Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
ScotsGirl
Love Forever

ScotsGirl is on a distinguished road
Red face (Not So) Newbie, Needs Hugs

I'm technically a newbie in that I just signed up, but I've visited the AW boards for years, read almost all the FAQs and tips, and found them so so helpful. Even though you all don't know me, I feel like I know you! Thank you for allowing me to lurk anonymously for free for all this time. My official sign-up and humble contribution today is long overdue.

Even though I'm relatively social, since I write for a living, I tend to avoid writing at all for fun. I'm terrible at Facebook, Twitter, and I can ignore email like nobody's business. (I love to read it all though!)

What led me to finally take the plunge here now is that today was horrible. The kind of rip-your-heart-out horrible that only other writers could understand. I've been a published writer for years, I've had success and failure, but sometimes the rejection just feels *so* personal.

In short: I need hugs. Hugs from people who understand how it feels. In return, I promise to stop hiding and hug back.
ScotsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Huge hugs to you. Everyone who does this for a living totally knows where you're at right now. Hang in there, though, okay?

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Susie
Thanks, special friend for my avi!
AW's Treasured Chocolate Birthday Lady

Susie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
s to SG and know we're here for you!
Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
ScotsGirl
Love Forever

Thank you!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
rwm4768
practical experience, FTW

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Welcome.

And

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Revising
rwm4768 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolness

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIPs by Scarlet Day:
Shifter Sanctuary 2: Reclaimed

WIPs by as-yet-to-be-determined name(s):
Flip Flops Optional (Contemporary Romantic Comedy)
Saltwater Insanity (Satirical Crime Fiction)
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
L. Y.
\m/

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello. to the Water Cooler!

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Eric Smart
figuring it all out

Eric Smart is on a distinguished road
Hi ScotsGirl,

Welcome as an official member - from a new Newbie.

A hug from from 12,000 miles away and may the hugs keep coming to put a smile on your face.

Eric
Eric Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Darkh0rse
figuring it all out

Darkh0rse is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Darkh0rse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Calliea
Hush, hush...

Calliea is well-respected
Hi and welcome, such a request cannot be denied:

Calliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
regdog
Optimus Prime
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

My Blog-Updated on 8/22/14 Same Place Different Time

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Scotsgirl!

Welcome to AW!

Read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
I'd say I got off lightly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
Griffin Hayes
One evil little baby step at a time

Griffin Hayes is well-respected
Welcome!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
cameomac
Geek girl since 1977

cameomac is well-respected
cameomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
“So, out with it, Dave. Why’d you call?”
I pictured her running the tip of her tongue across her plump upper lip and then, across her plump lower lip; then, sliding those plump, wet lips together.
She always played with her lips like that when she was feeling antsy.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome!
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
Write_Askew

Write_Askew is well-respected
*huge bear hug*

Welcome! You've done the right thing. You already know, I'm sure, this board is full of some of the most caring, compassionate writers you'll ever meet.

Don't let the rejection get you down. You're a writer. You're published. From my point of view you've already done so much. You should be proud of yourself. Rejection is part of the business. It is heart breaking. It hurts. Fortunately, you're a talented word-goddess and you are in command of your own part of the writing universe. You're going to be okay.

In the mean time, get all the hugs you can and if you like, go tour the rejection and dejection thread. It always makes me feel a little better. I suppose its a misery loves company thing, but its nice to feel like you aren't the only one.

It gets better. It does. You wouldn't be published if you weren't already recognized as a wonderful talent. I have faith in you.

*hugs again*
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
Tepelus

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
Robert Gonko

Robert Gonko is on a distinguished road
Cling to the memories of your successes, not the rejections.
Print edition available from CreateSpace
WIP: "Sniper"

Check out my blog: http://robertgonko.wordpress.com
Robert Gonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudge
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #21
starlina

starlina is on a distinguished road
Many hugs on your unhappy day.
starlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #22
drzimo

drzimo is on a distinguished road
Hello!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #23
Centaurus
Into the fray of the query process

Centaurus is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry ScotsGirl. Sending all of my warmest hugs your way
Centaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #24
ScotsGirl
Love Forever

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write_Askew View Post
*huge bear hug*

Welcome! You've done the right thing. You already know, I'm sure, this board is full of some of the most caring, compassionate writers you'll ever meet.
Thank you all so very much! Your words of encouragement meant the world to me. I think I'm ready to go back and tackle this project again!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #25
Write_Askew

Write_Askew is well-respected
That's the spirit!
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote