Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Outwitting Writer's Block
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
So hard to focus my mind recently...

My current project is actually designing a set of oracle cards (like tarot cards but original names and meanings). But I think it's really the same activity as trying to brainstorm the story. I feel like I need to put more (relevant) raw material into my mind to stimulate ideas, but I ran out of raw material. Already hit the bookstore, the library, and the museum, not to mention my own bookshelf and card collection. What do you guys do when your subconscious demands to be fed truckloads of images and symbolism?
sunandshadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
SianaBlackwood
practical experience, FTW

SianaBlackwood has a spectacular aura
You could try looking in unconventional places. The old 'take a shower' technique - get away from the place where you create and do something that means you'd have to go to a special effort to go somewhere and write down the idea.

It's pretty good at killing any WIP I list here, but I'm working on trying to revive my blog.
SianaBlackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I skip it. (This is one of my sayings. "Skip it").

Symbolism and all that shit falls into my lap the more I write. I swear to God, my MC seems like a perfect "black knight" setup, with the world symbolism spelled across his face, but it's all coincidence though revisions.

I've always liked to study religions and cultures. Greek mythology is spectacular for metaphors and symbols (pretty much, all of it is a metaphor).

Added: Ask yourself: Why do you need the oracle cards? (I'm guessing character profiles) Could you just skip them, work on the project and create them as you go? Then, in a revision, go back and add them (where they are needed).

I find if you try to define yourself before a project (let's say, world building), it's far harder to stick to what you defined, rather than working into the direction the story takes you. It's like a snake shedding its skin. You create a new skin, and as time passes and progress turns, you find yourself far too cramped and have to shed it all over again.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
Added: Ask yourself: Why do you need the oracle cards? (I'm guessing character profiles) Could you just skip them, work on the project and create them as you go? Then, in a revision, go back and add them (where they are needed).
Hehe, no, the project IS the oracle cards and a book of interpretations to go with them. I'm trying to make a deck to get it published.
sunandshadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
Hehe, no, the project IS the oracle cards and a book of interpretations to go with them. I'm trying to make a deck to get it published.
Ahh...

Have you tried collective thinking? Define a set number of terms. Let's say: Water, fire, earth, air. Then, give a set under that, branching off from it. So: Water: Ice, liquid, mist. And then breakl down even further.

Something like that. Maybe you can use mythologies as a set, and raise inspiration from them.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
My current project is actually designing a set of oracle cards (like tarot cards but original names and meanings). But I think it's really the same activity as trying to brainstorm the story. I feel like I need to put more (relevant) raw material into my mind to stimulate ideas, but I ran out of raw material. Already hit the bookstore, the library, and the museum, not to mention my own bookshelf and card collection. What do you guys do when your subconscious demands to be fed truckloads of images and symbolism?

Let it simmer while turn your attention elsewhere. It needs time to digest.