Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
ZoeYork
practical experience, FTW

ZoeYork is on a distinguished road
What are you reading right now?

I stopped at the used bookstore on my way home last night and picked up a couple of older Rachel Gibson books from the Chinook series. I love RG so much, her books are like sinking into a warm bath of hope and sexual tension. Stormed through most of one before I went to bed. I have some beta reading to do, so I've promised myself that I can finish this one tonight but I won't start the other one until after I get notes back on those.

1st Novel (The Year of Kate): On hold at 18,000/65,000 words while I work on ...
Untitled Christmas Novella: 12,000/25,000 words
ZoeYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Write_Askew

Write_Askew is well-respected
I've recently come into a mass amount of romance novels thanks to my local friends of the library sale. I got nearly 100 of them for $5. It was awesome. I've been plowing through them like crazy.

I just finished reading Scandalous by Candace Camp. I've got One Dance With a Duke by Tessa Dare in my line up now.

You'll have to let me know how the Chinook series is, I'm always looking for something new and interesting.
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
neilfriske

neilfriske is on a distinguished road
I actually have a really bad attention span when it comes to fiction. Most of the time I read history books. I'm something of an oddity, you see.
neilfriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Write_Askew

Neilfriske- If you like reading non-fiction historical books you should check out Allison Weir's The Life of Elizabeth I. I really loved it. It gave me a ton of insight into the culture as well as Elizabeth I's life. Definitely worth a look...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
neilfriske

neilfriske is on a distinguished road
I'll put it on my to do list, thanks.
neilfriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
ZoeYork

Tessa Dare is great!

I really like the Chinook series. In fact, the only RG book that I haven't adored is the 4th Writers book, the one with Adele and Zach. It has a weird supernatural twist that doesn't work because it's so far outside of what she normally writes, and the rest of the book is straight up RG ... I was very disappointed when I read that one.

1st Novel (The Year of Kate): On hold at 18,000/65,000 words while I work on ...
Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
Write_Askew

Yeah, I keep hearing Tessa Dare is an exceptional author. Its why she's on my to-read list. I've never heard a bad thing about her. Every time I stumble into a conversation about favorite romance authors, she comes up. I figure I ought to read one or two of hers.

I recently was told to check out Christina Dodd too, she's supposed to be a good read. I did, and I wasn't disappointed. I'll be sure to check out the Chinook series now. Then I can get back to you and we can compare notes...
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
oldhousejunkie

oldhousejunkie is on a distinguished road
I've got Julianne MacLean's "To Marry the Duke", Jennifer Ashley's "Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage", and Kat Martin's "Rule's Bride" lined up as soon as they arrive at my local library. I'm going to be busy apparently.

My attempt at self-publishing: "Rebel Heart"
Amazon
oldhousejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Write_Askew

I dunno, Junkie, if you're anything like me, you'll have them done in a couple of days. I have a huge library in my home and I usually end up re-reading something, or trying out one of the books my partner picks out to read to keep me busy until I feel like its been long enough for me to justify getting another new book. They're a terrible addiction, books...I used to have a formal dining room. Now its full of books, with my computer crammed in the corner.

Yesterday I was out and about and I picked up The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James to read until my Tessa Dare books come in. Has anyone read this one?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
ZoeYork

I've only read one Eloisa James book, many years ago. I'm not by default a historical fan, although if a book gets talked about enough then my curious nature wins out. I'm such a joiner.

I really want to read Sarah Maclean, for example, because I've heard from a number of people that Eleven Ways to (Something Something) a Duke is the best book ever. Now I want to see what all the fuss is about.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
ZoeYork

Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart. I got all but Eleven and Duke wrong.
http://www.amazon.ca/Eleven-Scandals...4718064&sr=8-4

And my default book search option, amazon.ca, only has one negative review. But seriously, I've only heard good things about it until today!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Write_Askew View Post
Yeah, I keep hearing Tessa Dare is an exceptional author. Its why she's on my to-read list. I've never heard a bad thing about her. Every time I stumble into a conversation about favorite romance authors, she comes up. I figure I ought to read one or two of hers.
OMG I love Tessa Dare
I've read all her Spindle Cove books, but not any of her others. A Week to be Wicked is my favorite.
LJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Write_Askew

^^^ That's what I'm talking about. I've never heard Tessa Dare mentioned without an "OMG I Love" before it. I need those books to come in soon.

Zoe- I'm a huge historical fan, so I tend to get caught up in them. I read modern ones, but sometimes they feel...impractical. I hate a book where I'm going "What normal woman would do that?" and unfortunately, I keep running into those.

There must be a thing about lists...I just read "Nine Rules to Break when Romancing a Rake" and it was adorable.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
CelesteBC

CelesteBC is on a distinguished road
I am also a huge fan of Tessa Dare. I think her Wanton Dairymaid trilogy is my favorite, although that may just be because that was the first series of hers that I read. I am working my way through Spindle Cove now, although apparently so is everyone else in town because they are always checked out at the library.

Eloisa James' Desperate Duchesses are my all time favorite romance novels.

I am currently reading The Truth About Lord Stoneville by Sabrina Jeffries. It is ok, kinda of funny but not earth shattering.
CelesteBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
TorontoGirl
Write on, write on...

TorontoGirl is on a distinguished road
I just discovered Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Making my way through the third book now: No Rest for the Wicked

TorontoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #16
ZoeYork

Maya Banks was raving about Cole on Twitter a while ago. I haven't read much paranormal romance, I'll add it to my TBR pile.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
job
In the end, it's just you and the manuscript

job is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfriske View Post
I actually have a really bad attention span when it comes to fiction. Most of the time I read history books. I'm something of an oddity, you see.
Not odd at all. I feel the same way. I was just reading a collection of Byron's letters.
So cool.
job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
job
In the end, it's just you and the manuscript

job is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjob is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reading a Joan Wolf book I somehow missed when it first came out. His Lordship's Desire. A returning soldier Regency. Excellent so far.
(And I really like the stepback.).
job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
Write_Askew

I just finished The Ugly Duchess. I was a little disappointed...but then, the MMc sub-plot was not to my taste. I did order Eleven Scandals etc so maybe I'll love that one.

Thanks for all the great book ideas. My Tessa Dare novels should be in very soon.

Neilfriske- if you like actual history books try The Life of Elizabeth I by Allison Weir. Its great, and gives a lot of information about Elizabethan culture too. She's my favorite Tudor historian.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #20
elindsen
A woman with a sword

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Almost in the middle of Zane's Total Eclipse of the Heart.
Library
Site

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Library
Blog

Death's Sword 1,162/5,000
Opposite Worlds 12,195/20,000

elindsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
K. Trian
J'decline l'honneur d'Ítre un angel

K. Trian is well-respected
I usually read several books at once, I just can't focus on one at a time. From the romance genre, I'm now reading Juliette Benzoni's Marianne and the Masked Prince although I'm reading it in Finnish (it's translated to 'the Stranger of Tuscany') though I'd love to read these books in French. I just haven't gotten around to look for the French editions 'cause I got the whole series in Finnish. In addition to Marianne, I'm reading Chris Ryan's Extreme: Hard Target, and Brent Weeks's Night Angel trilogy.

Our tactical center on the interwebz can be found and followed here: http://tktrian.wordpress.com/

Sci-fi -- fantasy -- horror
K. Trian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
Lil

Lil is a shiny, shiny jewelLil is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've been reading history rather than fiction, and an odd pair: the third volume of Simon Schama's A HISTORY OF ENGLAND, which is a sort of social history in which the rich and powerful are the bad guys (not for those who dearly love a lord), and Mark Girouard's RETURN TO CAMELOT, about the 19th century cult of chivalry in the upper classes.

Worlds within worlds.
Lil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
akaria

akaria is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGirl View Post
I just discovered Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. Making my way through the third book now: No Rest for the Wicked
Oh that series is supposed to be like crack. She's always a favorite on PNR lists. I'm at my limit for starting a long running series right now but plan on reading her soon.

I've just started Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh. *sigh* It's so good to be back in her world!

akaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
Sunwords

Sunwords is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Trian View Post
I usually read several books at once, I just can't focus on one at a time. From the romance genre, I'm now reading Juliette Benzoni's Marianne and the Masked Prince although I'm reading it in Finnish (it's translated to 'the Stranger of Tuscany') though I'd love to read these books in French. I just haven't gotten around to look for the French editions 'cause I got the whole series in Finnish. In addition to Marianne, I'm reading Chris Ryan's Extreme: Hard Target, and Brent Weeks's Night Angel trilogy.
Marianne is still available? I loved it - and bought the whole series when I was in France. Unfortunately, they were in box that was lost when I moved. Do you also know the "Catherine"-series by Benzoni?
Sunwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
Write_Askew

I just finished my first Tessa Dare novel. I now see what all the fuss is about. She's a brilliant writer who tells a great story but doesn't take herself too seriously. What a great read!