Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #1
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
Who is the Main Character (Him or Her)?

I'm most familiar with Urban Fantasy romance novels (esp. Kresley Cole and Larissa Ione) where the POV alternates between Him and Her.

Two questions:
1. From the perspective of those who write these kinds of stories, who is considered the Main Character.
Both? The person with the most connections? Always Him? Always Her?

2. Queries tend to start: Main Character wants nothing more than to be something. If there are two MCs do you tend to choose one depending on the agent/agency or would the query look more like the blurb on the back of the book? "She needs X, He needs Y. Can they overcome their differences to Z?"
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolnessBeachgirl leaves trails of profuse coolness
My queries and blurbs look more like your second scenario. Although the female MC's POV tends to get more pages than my Male MCs do, there is a fairly decent balance.

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIPs by Scarlet Day:
Shifter Sanctuary 2: Reclaimed

WIPs by as-yet-to-be-determined name(s):
Flip Flops Optional (Contemporary Romantic Comedy)
Saltwater Insanity (Satirical Crime Fiction)
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
Usually her if there is one unified story, but there can be two related stories running in parallel, where each is the main character of one and a secondary character in the other.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Evangeline
Twirling in a glass of champagne

Evangeline is well-respected
1. Both are considered the main character, since the purpose of a romance novel--urban fantasy, historical, contemporary, etc--is to chart the growth of the H/H's relationship. Meaning, their story arcs exist to bring them together. However, for me, the basic "main character" definition is whomever has the most to lose (for example, a hardened assassin who falls for the woman he's supposed to kill--Anne Stuart's Cold As Ice).

2. Here are examples of winning queries:

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2006/08...y-thomass.html

http://ashlynmacnamara.net/first-que...ire-claremont/

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.co...acinerney.html

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.co...lla-andre.html

http://www.cynthiaeden.com/writers/t...-simple-steps/
Evangeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
Thank you. Those where great examples that really helped.
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Wilde_at_heart
υπείκωphobe

Wilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudgeWilde_at_heart is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I don't know if this is frowned upon by mods but I'm shamelessly bumping this so I can find it later.
For my own WIP the answer is obvious, but those links Evangeline has posted look very useful.

WIPs:
Destination Wedding, 84K - Querying
Untitled Urban Fantasy 96K + NA prequel, 99K
Ashmi vs the Demoness 78K - working on query letter
Fantasy set in a desert... outlined, on first draft
Wilde_at_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have been in search of good queries, thanks for bumping this!

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
gcsalamon
Gina

gcsalamon is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty much in agreement with the majority here - it really depends on you if the male or female place a little more as the lead. If you're doing a romance, and not writing in first person, then typically both characters play a major role and get about equal time.

When I write, I find that I may have started out with a certain character in mind to play more of a lead, but as the story unfolds, the other surpasses them. I think, you, as the writer, will know first who your ultimate main character is when all has been said and written.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
French Maiden
practical experience, FTW

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
JR Ward does this with her Black Dagger brotherhood series, but she also throws in other characters POVs as well.

It depends on the book Larissa Ione I think it's deffinatelly the male being the MC. As with Christine Feehan and JR Ward and come to think of it Sherrilyn Kenyon too. Hmm there is a trend with what I read.
These are all PNR/UF and all change POVs between the man and the woman. Come to think of it I dont think I've read a PNR/UF where I'd consider the woman to be the MC.
French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote