Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
Dunked in a barrel of bleach water

So I understand that being dunked in a barrel of bleach water would be highly dangerous and uncomfortable (red skin, burning, rashes). But what would it do your hair? Would that have basically the same effect as bleaching your hair blonde? Or would it make your hair fall out? Make it dry and brittle?

Thanks for any feedback
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
neilfriske
practical experience, FTW

neilfriske is on a distinguished road
if it was pure bleach it would hurt like a bitch and your hair would go blonde. I don't think it would fall out.
neilfriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
It depends - you knew I was going to say that didn't you?
Depends on how strong the bleach is, how long the subject is in the bleach and whether they get to rinse it off soon after. Is this industrial or domestic bleach?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfriske View Post
if it was pure bleach it would hurt like a bitch and your hair would go blonde. I don't think it would fall out.
No, not pure bleach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
It depends - you knew I was going to say that didn't you?
It always depends, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Depends on how strong the bleach is, how long the subject is in the bleach and whether they get to rinse it off soon after. Is this industrial or domestic bleach?
Let's say domestic bleach, reasonably strong (strong enough to cause an incredibly strong chemically smell and strong enough to give you a rash) but not strong enough to kill you. Think heavy-duty disinfectant. The character's in the water for about a minute total, completely submerged for approx. twenty seconds.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
jclarkdawe
Feeling lucky, Query?

jclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjclarkdawe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Clorox recommends a ration of 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, or a ration of 1 part bleach to 256 parts water for disinfecting. When cleaning stock tanks, I dump a gallon of bleach into 125 gallons of water, or a ration of 1:125. Usually clean the sides of the tank and bottom by sticking a sponge into the water with my hand and swirling it against the sides and bottom. I end up smelling of bleach, prefer not to splash myself, notice sort of a greasy feel to the water, but other then that, no harm, no foul.

If you're talking a standard barrel, you're talking 55 gallons. (Sixty if you stuff it to the brim.) If you dump a gallon in, this is about double what I work with or four and a half times Clorox's recommendation. Might turn your hair white but probably not, will feel a bit funky, will stink a lot, but probably not that harmful.

Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for Clorox bleach. It's a PDF file that will download onto your computer. Even a 100% mix seems to only cause minor irritation.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

GEORGE'S STORY MORTON'S FORK Let's see how many agents I can catch with the query

THE NEXT STEP ASHES TO ASHES INTO THE VALLEY (48,00079,000 words) Need to up my game.

THE PICTURE Might be my next project.
jclarkdawe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
frankiebrown
Simplify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarkdawe View Post
Clorox recommends a ration of 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water, or a ration of 1 part bleach to 256 parts water for disinfecting. When cleaning stock tanks, I dump a gallon of bleach into 125 gallons of water, or a ration of 1:125. Usually clean the sides of the tank and bottom by sticking a sponge into the water with my hand and swirling it against the sides and bottom. I end up smelling of bleach, prefer not to splash myself, notice sort of a greasy feel to the water, but other then that, no harm, no foul.

If you're talking a standard barrel, you're talking 55 gallons. (Sixty if you stuff it to the brim.) If you dump a gallon in, this is about double what I work with or four and a half times Clorox's recommendation. Might turn your hair white but probably not, will feel a bit funky, will stink a lot, but probably not that harmful.

Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for Clorox bleach. It's a PDF file that will download onto your computer. Even a 100% mix seems to only cause minor irritation.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe
Superbly helpful, as always, jclark. Thanks so much.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
King Neptune
God of the Oceans

King Neptune is a splendid one to beholdKing Neptune is a splendid one to beholdKing Neptune is a splendid one to behold
In times past I worked in a yarn dye house, and there were a variety of nasty substances around, but there was no chlorine bleaso I can't speak to that, but ammonia and lye were used for bleaching, and either will kill. Touching some was no problem, but one day someone spilled some amonia and passed out for the fumes. No one ever put a hand into a vat of boiling lye solution that bleached the excess dye from equipment. If you are setting it in an industrial setting, the you might want to change the chemical.
King Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
debirlfan
practical experience, FTW

debirlfan is on a distinguished road
When my father had a serious infection, they soaked his leg in the whirlpool in Dakin's solution - which is basically diluted bleach. (and yes, it works.)
debirlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
If the character's eyes and nostrils get in the bleach that seems like it would be a much bigger problem than the hair.

I've bleached my hair and it took 10 minutes to go pale yellow with a mix of bleach strong enough to cause eye damage if one were clutzy enough to get it in their eye and not rinse it immediately.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'd be worried about eyes, nostrils and other mucous membranes.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
StormChord
Allegedly Gullible

StormChord is a glorious beacon of lightStormChord is a glorious beacon of light
The hair would go blonde and maybe become more brittle, but it won't all fall out. Their eyes would be more worrying. They'd probably go blind if any of the solution got in their eyes - the eyes would at least be damaged, and they'd have difficulty seeing clearly for a while.

I would be a merry wanderer of the night, but my city has curfew laws.

I'm not really crazy, I just like exploring all possibilities in things. If that happens to include angry flying bicycle catfish, that's not my problem.
StormChord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolness
Duration?

I use straight bleach from the bottle for cleaning infections and drying up poison ivy. No lasting effect on skin, no burning, rash, etc. I have worked with barrels of disinfecting bleach solutions, arms fully submerged, with no change to skin of feeling.

Stings in the eyes, smells and is hell on my jeans, but no real medical effects.

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote