Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Public Speaking & Education
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
names
figuring it all out

names is on a distinguished road
Memoirs in schools?

I think all schools should have copies of memoirs and give them out as reading material. Thoughts from those who have read some memoirs?
names is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Schools usually have enough to hand out already. School libraries usually do have quite a few memoirs of historical figures, and really important contemporary figures, but they generally have enough trouble just handing out textbooks.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I read "Opus 100" (not exactly a biography, but parts of it was) from the high school library and really enjoyed it. I ended up reading all the dozen or so Asimov books there.

I've read many other memoirs, and I tend to agree many are good reading material, but I don't see them as that much more special than other books, either fiction or nonfiction.
benbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
Friendly Frog
practical experience, FTW

Friendly Frog is a glorious beacon of lightFriendly Frog is a glorious beacon of light
Memoirs, no, not really. But some of the usual biographies can be a good fit for a school. We read a biography of Marie Curie for French in high school, which I quite enjoyed and thought really interesting.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
names
figuring it all out

names is on a distinguished road
I think memoirs help with educating tough social situations, that some people have to get the hang on in school or not. If they want to succeed in life emotional intelligence as suggested as this intelligence that has been suggested to be the key concept people need to get learn if they want to succeed in school. Besides culture, and problems that involve psychology, I think they should be in demand. It might even be good to locate a publisher with a big circulation in an educational institution that works in a educational setting such and works with school publishers. I wish I could give it a try but I like some escapism. Though memoirs seem to have some magical realism in them when I see the meanings in the story's lines draw parallels with what the person's problems might be or their world they come from (if an immigrant society).
names is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
ConnieJ
practical experience, FTW

ConnieJ has a spectacular auraConnieJ has a spectacular aura
I'm a HS teacher librarian, and we must have at least 400 memoirs. I think my biography section is about 2,000 books. Students really enjoy reading them, and I have a couple English teachers who require students to read a biography/memoir.

Querying my 91,000-word suspense novel.

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." ~ Maya Angelou
ConnieJ is offline   Reply With Quote