Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am A DARK AND TERRIBLE STALKER OF THE NIGHT!

So, I'm getting close to wrapping up a novel of mine (and it is gone quite well) and I was kicking around some ideas.

And I had an idea which might be the best...or worst idea of all time.

Here's the premise. Ian is your regular teenager. He's going to graduate soon, he loves comic books, he's got friends and so on. He is also gay. One day, Ian is out hanging with friends at a con and he meets Zack. Zack is gorgeous and easily the best vampire LARPer that Ian has ever seen. They hit it off...and then it turns out that Zack is actually a vampire.

He turns Ian (haven't quite figured out why, but that's inconsequential for the most part)

Then Ian goes, "Oh wow...I'm a vampire!"

"Yes."

"I'm immortal."

"Unless you get set on fire, staked through the heart, or exposed to sunlight."

"I'm super strong?"

"Well, yes, you have the strength of ten men, are superhumanly fast, can fly, hypnotize people-"

"I...can fly?"

"Yes, just don't do it on camera."

"Sure. Okay. I won't."

Then later that evening, Zack is sipping some microwaved blood from a blood pack. He turns on the news and the story at 11? A masked, costumed individual flew into a bank, foiled a bank robbery, and then flew out.

Cue bloody spit-take.

For Ian has become...A SUPERHERO!

Zack is not amused.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
That is a really awesome idea

Tempting the Unicorn

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Erin Kelly
Writer

Erin Kelly is on a distinguished road
Ha, that's great. Love it.
P&W Directory Listing
I Tweet, Therefore I Am: @erinkellytweets
BLACKBIRD FLY (HarperCollins, March 2015)
LAND OF FORGOTTEN GIRLS (HarperCollins, 2016)
Erin Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
ladybritches
late to the party

ladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewelladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewel
Ha,ha. Sounds pretty fun, except for the microwaved blood part. Blech!
ladybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, it needs to be warm.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
KateSmash
[Insert something witty here]

KateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolness
DO IT! DO IT RIGHT FREAKING NOW!

*ahem* I mean, yes, that is an idea so terrible that it comes all the way back around to awesome. And I would be most amused if you pursued it.
KateSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Awesome idea, Zoom, but you don't microwave blood. The radiation destroys the cells, removing any potential nutritional value in them - remember, blood's not meant to ever rise above 100 degrees, Fahrenheit. And bagged blood is already nasty as it includes chemical anti-coagulants to make it viable for transfusion.

IF your vamp needs to use the pre-bagged stuff, then he should heat a pot of water (that he can nuke) and lay the bag in it once it's hot. The blood will heat slowly and radiation free. You'll have a much happier blood-sucker.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
TheIT
Opening the door...

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Go for it! Sounds like fun.

NaNoWriMo 2013: Abyss, Part 1 - Anyone want to go for a swim?

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
The_Ink_Goddess
the not happened yet

The_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolnessThe_Ink_Goddess leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
Awesome idea, Zoom, but you don't microwave blood. The radiation destroys the cells, removing any potential nutritional value in them - remember, blood's not meant to ever rise above 100 degrees, Fahrenheit. And bagged blood is already nasty as it includes chemical anti-coagulants to make it viable for transfusion.

IF your vamp needs to use the pre-bagged stuff, then he should heat a pot of water (that he can nuke) and lay the bag in it once it's hot. The blood will heat slowly and radiation free. You'll have a much happier blood-sucker.
Hahaha, I think Cyia is like the cool mom and Zoombie is like the crazy uncle of the YA cooler.

When not crying, sleeping, writing or studying, I tweet here

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
- A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
The_Ink_Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
ladybritches
late to the party

ladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewelladybritches is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Well, it needs to be warm.
Quote:

Oh, god! Where's the little barfing smiley?
ladybritches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
heyheymse
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

heyheymse is on a distinguished road
Suddenly the warm, dark red glass of mulled wine I'm drinking seems a lot less appealing.

...oh, who am I kidding, it's still delicious.

Current WIP: Liberalia (YA Historical/Supernatural) - 16,500/75,000
heyheymse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Once a vampire-writer, always a vampire-writer. "How to best prepare bagged blood" is kid-stuff.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
idontknowwhatimdoing
Procrastinator

idontknowwhatimdoing has a spectacular aura
Quote:

I love that you know this.
idontknowwhatimdoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
SBibb
practical experience, FTW

SBibb is a shiny, shiny jewelSBibb is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknowwhatimdoing View Post
I love that you know this.
Agreed. :-D

Also have to say, the idea does sound humerous. :-)

Current Works:

Distant Horizon - Book 1 (YA/NA Science Fiction): Betas
Distant Horizon - Book 2: Editing
Distant Horizon - Book 3: Rough Draft In Progress
Glitch - Editing (NA SF)
Messenger of Gaia - (Adult/NA SF) Editing

Looking for cover illustration?
http://sbibb.deviantart.com
SBibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #15
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Please do this.
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #16
Katallina
practical experience, FTW

Katallina has a spectacular auraKatallina has a spectacular aura
That sounds like a fun premise. Go for it! (Things to consider: What is the vampire 'culture' of this world? Are they open or secretive? "Good", "Evil", "Neutral"? Why is Zack appalled? Is what Ian has done cheesy? Is Zack an older vamp who has become somewhat jaded? Are there rules in place that Ian has broken? And based on all of this, what will Zack do? And how will Ian react?) Definitely much to consider.

Sweet Rebellion -- 17,500 / 60,000
(NA contemporary romance)
"I am the next in line."

My Blog <3 On Facebook <3 On Twitter <3 GoodReads
Katallina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #17
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for President
This sounds so cool! Except for the blood bit -

*has Breaking Dawn: Part 1 flashback about Bella's blood-cup*

*throws up in mouth*

But yeah, do it!

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp. Querying.

UNTITLED - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
Broadswordbabe
Chief High Procrastinator

Broadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of light
Oh, please write this! It sounds hilarious. You could have so much fun playing with vampire tropes, superhero tropes...damn, I wish I'd thought of it!

Dangerous Gifts - A Babylon Steel novel

The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women
Broadswordbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Trevor Z
Learning About New Fish

Trevor Z is on a distinguished road
I know there's a batman joke in here somewhere...
Trevor Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Corinne Duyvis
My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
Would. Read.

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
Erin Latimer
Stay in and write.

Erin Latimer is on a distinguished road
Quote:

How to Care for Your Vampire 101

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheELatimer

I Blog:
http://elatimer.com/

I haz the Twitters: http://twitter.com/ELatimerWrites
Erin Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
Zoombie
AW Moderator

All right! I'll write it.

...you'll just have to wait a bit, because literally the day after I had this idea, my editor dumped a huge rewrite on me.

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
Rufus Coppertop
Kissy kissy! Numnumnum!

Rufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRufus Coppertop is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How long do we have to wait?

I. want. to. read. it. now.!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
nightowling
Maybe it was Utah.

nightowling is on a distinguished road
This sounds really fun
nightowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #25
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Coppertop View Post
How long do we have to wait?

I. want. to. read. it. now.!
Well...

First, I have to finish editing Shattered Sky, adding in stakes, romantic tension, conspiracies and maybe a few action packed gun fights.

Then I have to finish writing Worldshard. Wherein, I hasten to remind you, the main character is a badass winged steampunk cyborg golem armed with a lightsaber and a combination between Captain America's vibranium shield and a chainsaw.

THEN I should really polish and send off my Warhammer 40,000 short stories to the Black Library. If I get extraordinarily lucky, they'll want to buy my short stories. Which would be awesome, because WH40K - despite having the coolest spaceship designs EVER - has almost no stories about the Imperial Navy.

Hence why I stole borrowed Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, put it in space and BAM! WH40K short story.

Then I can write Dark And Terrible Stalker of the Night. Or, as I wil call it, DaTSotN!

Dat-Sonnet!

Like dat ass.

BUY MY BOOK HERE!

Last edited by Zoombie; 12-08-2012 at 12:43 PM.