Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
3Dynamic
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

3Dynamic is on a distinguished road
Another newbie

Well hello...

I am new to all of this and just wanted to now formally say hello.

As a technical writer, I have never had a problem. We (my collaborator and I) have just signed with a major textbook publisher for a fairly large advance on a new textbook.

But I have a hobby in writing fiction. A few of my essays have appeared in newspapers - family humor kind of stuff.

At the late age of 42 I became a father. And I wrote a novel for my young daughter. It was kind of like Harry Potter, but it used science, not magic to drive the fantasy. And it was for girls. And it failed. But it failed an ugly death with me in denial for about five years. Finally I realized the plot was deficient. And I really wrote it for my daughter.

Then my son was born. And for a few years I worried that I did not have a story for him. But I did. Oh boy, did I.

I am one of the very unfortunate men who did not realize how good a man his own father was until it was too late. (When my father was dying, he called me from NY to California, and apologized. But I was too arrogant to return the apology, too. It is my scar.)

So, I began to sketch a story for my son. It was modeled on my relationship with my own father. The sketch has been in my head for years.

I am now on sabbatical in Norway. And in between my many jobs (teaching on line from here to US, research project, textbook), I spent two hours a day, for six months, to knock off this fiction.

It has been extremely painful for me to revisit things. This has not been easy. The most difficult part is to make sure the novel is not so personal that it does not have appeal. But it is done. (I suppose that is what one agent meant when he said the discussions between the father and son in my story is so real and vivid. It is based on an extremely personal and painful memory.)

Anyway, now I wait to hear what the agents say. I sort of expect they will reject it to. I sense a few more flaws in the story.

Anyway... this is who I am... Just wanted to say hello and set the records straight.

(These last few months have been very painful for me as I see my relationship with a man who I never knew I loved so much until it was too late, so I am sorry if things came out the wrong way.)

So I know there are typos in what I just typed but I am just going to submit it.

Hi...
3Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
regdog
Kreon Barricade
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

We have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi 3Dynamic!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about this software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!
See if Katiemac has the answer here.

Check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area
and explained here. This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work *Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Tepelus
Local Cemetery Girl

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
Hi and welcome to AW!
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudge
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Nickie
Not too old to learn

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Hello, and welcome to the Cooler.
Nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Hellooo!

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
drzimo
practical experience, FTW

drzimo is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Forum!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
L. Y.
\m/

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello. to the Water Cooler!

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Welcome.

WIP:
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Querying
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Shadowstorm (Epic Fantasy): 7,000/120,000
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #13
Griffin Hayes
One evil little baby step at a time

Griffin Hayes is well-respected
Welcome!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
hannahward07

hannahward07 is on a distinguished road
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #15
captain_ryan
THE BEARD IS BACK, BABY!

captain_ryan is a glorious beacon of lightcaptain_ryan is a glorious beacon of light
What a great story.

I wish you the best on the novel(s), and I hope you hear some good things.

If you DO get rejection, there are a lot of places here to hone your craft and sharpen that sword. No is just a stepping stone on the way to victory. Get your post count up, and post in the Share Your Work sections. Be welcome to criticisms, because they'll help the story (and maybe even you) get stronger. I know they've helped me.

Welcome, friend.

"Dying while writing has got to be
captain_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote