Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
franniescan
Exploring the Last Frontier

franniescan is well-respected
One Paragraph Character Story Line

Hello,

I have been away from Absolute Write for a bit but am trying to revisit the site when I can as well as write when I can. I am currently working on a piece of work that I have picked up off and on over the years. I am trying to incorporate the snowflake method into my writing to see if that will help. At the moment, I am stumped with writing a one paragraph character story line. This may be a silly question, but where do I even start with this...I don't know where to begin or what to include...

Thanks so much!

Fran
Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It IS a tricky beast, because that one paragraph is where you distil your whole story down to its most basic. All you put in is the essential essence of what is this story about.

For practise, maybe try to do it for films/books you like.

Star Wars: Restless young boy comes of age and learns he has super powers of doom

Titanic: Sheltered girl learns about life and love aboard a doomed ship. Then it sinks. (pretty sure that isn't a spoiler!)

The Matrix: Neo discovers that Alice was right about the rabbit hole, and what he thought was life is a fake.

It doesn't have to include much of the plot, but should have your basic premise in there somewhere, as well as something about your hero/heroine and their arc.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don't overthink it at this stage. As you move along in the Snowflake method, there's a good chance you'll go back to that paragraph and tweak it a little so it's okay if it's a little sloppy.

The paragraph is, like Mr. Flibs said, a high level version of the character's arc in the story.

It's really more to get you thinking about the character and how they will change, grow and react throughout the journey through the plot. If you answered the other questions that go along with Step 3, you should have a good sense of who they are and what they will get, achieve, realize at the end. That's the paragraph, if you think about it. Stuff all those answers into one paragraph and see if looking at it that way helps you see the larger picture.

But like I said, don't fret about it too much. Write a little bit and move on. Go back and tweak at it as things come to you.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniescan View Post
...This may be a silly question, but where do I even start with this...I don't know where to begin or what to include...
Look at the back covers of published novels, or the blurbs on sales sites. Write like that. Then add the ending, since a proper synopsis or query should include the ending.

Better yet, diagram it, so that adding the crystals to the snowflake is easier and direct.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
franniescan
Exploring the Last Frontier

franniescan is well-respected
Thanks all, I'll work away at it .