Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
msd
practical experience, FTW

msd is on a distinguished road
Lengths of my chapters are not uniform

I just completed my twentieth chapter and noticed that the length of my chapters vary a lot.
Two are under 1000 words, seven under 2000 words, five under 3000 words, four under 4000 words and finally two under 5000.

This is my first novel, so should I try to make the lengths of each chapter more uniform?

Wolfgang Riebe

Please forgive any spelling errors; English is not my first language.

msddivers.wix.com
msd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No, it doesn't matter how long they are. In fact, some variation is probably good. Chapters that are always the same length can potentially set up monotonous rhythm. I've sometimes noticed this in my reading.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
What BethS said.

Make your chapters as long as they need to be. Some might need to be three pages, some might need to be ten. Don't sweat it too much, especially if you're still in your first draft.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What jeffo20 said...

I've got chapters over the 10,000word mark, some not even scratching 300words. Doesn't matter.

And I keep this up: The reader won't grow bored of a long chapter because of its length, but because of its content.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
MSD!

Doesn't matter. Just write!

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Fantasmac
chronically underwhelmed

Fantasmac is on a distinguished road
I definitely agree, I've never put down a book because the chapters weren't uniformly distributed. If it really bothers you, combining some of the shorter chapters with scene breaks in between is also an option.
Fantasmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Erin Latimer
Stay in and write.

Erin Latimer is on a distinguished road
Glad I stumbled on this thread, because I was wondering this myself. My chapters are all different lengths.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheELatimer

I Blog:
http://elatimer.com/

I haz the Twitters: http://twitter.com/ELatimerWrites
Erin Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pull out five of your favorite (or recently read) novels and take a peek at their chapters.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
LadyV
Tis the Season to Be Sleepy

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got into the habit of making my chapters uniform in length because I read once in a "How to write a novel" type book that they should be. Apparently this was just the author's opinion. So listen to others. Don't worry about the lengths. Variation is good.

Current WIP: Violet Dagger - Contemporary Fantasy (outlining)
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It always is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyV View Post
Apparently this was just the author's opinion. .
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So, every chapter should be the same length, according to some "experts?" Then, I suppose they should all have the exact same pacing, as well. Absurd? One is no more ridiculous than the other.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Chase
Christmas alphabet: No "L"

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Each chapter must be 5,000 words--no less, no more.

I exaggerate must and the strict limits, however not the bad advice. I can't recall where I heard it, but it's as silly now as it was then.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Colonel Mustard faced Mrs Ponsonby. His finger pointed across the room. "There is the murderer of your late husband." All eyes followed the direction of his pointing finger. "
Oh, drat- that's my 5,000 words used up. Never mind, the clues were there, the reader can work it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Each chapter must be 5,000 words--no less, no more.

I exaggerate must and the strict limits, however not the bad advice. I can't recall where I heard it, but it's as silly now as it was then.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
guttersquid
Riding the crest of a slump.

guttersquid is a splendid one to beholdguttersquid is a splendid one to beholdguttersquid is a splendid one to behold
Chapters are like sentences and paragraphs -- they're as long or short as they need to be.
guttersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I tend to try to keep them above a certain minimum and below a certain maximum--I don't like writing chapters under ten mss pages or over twenty-five--but that's not a hard-and-fast rule (I've certainly broken it) and is just my personal preference. Chapters can be any length you like.

I hate to be That Girl, but look at Mary Higgins Clark. Her chapters are sometimes only a page. Some people believe that really keeps people reading. Whatever works for you is what works.

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Billycourty

Billycourty is on a distinguished road
Great question. One I have been asking myself. Not about longer chapters per se, but about the few tiny ones that have so much impact as stand alones but are so small in comparison with the rest.
Billycourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
I tend to try to keep them above a certain minimum and below a certain maximum--I don't like writing chapters under ten mss pages or over twenty-five--but that's not a hard-and-fast rule (I've certainly broken it) and is just my personal preference. Chapters can be any length you like.
Of the two novel-length manuscripts I've completed, I've found each of them tends to have chapters of similar lengths (with the odd outliers in either direction) within the work. In the first one, they tended towards 2-3000 words; the second, they were much longer. It's just how it wanted to be. I'll also admit that if I have a chapter that runs substantially longer or shorter than the rest, I tend to look at it and see if I can break it up or rework it to come closer to the others. So much for the advice of writing it as long or as short as it has to be, but I'm getting better at ignoring that impulse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
I hate to be That Girl, but look at Mary Higgins Clark. Her chapters are sometimes only a page. Some people believe that really keeps people reading. Whatever works for you is what works.
I read one of James Patterson's books (well, more than one, but this one stuck out in my mind) where the chapters were maybe two or three pages long (small paperback edition, so they were really short). It was the reading equivalent of a strobe light, and extremely annoying.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #18
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I hope it's not an issue, because my chapters range from around 1000 words to around 4500 in my novel. Some of my chapters have several scenes or pov shifts. Others focus on a single character. I've read other books that do it this way, so I think it's okay.

I agree that reading a book where every chapter is exactly the same length, or arbitrarily cropped at a given length, would be monotonous.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Heavenlydemonick

Heavenlydemonick is on a distinguished road
While I agree that it doesn't matter what length your chapters are I did have someone who read my book complain that the first chapter was only ten or so pages and then the second chapter was like 50 pages (I think she missed a chapter in there because it wasn't true but it still shocked me that someone would complain about chapter length of all things.)

Amazon
Facebook
GoodReads
Heavenlydemonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
jmascia

jmascia is on a distinguished road
The only time chapter length is going to matter is when your publisher says it does. Some publishers want your chapters to be uniform, others could care less as long as you're telling an excellent story.

James Mascia
www.islandofdren.com

High School Heroes - NOW AVAILABLE!!!!
L&L Dreamspell Publishing

jmascia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
eyebee14
figuring it all out

eyebee14 is on a distinguished road
Your chapters are as long as you need them to be. If they tell the story, then great! My chapters are all over the place. 3000 to 10000.
eyebee14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
AshleyEpidemic
Azarath Metrion Zinthos

AshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of lightAshleyEpidemic is a glorious beacon of light
Break when necessary. The novel I wrote last month head 20 chapters ranging from 3800 to 6300. On my wip my chapters range from 1600 to 4200. It all depends on what I need to tell that chapter.
AshleyEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote