Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Editor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
OJCade
practical experience, FTW

OJCade has a spectacular aura
How to respond to non-response

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here, please. Some time back I submitted a partial + query to a publisher, and within a week they had asked for the full manuscript. So far so good.

But I haven't heard anything back yet. Now, I know that they're busy, and I've been patient, but it's been very nearly a year now. I sent a couple of polite follow up emails (once at the six month mark, another more recently) saying "could you please check on status of sub" and so forth, but they have been roundly ignored. Total radio silence.

The sub has come from my grad school work, and supervisor says I should ring and ask the editor directly now - but I don't want to be a nuisance.

Is it reasonable to ring at this point, do you think, or should I flag this (reputable, long-standing and good-fit) publisher and try someone else?
OJCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you've sent them a couple of nudges I'd guess that that's it. You're not going to hear from them again.

Sorry, but I think this is a no. Move on. Submit elsewhere.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wouldn't ring, you're unlikely to get an answer other than 'we'll look into it', and then you'll be back into the same routine of waiting around with no further response.

As Old Hack said above, you've sent a few nudges and that should be all you send. If you haven't heard anything by now than the chances are you won't. But then again, in another year, you may. But don't hang around on the off-chance that happens. Send out your subs to somewhere else and hope you have better luck with them.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No, don't call.

If it's been a year then it could be a no.

I would start querying again.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with the others. I know it's a hard nut to swallow, but I think this one's a pass. Move on by querying others.

Disconnected
Undercover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Alternatively, you could send a physical letter with a self addressed stamped postcard and ask them to tick the box of "rejected" vs "under active consideration" vs "haven't had a chance to look at it yet". No guarantee you'll get it back with a box ticked, but it might be worth the dollar or whatever in postage to give it a try.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJCade View Post
Is it reasonable to ring at this point, do you think, or should I flag this (reputable, long-standing and good-fit) publisher and try someone else?
Uhhh... You sent it to ONE publisher and did nothing with it for a year? You are going to starve even more than the rest of us.

Always keep submitting to multiple agents/publishers until you either have a contract or have exhausted every agent/publisher on the planet. If the latter, write a better book and submit again.

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote