY (HarperCollins, March 2015)
LAND OF FORGOTTEN GIRLS (HarperCollins, 2016)
Erin Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote