Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
melindamusil
practical experience, FTW

melindamusil has a spectacular auramelindamusil has a spectacular aura
I'm a little freaked out by my characters...

Not like I'm going to stop, but my characters are going in completely unexpected ways, and to say I am surprised would be an understatement.

Anyone else ever experience this?
melindamusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Unexpected how?

I've had characters change on me. Both looks and personalities as I write them.

I've also had character completely twist stories and work me into a brick wall several times, until I learned how to craft a drill out of cream cheese and burrow my way through.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Last edited by WillSauger; 12-07-2012 at 01:33 AM.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
DanielaTorre
Widely Regarded as a Bad Move

DanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admiration
Never understood when people say this about their characters. You are your character. If the "character" is going one way its because its supposed to. You just have to build your world around said character's choices. Cause and effect. Let them do what they want then make them pay dearly for it. That'll teach 'em.
DanielaTorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I had a character refuse to participate in the love triangle I'd outlined for him because he had no interest in the girl. He picked out a different girl and I had to write her a bigger part in the storyline.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
lbender

lbender is a shiny, shiny jewellbender is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by melindamusil View Post
Not like I'm going to stop, but my characters are going in completely unexpected ways, and to say I am surprised would be an understatement.

Happens all the time. It happens because the character of my character (horrible phrase, but you know what I mean) requires it. If you want your character to behave in a different manner, you have to change them into someone who would do so.
lbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Saying your characters won't behave the way you want them to is just another way of saying you've written yourself into a corner. By this I mean that the sort of character you've created isn't the sort of character who would be likely to do the things you need them to do in the story. It wouldn't ring true, and suspension of disbelief would be compromised.

So, the solution is simple: either rewrite the character to fit the plot, or adapt the plot to fit the character.

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #7
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielaTorre View Post
Never understood when people say this about their characters. You are your character. If the "character" is going one way its because its supposed to. You just have to build your world around said character's choices. Cause and effect. Let them do what they want then make them pay dearly for it. That'll teach 'em.
Well, when people say this, it's that their conscious, which made the plan, was surprised by their subconscious, which decided something different had to happen in order for the characters and story to be the truest or most interesting or most meaningful. It's usually surprising to catch the different parts of your mind being inconsistent with each other.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
DanielaTorre
Widely Regarded as a Bad Move

DanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admirationDanielaTorre has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
Well, when people say this, it's that their conscious, which made the plan, was surprised by their subconscious, which decided something different had to happen in order for the characters and story to be the truest or most interesting or most meaningful. It's usually surprising to catch the different parts of your mind being inconsistent with each other.
Damn, in that case, I want to be bitten by the crazies. Its a Pulitzer in the making.
DanielaTorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
It's usually surprising to catch the different parts of your mind being inconsistent with each other.
This sums it up for me.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
Burl Kenneth Sloan
figuring it all out

Burl Kenneth Sloan is on a distinguished road
Here's something Kurt Vonnegut said about his ability to control his characters (From Breakfast of Champions):

Quote:
Here was the thing about my control over the characters I created: I could only guide their movements approximately, since they were such big animals. There was inertia to overcome. It wasn't as though I was connected to them by steel wires. It was more as though I was connected to them by stale rubber bands.
Burl Kenneth Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
I must go into a fugue state when I write. (Sometimes.) Because more than once I've read back a passage and said wth, I don't remember writing that. Why did he say/do that?

Sometime my characters take on a life all their own, and it's one of the sweetest things about writing. I don't plan much when I write, but often I've ended up walking down Maple Street when I could have sworn I was taking the subway.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
Drey of Boon
The Boon abides

Drey of Boon is on a distinguished road
For me it's one of the great joys of writing when the characters start yanking their leash and leading me down unexpected alleyways. I don't know why or how it happens, but I like to think it's the sign of them becoming more a living breathing thing than a couple of ideas and notes scribbled on some paper. It also helps ensure motivations remain realistic. "You want me to go there and do that? You're joking! I'll be over here doing this, so you better work out how to accommodate me otherwise you're gonna have a problem."

When I see characters being dragged woodenly from one scenario to another like bored kids in a shopping mall I find myself mentally checking out of the story.
Drey of Boon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksen View Post
I must go into a fugue state when I write. (Sometimes.) Because more than once I've read back a passage and said wth, I don't remember writing that. Why did he say/do that?

Sometime my characters take on a life all their own, and it's one of the sweetest things about writing. I don't plan much when I write, but often I've ended up walking down Maple Street when I could have sworn I was taking the subway.
I love it when I write something unexpected and learn something new about my characters. It is one of my favorite things about writing.

Percolating Idea: Victorian, Gilded Age.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #14
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by melindamusil View Post

Oh, yes. They do tend to get notions about their own destinies.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
Maria S

Maria S is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethS View Post
Oh, yes. They do tend to get notions about their own destinies.
I love it when this happens, but it also scares me a little.
Maria S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #16
Broadswordbabe
Chief High Procrastinator

Broadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of light
Your characters going in unexpected directions may be a little scary, but it can be a good sign that they have a depth and direction of their own. I also sometimes find a plot goes in a different direction than I thought it would. This may be because it's become time to write about a subject I need to talk about; sometimes this subject is uncomfortable or scary. It's also something I need to say. So be prepared for that to happen, too.

Dangerous Gifts - A Babylon Steel novel

The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women
Broadswordbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
thepicpic
No longer student. Need new title.

thepicpic is well-respected
When the characters realise I'm not here to boss them about , that I'm just tagging along for the ride and letting them do their thing, that's when it gets really fun.
Especially when they don't work out that, whilst I let them do what they will, I control the universe they inhabit... *evil chuckle*
thepicpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #18
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Let them go. You're still in control, but your subconscious is doing all the heavy lifting, and that's actually how almost all of us write who don't outline. It's a Good Thing. With rare exceptions from truly brilliant writers, few things bore me more than pre-plotted novels where the writer guides the characters through a strict course every step of the way.

Let the characters run, play, get into trouble, go where they will, do as they wish. It's your own subconscious guiding these characters, and chances are it will do a much better job than the preconceived course your conscious mind wants to dictate.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #19
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Me:

My characters:

My writing process:
I pushed myself up from the bench, put my hands behind my head, and started limping over to the gate.
“What the hell happened to you?” Officer Adams said. “Are you injured? Turn around.”
I turned around. “I hurt my knee,” I said. I made eye contact with Kione. He mouthed, Don’t.
I didn’t.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Remember that time your main character started a brawl at a funeral?

No? Well, I do.

Since then, it's become one of my critique group's favorite chapters of all time.

"When it comes down to it it’s always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, it’s won.
Don’t let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
Let them go. You're still in control, but your subconscious is doing all the heavy lifting, and that's actually how almost all of us write who don't outline. It's a Good Thing. With rare exceptions from truly brilliant writers, few things bore me more than pre-plotted novels where the writer guides the characters through a strict course every step of the way.

Let the characters run, play, get into trouble, go where they will, do as they wish. It's your own subconscious guiding these characters, and chances are it will do a much better job than the preconceived course your conscious mind wants to dictate.
Wow, brilliantly said. Better than I did somewhere up there in the thread.

Cuz, yeah I know it's all me who's doing this, but it's on a diff level than me saying: okay, he needs to walk to the river, toss the gun in, then go back to his car.

Then when I write it, the kid tosses the gun in the back of a pickup instead and hikes on down the street to a small store to get a soda, where he runs into someone who's going to really mess up his day.

I love this stuff. It's a big part of why I write.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
Calliea
Hush, hush...

Calliea is well-respected
Yes, yes, yes! And that's the biggest fun in writing for me, though sometimes, I gotta say, a PITA! When one of your main characters comes out of the closet or reveals that she, in fact, is an evil genius and a puppet master responsible for all evil, that's where the fun starts
Calliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #23
Robert Gonko

Robert Gonko is on a distinguished road
I remember one time, years ago, when I was trying to write a novel I may well resurrect someday I had a dream one night where I introduced myself as my lead character to someone. Made myself take a break for a few days after that.
Print edition available from CreateSpace
WIP: "Sniper"

Check out my blog: http://robertgonko.wordpress.com
Robert Gonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #24
Corey LeMoine
A decent fella.

Corey LeMoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post

My only problem with this, is that there is no reason to put down all those who outline or pre plot.

It is entirely possible to outline your whole work and then within the framework of each scene, let your characters act and grow organically. It may mean that you have to make some changes to your outline, sure, but there is no problem with that. It's not like the outline is some mystical contract that you are bound to.

Like everyone else in this thread so far, I find it fascinating to watch the people that I write about act as if own their own. I find out so much more about them through writing than I do when I'm just trying to brainstorm.
Corey LeMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #25
StephanieZie
This IS my sexy face

StephanieZie has a spectacular auraStephanieZie has a spectacular aura
This happened to me with a peripheral character recently. She's my adulterous MC's fiance. When I first imagined her, I had to make her a b*tch, because it was the only way to make MC's infidelity even remotely sympathetic. But I felt that she was a bit flat, so I sat down one night for a few hours and wrote just about her. I found out that she's actually self-sufficient career woman who's completely uninterested in being married or having kids, and her fiance (MC) is, in her eyes, an emotionally stunted manchild who feels emasculated by any woman more assertive than a Stepford wife. I started to like her so much, by the end of this exercise I was actually rooting for her, telling her she didn't need MC anyway.
StephanieZie is offline   Reply With Quote