Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Sound of Music Remake

Did you guys see this? Apparently, Carrie Underwood will play Maria. I'm in love with the original. My sisters and I watched it too many times to count and knew every single word and dance move and voice inflections and roll of the eyes and EVERYthing.

And I had a crush on the captain.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/carrie-unde...155900104.html
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Alpha Echo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh good gawd -- who on earth thought THIS was a good idea????

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Aww....I LOVE the movie!!! You can bet I'll watch it, though, I don't think Carrie Underwood holds a candle to Julie Andrews. Much as I love her.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
Oh good gawd -- who on earth thought THIS was a good idea????
QFT. Seriously.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Kzordcid
I rite good

Kzordcid is on a distinguished road
Hm, sounds interesting. The Sound of Music is my favorite movie, and while I wouldn't be a fan of a full scale remake, this just seems to be a recording of the Broadway show. Not sure how I feel about Carrie Underwood as Maria, but I'll give it a shot.
Kzordcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Toothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Meh it's for television, a one off special. I'd be more upset if they were going big budget movie trying to top the original kind of thing. I bet if it's a live concert/show they'll even have Julie Andrews in the audience, she's awesome that way (though no pressure Carrie ).

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank God! I was beginning to worry that we'd already remade every film ever made!
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
Meh it's for television, a one off special. I'd be more upset if they were going big budget movie trying to top the original kind of thing. I bet if it's a live concert/show they'll even have Julie Andrews in the audience, she's awesome that way (though no pressure Carrie ).
Haha. I have to agree, though. I'd be upset if there was a full scale remake, but I'll watch this one. That would be cool to see Julie Andrews in the audience. She is so classy.
T.H Lawrence

Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is it some kind of "set-in-the-south" version? Because there's no way she's going to lose that twang.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
Meh it's for television, a one off special. I'd be more upset if they were going big budget movie trying to top the original kind of thing.

Ditto.

I tend to think of TV musicals more like wide-release stage plays. They don't bother me as 'remakes' because they're not really remakes. They're new productions with a new cast.

I'm still boggled by the casting, but I'm also intrigued enough to see how it works out.

The musical the *should* do is Wicked. The girl who plays Rachel on Glee looks and sounds so much like Idina Menzel, she's perfect for Elphaba.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
Every Christmas my fam gets together and watches The Sound of Music. Such a classic--Julie Andrews is wonderful.

Sure CU's got some pipes, but the movie's about so much more than just singing. I'll be a skeptic viewer, and like others have mentioned, I'm very glad it's not a full-scale remake.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
Ditto.

I tend to think of TV musicals more like wide-release stage plays. They don't bother me as 'remakes' because they're not really remakes. They're new productions with a new cast.

I'm still boggled by the casting, but I'm also intrigued enough to see how it works out.

The musical the *should* do is Wicked. The girl who plays Rachel on Glee looks and sounds so much like Idina Menzel, she's perfect for Elphaba.
Didn't Idina Menzel play Rachel's mother? I don't remember.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Beatlemaniac
Imma Mum-Mum

Beatlemaniac is on a distinguished road
As much as I love Carrie Underwood (and I really do), there is no way I'm going to watch a version of The Sound of Music without Julie Andrews!

Some things need to be left alone...like Casablanca. I read somewhere there is talk of remaking that classic film (why don't they really tear my heart out and remake The African Queen into a slapstick comedy while they're at it...)

No, no, a thousand times no! How could anyone replace Bogie and Bergman? Please.

What the hell happened to originality?

Sorry for the mini-rant...

"I have a distinct feeling about people who think of writing. It is this—if anything can stop them, it is probably no great loss."--Alexander Woollcott

Beatlemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrastersBabies View Post
Didn't Idina Menzel play Rachel's mother? I don't remember.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlemaniac View Post
Some things need to be left alone...like Casablanca. I read somewhere there is talk of remaking that classic film
They're talking sequel, not remake. The exec's granddaughter has the script penned by Casablanca's writers, which was never filmed. Bogart's descendants are the main opposition.

I've always thought that one would be perfect for a remake. You can tell there are places the script wanted to be darker and grittier, but the censors wouldn't allow it (same with It's a Wonderful Life, of all things. Mr. Potter's comeuppance was cut out.) Remember, it was actually a stage play first, so the dynamics were a bit different. I'd love to see the story as the writer originally intended.

However, I retract that statement if the best they can do is another Maltese Falcon-into-Swordfish conversion.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleyanLee View Post
QFT. Seriously.
+1

"When it comes down to it it’s always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, it’s won.
Don’t let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
Bloo
Roofied by Rylan

Bloo has a spectacular auraBloo has a spectacular aura
Quote:
As much as I love Carrie Underwood (and I really do), there is no way I'm going to watch a version of The Sound of Music without Julie Andrews!
so you would never watch a stage version of SoM without Julie Andrews?

I guess it really doesn't bother me since the movie is based on a stage show and stage shows are done by different actors, different directors, different visions, all the time and having another version gives the chance for a new audience to see it that may not watch Julie's original (I'm thinking of someone like my 15 year old sister who if it hasn't come out in the past 5 years thinks it's "old" and won't watch).

I'm not saying Carrie Underwood is right for the role of Maria, because I don't and it feels like stunt casting to me, but I guess I just don't see what the big deal is.

Now movies, converted to stage shows, converted to movies THAT'S a totally different back

Webpage
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Author Profile
Amazon Page
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Beatlemaniac
Imma Mum-Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
Yep.

They're talking sequel, not remake. The exec's granddaughter has the script penned by Casablanca's writers, which was never filmed. Bogart's descendants are the main opposition.

I've always thought that one would be perfect for a remake. You can tell there are places the script wanted to be darker and grittier, but the censors wouldn't allow it (same with It's a Wonderful Life, of all things. Mr. Potter's comeuppance was cut out.) Remember, it was actually a stage play first, so the dynamics were a bit different. I'd love to see the story as the writer originally intended.

However, I retract that statement if the best they can do is another Maltese Falcon-into-Swordfish conversion.
A sequel, eh? Yep, you're right--I goofed on that one! I could have sworn what I read (in Parade Magazine) said it was to be remake of the original film, but I just double-checked and it said "sequel". Oops, my bad.

I can understand your comment about making things in the film darker and grittier, most definitely. But, I just can't picture anyone else (actor-wise) related to that movie but Bogie and Bergman.

The reason why I even made a comment in the first place is that I'm so sick of Hollywood just remaking movie after movie instead of doing something original. Yes, I know back in Hollywood's Golden Era, films were remade then too, but not at the frequency they are today.

A Maltese Falcon-into-Swordfish conversion? Oh dear God, I so hope not...

"I have a distinct feeling about people who think of writing. It is this—if anything can stop them, it is probably no great loss."--Alexander Woollcott

Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
Beatlemaniac
Imma Mum-Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
so you would never watch a stage version of SoM without Julie Andrews?
Honestly, I don't know. I so associate Julie Andrews with SoM, I'm not sure if I would. And it would also depend who's in the stage show as well. I mean, look at how many Broadway shows have a big name star while in New York, and then when it goes out on the road, the production suddenly has someone who's not in the caliber as the "big name star" and the whole thing gets cheesy.

And no, I'm not saying Carrie Underwood is cheesy either--like I said, I do like her music. The girl definitely can sing--hell, I voted for her on Idol (the only season I ever watched it, and that was because I accidentally came across her singing one night and thought she was terrific).

Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I must be the only one who despised the original, much as I like Julie Andrews' voice. Too treacly for me.

As for the sequel...pass.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #20
regdog
Kreon Prowl and Skywarp
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For the love of Dawg, why?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm fearing the day they remake Heaven Knows Mister Allison.

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #21
Bloo
Roofied by Rylan

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know. I so associate Julie Andrews with SoM, I'm not sure if I would. And it would also depend who's in the stage show as well. I mean, look at how many Broadway shows have a big name star while in New York, and then when it goes out on the road, the production suddenly has someone who's not in the caliber as the "big name star" and the whole thing gets cheesy.

And no, I'm not saying Carrie Underwood is cheesy either--like I said, I do like her music. The girl definitely can sing--hell, I voted for her on Idol (the only season I ever watched it, and that was because I accidentally came across her singing one night and thought she was terrific).
Interesting. I'm not that attached to SoM or Andrews role in it, so maybe that plays into it. I'm also a theatre person so...

I don't think I've ever seen a stage show that is "cheesy" without a big name attached, at least not a traveling show. IN fact I saw a production of Wicked without Idina or Kristen that I thought was in ways better. I've also seen two different productions of In The Heights without star/writer Lin-Manuel Miranda and I thought they were just as good. To me it's about the material not the star.

Now I've seen some bad community theater performances...

Webpage
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Author Profile
Amazon Page
Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #22
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by regdog View Post
For the love of Dawg, why?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm fearing the day they remake Heaven Knows Mister Allison.
---

You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

That was a great movie and I couldn't really see anyone else in Mitchum's role. Kerr's either, for that matter.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:07 AM   #23
Bloo
Roofied by Rylan

in other remake musicals news, Barbara Streistand is in the midst of remaking Gypsy, with her as Rose and she wants to cast Lady Gaga Louise

Webpage
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Author Profile
Amazon Page
Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #24
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I saw it once just to say I've seen it.