Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
Altitude finder

Is there such a thing as a hand held laser pointer that gauges altitude? i.e. if I pointed the laser from the ground to the top of a wall/tree/object in the sky, is there something that would tell me how high it is? do boi nam quan ao nam dep mu so sinh vay lien cong so vay lien cong so chup anh ky niem

Last edited by profen4; 05-14-2013 at 05:52 PM.
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
lbender
practical experience, FTW

lbender is a shiny, shiny jewellbender is a shiny, shiny jewel
Not my field, but I know laser range-finders and distance measurers exist. They would be straight line, so altitude can be figured if you know the angles. I have no idea what their distance limitations might be.
lbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Laser range finders can measure any distance, but each model will have its own limitations.

As lbender said, if you know the distance and the angle accurately you can tell the height. Keep in mind that as the distance gets greater the curvature of the Earth will come into play making the math much tougher.
Drachen Jager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admiration
http://www.rfs.org.uk/learning/measuring-trees

Yeah, you can use a number of devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypsometer
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteKnight View Post
But nothing that does it automatically? i.e. point at a building and it tells you the height in relation to sea level. I thought maybe there was some GPS laser gadget that might do it. do boi cao cap quan ao nam chan goi so sinh cho be vay cong so nu vay cong so nu chup anh da ngoai dep nhat

Last edited by profen4; 05-14-2013 at 05:52 PM.
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by profen4 View Post
But nothing that does it automatically? i.e. point at a building and it tells you the height in relation to sea level. I thought maybe there was some GPS laser gadget that might do it.
I don't know if such a device exists, but you'd need to know several things:

1. elevation of base of building, relative to sea level. Once that is established, it becomes a Pythagorean trigonometric problem.

2. horizontal distance from building. One leg of the right triangle you need to calculate

3. angle of sight, = angle of hypotenuse of right triangle.

From the latter two measurements, you can calculate the third leg of the triangle, which would equal the height of the building. Add that to the basal elevation above sea level, and you have your answer.

For best accuracy, you also need to take into account your own height, presuming this is some form of hand-held sighting instrument. And I'm also assuming your position is at a horizontal level with the base of the building, which might not be true.

But I was a Boy Scout once, and we did an exercise like this, in a cruder way, to figure out the height of trees. With a little ingenuity, you can actually get pretty good results, and fairly quickly, even without an electronic device.

caw
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
espresso5
practical experience, FTW

espresso5 is on a distinguished road
If it's a fiction you can make it up and have it sound plausible. Just say the device gets a distance using a laser, gets an angle reading from the device and makes a calculation using data plus elevation data from a GPS.
espresso5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
BDSEmpire
Kindly Bumpkin

BDSEmpire has a spectacular aura
Here you go:
http://www.fltgeosystems.com/disto/l...-d5-lca764553/
BDSEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
WriteKnight
Arranger Of Disorder

WriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admirationWriteKnight has earned our admiration
Most GPS devices will indicate altitude above sea level FOR THAT DEVICE. It's not a stretch to combine the above mentioned devices with the GPS that will render an gross altitude for the top of the building/object.
WriteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by profen4 View Post
I thought maybe there was some GPS laser gadget that might do it.
There are. We don't use them hand-held but on a monopod or tripod for accuracy. And they don't come cheap. But surveyors use these all the time.

Trimble is a major manufacturer of this type of equipment: http://www.trimble.com/

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
There are also ultrasonic range finders.

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote