Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
MG Science Fiction book recomendations please?

Hi guys - not sure if I can post this here. Mod, please dispatch at your pleasure.

I'm looking for MG or lower YA science fiction novel recommendations. Ideally I'd like present day, or very near future.
do lot nu dep ao lot nam dep bim cao cap cho be quan ao ban buon vest cong so chup anh cuoi
Cheers!

Last edited by profen4; 05-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I don't read a lot of Sci-fi (I'm mostly a fantasy gal), but I found this reviewer who made a pretty long list of everything she's reviewed. It might give you some ideas:

http://charlotteslibrary.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
I remember loving THE SUPERNATURALIST by Eoin Colfer! Been a while since I've read it, but I seem to recall it bring like Blade Runner for kids (Androids secretly living in a world where they're outlawed).

... Then again, I may be confusing it for a YA idea I had roundabout the same time. Either way, I recommend it!

Dave

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
SheilaJG
practical experience, FTW

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
I think this question came up recently, maybe there's an older thread around here somewhere.

Earlier this year I read A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix, which was really good. Maybe closer to YA.

The True Meaning of Smekday is hilarious.
Larklight by Philip Reeve
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (amazing)
Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow by Nathan Bransford

There are a lot of chapter book series with aliens (Animorphs, Space Brat, My Teacher is an Alien, etc).

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Enzero
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Enzero is on a distinguished road
When you reach me, by Rebecca Stead, if you count time travel as science fiction. Parts of it are set in 1979, though, obviously, not all.
Enzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
A Wrinkle in Time is another classic I just remembered.

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The White Mountain and its sequels by John Christopher. It's a classic, exciting, pretty scary near future story of an Earth conquered by aliens.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Eldritch
practical experience, FTW

Eldritch has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethJMW View Post
I pretty much love everything by Eoin Colfer. His Artemis Fowl series is kind of a mix of fantasy and sci-fi...there's lots of fairies and magic and stuff, but then there's lots of cool tech stuff too.
Just chiming in to say, I love the Artemis Fowl books.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
Much of what I think of might be better classified as fantasy, but I think their is a basis of science in Escape From Witch Mountain. Madeleine L'engle's books may also be better classified as fantasy though one is mentioned above. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH comes to mind too.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
The hard part of your request is present day or very near future. Most sci-fi books take place in the future.

Even stuff like A Wrinkle in Time, which starts out in the present, quickly moves through time.

I recently finished The Transall Saga, it starts out in the present, but moves to the future.

if you are just looking for contemporary Sci-fi, then The Supernaturalist would be a great place to start!
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
NottiThistledore
figuring it all out

NottiThistledore is on a distinguished road
0.4 by Mike Lancaster might suit. And possibly the Pendragon books? There's also Steve Lochran's Vanguard Prime series.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #12
ChristineJ
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ChristineJ is on a distinguished road
Feed, by M.T. Anderson, although it might be considered YA. I started it a couple of years ago and didn't get very far -- I'll have to dig it out again.
ChristineJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineJ View Post
Feed, by M.T. Anderson, although it might be considered YA. I started it a couple of years ago and didn't get very far -- I'll have to dig it out again.
Feed is YA, no question, but it is a good sci-fi recommendation and definitely worth reading.