Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
nkkingston
Bemused Girl

nkkingston is a shiny, shiny jewelnkkingston is a shiny, shiny jewel
last week's Peep Show episode

Anyone else catch it? It's on 4OD (which presumably isn't accessible outside the UK, but who knows?) if you didn't.

Mark gets snared by a vanity publisher, and it so perfectly highlights the way vanity pubs prey on authors that I'd swear one of the writers has been through it his/herself. You know, "everyone pays to be published now", "it's the recession", "no one gets a tour unless they're already famous", "you get higher royalties when you sell over a certain number of books which I just know you will" etc. It made for interesting watching for me because I've known several people who, despite warnings, have fallen for the exact same patter. I'm kinda hoping if they see it they'll recognise their publishers for what they really are, and realise that it's not an insult to their intelligence to fall for it, either.

(if you haven't seen Peep Show before, it's entirely shot in PoV with a lot of internal dialogue. Mark, neurotic history buff, used to work in insurance, but got made redundant and has had a string of high street jobs since. Jez thinks of himself as a musician, though he's mainly supported by his parents and Mark. It's been running for 8 years and is one of the UK's most successful sitcoms.)

Hungry? Check out my other half's blog Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen.
nkkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Correct. Not available outside UK.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The first 7 seasons are available on Hulu; don't know about current episodes. I've watched a little, but couldn't get into it. (Though I really liked That Mitchell and Webb Look.)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Manuel Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For those Brits wanting to occasionally watch Hulu, or Americans wanting our iPlayer/4od stuff, try Tunnelbear.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
You can also catch repeats on Youtube (it's a great show btw).

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
idontknowwhatimdoing
Procrastinator

idontknowwhatimdoing has a spectacular aura
Oh man, Peep Show is one of my top three shows EVER. I can't wait til I can watch season 8 over here. Poor Mark.
idontknowwhatimdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Manuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsManuel Royal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay -- gave it another try on Hulu. Getting into it. So much British humor is based on quiet desperation and terminal awkwardness.

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

I've been watching the whole series; now on Season 8. (Sorry; I mean Series 8. Confusing.)

So I've just watched the episode in question (Series 8, Episode 2). Wow. If you've watched the show much, you've seen Mark humiliated many times, but this was especially painful. Not only was he taken in by a vanity press, but Jeremy (and even Super Hans, for God's sake) knew better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy's internal monologue
I could write a book. Piece of piss! "Chapter One: The End." There you go: book.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
JournoWriter
Just the facts, please

JournoWriter has a spectacular auraJournoWriter has a spectacular aura
What is "a string of high street jobs"?
JournoWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Manuel Royal
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JournoWriter View Post
Not sure. Since his old employer abruptly went out of business (in the U.K., anyway), Mark has tried out as a historical tour guide, been partners in a possibly nonexistent business with his man-crush Johnson, worked in a Mexican restaurant, and been an unsuccessful bathroom-fixtures salesman.

ETA: Damn it! Just watched the last episode. There's a ninth series in the offing, but that might not be 'til Fall. I've gotten spoiled on a little Peep Show every day.

Last edited by Manuel Royal; 02-21-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
zahra
and she was never seen again

zahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JournoWriter View Post
Jobs businesses you'd find along any high street, ie, one-to-one selling in shops, estate agents' etc, rather than the high-end white-collar jobs he so craves. Poor Mark.
OPEN HOUSE About to start
UNEARTHED You're next, love.
zahra is offline   Reply With Quote