Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Freelance Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
gettingby
practical experience, FTW

gettingby is a shiny, shiny jewelgettingby is a shiny, shiny jewel
pitching stories this time of year

I recently pitched a few stories, but I am worried a little with all the holidays coming up that I won't get the quick responses I am hoping for. Are you guys pitching right now? Having any luck? Just thought I would check in with my fellow writers to see how the season is treating you.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't even know what you mean by pitching stories? I may pitch a novel, but never a short story.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
gettingby

Oh shoot. I meant to post this in the freelance section. I don't know how to get it moved, but if a mod sees this, can you help me out?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You did post this in Freelance. However, since you reference "stories" it was moved to Short Fiction. Did you mean articles? Essays?
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Anna_Hedley
Fuelled by tea and crumpets.

Anna_Hedley is on a distinguished road
I think I see what you mean. You're subbing short stories at the moment but you're worried that because of Christmas and other seasonal holidays you'll have to wait longer than average to receive your acceptances or rejections. Is that right?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
names
figuring it all out

names is on a distinguished road
A lot of the places are closed for submissions towards november and december. It seems they stock a lot before decemeber.
names is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
I don't even know what you mean by pitching stories? I may pitch a novel, but never a short story.
Bah. I pitch stories with regularity. Straight into the wastebasket. Makes good starter material for the fireplace, which is pretty much their best possible use.

caw
Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Bah. I pitch stories with regularity. Straight into the wastebasket. Makes good starter material for the fireplace, which is pretty much their best possible use.

caw
Hate to admit it, but there are times when I think I'd be better off pitching a few myself. I suspect it's a good thing I don't have a fireplace. I might be tempted to pitch all sorts of things into it.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Back on topic, you may not receive timely responses when pitching now, but you'll still receive news faster than those who wait to pitch after the holidays.

It's always first come, first serve, no matter what time of year you submit/pitch/query.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
gettingby

I did mean pitching articles and for this to be in the freelance section.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudgejaksen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Well, no matter what you're pitching, just pitch year-round, unless it's for a market that specifically states, closed until ... date.

Then get it ready for that date. Otherwise, keep pitching regardless of time of year.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
FCameron

FCameron is on a distinguished road
It depends.

If you're pitching to a print glossy magazine, a year in advance is best timing. For example, if you're writing about a holiday (food, travel, etc.), pitch it a year before that holiday. So, gather your materials and research now for the Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years stories to be printed for 2013/14.
FCameron is offline   Reply With Quote