Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Coco82
practical experience, FTW

Coco82 is on a distinguished road
How big is your cast?

How big is your cast of characters, MCs and secondary characters?

A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
Coco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
GeekTells
Tick tock...

GeekTells is a glorious beacon of lightGeekTells is a glorious beacon of light
I'll bite:

1 MC, four supporting characters, another few minor characters, and all manner of people that the MC encounters. 1 main villain with a few supporting roles.

How about you, OP?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
randi.lee
More cowbell!

randi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewelrandi.lee is a shiny, shiny jewel
I have 3 MCs, one antagonist, two supporting characters and that's really it. Sure, I have the lady who pours coffee in the cafe, the wacky mailman and that uncle no one likes to talk about, but the story would be perfectly fine if everyone but those six were cut.

Please try not to take me too seriously. What I've posted above is most likely in jest.

Snap! A Quite Quick Collection now available on Amazon.
randi.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
fdesrochers

fdesrochers is on a distinguished road
First ms:

MC: 2
Supporting: More than half-a-dozen

Second ms:

MC: 2 + 1 planned addition
Supporting: 6+

Blog: http://signalsfromthearc.blogspot.com
fdesrochers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Several dozen, with any novel. The WIP right now has 3 main characters plus 16 - 20 supporting characters. The main characters get the most viewpoint time, but 4 or 5 other characters will have moments where the action is seen through their eyes.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My current book has about 20 named characters that appear in more than one chapter. But it is told from only one point of view.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
aheggli
figuring it all out

aheggli is on a distinguished road
1 MC, 1 antagonist, 6 supporting and a bunch of minor characters
aheggli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
amrose
is Envy Augustine

amrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolness
2 MCS, 5 supporting.

Like vampires? Like sex? Like the near future in an alternative history where humans have overthrown their bloodsucking overlords and use them for slave labor?

This novella might be for you.
amrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Dimanagul
Will Food for Write

Dimanagul has a spectacular aura
For the first book: A Primary and Secondary Protagonist, five supporting characters. 12-15 named minor characters.

http://dimanagul.com -- Musings and Weekly Short Stories. Get your read on.
Dimanagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Apologue
Pure heart, filthy mind

Apologue is on a distinguished road
2 MCs (dual viewpoint), 4-5 important secondary characters, and a smattering of other people that just have a few lines or are mostly in the background. My book is only about 80k, though, and I don't think it's ambitious enough to be classified as epic fantasy.
Apologue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
katci13
creative genie

katci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of lightkatci13 is a glorious beacon of light
2 MCs, 1 secondary, 1 villain, 2 supporting, and a bunch of random extras and creatures.

Works in Progress:

Dark Fantasy (YA) - NaNoWriMo-ing
katci13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
6 MCs (2 guest one here and there, 4 stables ones) All multiple limited, switching off.
20 Major characters (guessing)
10 Minor characters (Name and page presence, but don'e affect story).

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Last edited by WillSauger; 11-20-2012 at 10:22 PM.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCrastersBabies is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Epic fantasy... 140k words at least (no debating wordcount please... I have done my research).

6 rotating POVs
2 are "main"
4 are supporting
10ish semi supporting
10 plus named folks that characters meet or interact with... maybe more.

In truth... not a huge cast compared to most epic fantasy books
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Lhipenwhe
Moving with my soul, step by step

Lhipenwhe has a spectacular aura
One main character, two supporting characters/love interests, two supporting characters, and a main antagonist. I only have one viewpoint, that of the MC. I was wary of having too many characters to keep track of; I dislike leaving any of them superficially/badly developed.

-
The Nameless One, Planescape: Torment

Lhipenwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've got my protagonist, two very important support characters (who get a fair amount of pov time), a main antagonist and a few more "lesser characters" and baddies who show up several times throughout the book.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Coco82

Coco82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrastersBabies View Post
Epic fantasy... 140k words at least (no debating wordcount please... I have done my research).

6 rotating POVs
2 are "main"
4 are supporting
10ish semi supporting
10 plus named folks that characters meet or interact with... maybe more.

In truth... not a huge cast compared to most epic fantasy books
Mine is similar in scope. My WIP is a epic scifi/future history novel and have 5 main POVs possibly 1 smaller one, and each POV has supporting characters in it.

A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
Coco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
StarryEyes

StarryEyes is well-respected
One MC, 6 almost MCs (very important characters but their viewpoints are never given since it's all in first person), 2 antagonists, about 5 secondary characters and about 15 named but minor characters. And then there's the rest of the city, the soldiers and so on
StarryEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #18
Pthom

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #19
Melanie Dawn
Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.

Melanie Dawn has a spectacular auraMelanie Dawn has a spectacular aura
MC:2 with a third that becomes a MC for a time, then fades away.
hmm prolly half a dozen true supporting characters. I wanted to keep the cast small because I want to focus on development of the 2/3 MCs.

ps when I see MC I think Motorcycle club LMAO
SAMCRO-Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original.
Melanie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
zanzjan
99k and still going
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm attempting to stick to a single POV in the current novel. I had too many in my first novel, and it's one of the primary things that kept me from selling it.

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #21
xC0000005
An exception has occured.

xC0000005 is well-respected
1 MC with four supporting chars, one primary antagonist with two supporting characters.

Several lampshades with names.
Free Agent -Grimm Agency Book #1 coming 7/29/2014 from Penguin-Ace

Three Hearts coming 2015 from Penguine-Ace.

Looking for PoC beta readers for wip "Day Jobs."
xC0000005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #22
M.T.Logue
The T is for Trying to Stop Lurking

M.T.Logue has a spectacular aura
My current WIP has 4 MC's, all of whom also double as antagonists for each other.
Maybe 3 or 4 supporting characters.
Then quite a lot of minor characters.
M.T.Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #23
ClareGreen
Onwards, ever onwards

ClareGreen is a glorious beacon of lightClareGreen is a glorious beacon of light
WiP has 1 MC, 4 major characters and a whole slew of minor characters.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #24
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nine POVs (all major characters). I think I remembered them all. That includes protags and antags.

The cast list has roughly about 70 named characters. Seeing as there's two armies battling, there's thousands of characters yet to be named (should I have reason to pick them out, of course).

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #25
victoriakmartin

victoriakmartin is on a distinguished road
I've got four MCs in mine, off-hand I can think of 2 major supporting characters (I'm in the middle of revising between what I call draft 1.0 and 1.5, the latter of which involved one completely new MC while another supporting character was upgrading to MC). There are a handful of other characters as well, obviously, though most of them are not incredibly well-defined at this point in time. I don't see the main cast getting beyond 10 though, at least not if I can help it.