Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Google Apps for Domains - Not quite so free anymore.

From ZDNet

Perhaps better explained on the enterprise blog

So, individual accounts are still available, small business gets folded into regular business accounts ($50 per user per year)

Quote:
Please note this change has no impact on our existing customers, including those using the free version. And as before, Google Apps for Education will be available as a free service for schools and universities. Also, as the first cloud productivity suite with FISMA certification, we’ll continue to offer Google Apps for Government for $50 per user, per year.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Honestly, even if it cost me $50.00/year (I'm grandfathered in) I'd use Google Apps on servers I admin just for GMail alone.

Mail is one of the heavier burdens on a server with users. It's a PITA, not only in terms of support but in terms of the constant warfare against spam with malware, spam without, spam that's a phishing attempt . . . GMail has demonstrably reduced spam and User support issues on every domain I've associated with Google Apps.

UCLA is saving thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands a year (my guess knowing the costs of local email service and Outlook for Exchange costs), just on currently enrolled students' email after paying Google for universal UCLA access to Google Apps.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So what are Google apps? And will this effect gmail or google docs at all?

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gmail, docs (now in Drive-- docs, spreadsheets, forms, etc.) are Apps.

And yeah, I know you already knew that. But some folks might not... Yet.

(Google spelled sideways is "Borg")

Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Tirjasdyn
Outline Maven

Tirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admiration
Quote:
Please note this change has no impact on our existing customers, including those using the free version. And as before, Google Apps for Education will be available as a free service for schools and universities. Also, as the first cloud productivity suite with FISMA certification, we’ll continue to offer Google Apps for Government for $50 per user, per year.
Key sentence there. I'm with Medievalist. That business expense is pretty much pennies compared to the world of self-host email. ::rocks in a corner, whispering Exchange and Blackberry, over and over again::
Web Designer, Writer

I used to be amused by Utopians. With life experience, I have grown to fear them. The great failing of Utopians is that they can never accept that someone else might not want to
be a part of their utopian vision. Like ill-mannered tourists, they assume that if you don't agree with them, it must be because they're not explaining it simply enough, or often enough, or loudly enough, or ultimately, because you're stupid. Utopians always think achieving Utopia is simply a matter of education—and then re-education—and then coercion, legislation, litigation medication conditioning threats book-burnings eugenics surgical modifications hunting down the counter-revolutionaries killing the reactionaries genetic engineering—and ultimately all Utopians, no matter how nobly they begin, always end up at the same conclusion: that the only thing that keeps Man from building a secular heaven here on Earth is the nature of Man, therefore we must build a New and Better Man.

--The Ranting Room

Insurance is a bet that only the insurance company can win.
Tirjasdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
ereadergold
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ereadergold is on a distinguished road
I was sad to see this, one of the first steps I always take when setting up a new domain is to register it for the Free Google Apps.

Of course all my existing ones are still good.

Google seems to be on a mission to remove all their good free stuff, they also stopped the custom backgrounds last month. Silly feature really but I liked it!

Bill
ereadergold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Gmail, docs (now in Drive-- docs, spreadsheets, forms, etc.) are Apps.

And yeah, I know you already knew that. But some folks might not... Yet.
Actually, I did not know that. I guess it's time to move all my WIPs out if docs and find some new location and to migrate away from gmail.

I already don't use G+ much.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

My understanding is the personal use web apps (mail, Drive, etc.) are still going to be there, SF. This is a change to the small business model.

I do have a couple of domains where I'm going to have to write the check. It's still more than worth it.

Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

Read the Newbie Guide.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Katie Elle
Banned

Katie Elle is well-respected
To clarify, if you were a small business, you used to be able to get an account to use the gmail system with your own domain (rather than @gmail) as long as you had no more than ten users. They already lowered it to 10 from, I can't remember how many earlier.

I have a feeling that for many small businesses, they'll just end up with a gmail.com address.
Katie Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

I think you're right, Miss Katie.

Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

Read the Newbie Guide.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
Just to try and make it clear: this change only affects users of 'Google Apps for Business'. If you use GMail, GDocs etc for personal use (e.g., an @gmail.com or @googlemail.com address) you don't need to worry about this change.

It's a shame, because it was the free service that got me hooked to Google Apps. But I agree, $50 a year is tuppence for the quality of the Apps.

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote