Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
doomwdfortune
practical experience, FTW

doomwdfortune is on a distinguished road
having trouble with my story

what i wanted to do is have my story start 1 year after my detective catches a serial killer. this past case is meant to be part of her back story and something shes still recovering from. the problem is the main mystery is completely unrelated to her previous and I'm worried people will feel like the missed a previous book.
doomwdfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Start earlier.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
doomwdfortune

the idea i had for the main story thought was that she was working another serial case if i start earlier like 5 or 6 months after. would it be believable for their to be another serial killer
Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Depends on the environment. A city full of crime would have several serial killers active at the same time. You don't hear everything going on in a city from the news.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
doomwdfortune

not sure id say Boston is any more crime ridden then any other big city
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Dgullen
Ustom Ser Itle

Dgullen is on a distinguished road
Hi, my first thought is if the earlier case is unrelated to the story why refer to it explicitly? It sounds like it's the aftermath of the case that's the thing you're interested in rather than the particular case, so you could have her on sabatical/shore leave, putting her life back together and getting pulled back in with minimal explanation - the readers will fill in the details for you.
Maybe you just need to tunnel down a bit and find out what exactly it is your interested in about her current emotional/physical/life state as a precursor to this story.

I don't think tw serial killers close together is unworkable. IMHO, an 'Oh my God there's two of them' moment could work well at the start or the end of a story.
Dgullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgullen View Post
I don't think tw serial killers close together is unworkable. IMHO, an 'Oh my God there's two of them' moment could work well at the start or the end of a story.
I agree. I watched a documentary last night about two serial killers operating at the same time, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. One was caught several months after the other.

And how big a city is Baton Rouge?

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomwdfortune View Post
the idea i had for the main story thought was that she was working another serial case if i start earlier like 5 or 6 months after. would it be believable for their to be another serial killer
You don't get everything from the news. The F.B.I. estimate tat the U.S. alone has from thirty-five to fifty active serial killers at any given time. So, yes, it would be believable.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
I'd find it interesting - a detective still recovering from what she learned catching the first serial killer? She'd obviously think back now and then - small flashbacks, nothing too heavy or info-dumpy - would give readers insight to her methods, her mindset, and tantalize them with pieces of the first one she caught.

I'd go with it. I think it's a great idea.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
ironmikezero

ironmikezero is a glorious beacon of lightironmikezero is a glorious beacon of lightironmikezero is a glorious beacon of light
If it's only a year since your MC arrested the last serial killer, it wouldn't be unusual for that case to finally be coming to trial. Court scheduling is fraught with delays (pre-trial motions, court ordered psych evaluations, etc.). As the lead investigator/arresting officer, she has to testify at the trial; that gives you ample opportunity to weave some pertinent exposition into your tale.

GailD - Baton Rouge is considered a small-to-medium size city of about 80 sq miles (approx 800,00 pop in the metropolitan area).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baton_Rouge,_Louisiana

Last edited by ironmikezero; 11-24-2012 at 11:14 PM.
ironmikezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
doomwdfortune

that's something i never thought of thank you for the idea ironmikezero
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomwdfortune View Post
what i wanted to do is have my story start 1 year after my detective catches a serial killer. this past case is meant to be part of her back story and something shes still recovering from. the problem is the main mystery is completely unrelated to her previous and I'm worried people will feel like the missed a previous book.
If her current case is completely unrelated to the previous case, what is the significance of putting it in your story?

Quote:
Sure there would. But, it needs to be tied in with the current story.

I am not sure I'm completely following you, but I'll give it a try. I think there has to be some kind of a connection between the two serial killers, and the MC investigating serial killers is not enough. Maybe the most current serial killer is a copy cat, or even an apprentice, if you will, of the current serial killer.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
Watch season one of Luther (BBC, staring Idris Elba). He's a detective and the season opens (and deals with) with him still sorting through the repercussions of his last big case.
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
doomwdfortune

[QUOTE=Susan Littlefield;7765747]If her current case is completely unrelated to the previous case, what is the significance of putting it in your story?

it was mostly suppose to be her back story, to show who she is and how she got their. and maybe set up a future story
Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I see absolutely nothing wrong with your character's backstory not being related to their current case. Just go ahead and write it.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with your character's backstory not being related to their current case. Just go ahead and write it.
Yes, this.

You really don't know how it's going to go until you start getting it down (well, at least I never do!). You may find it works beautifully. You may find it mostly works, and needs some reworking after it's drafted. You may find you can't make it work at all, and you want to start over with something else.

The act of writing it is worthwhile, no matter where you start.

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 130,637
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 44,001/120,000
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote