Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Celeste Carrara
practical experience, FTW

Celeste Carrara is well-respected
[Promotion] Bublish

Has anyone here heard of this site? Any reviews or thoughts on this? I'm trying to decide if I want to put my books on there to help attract new readers. Would love to know if anyone has used it yet & your opinions.
Thanks!
www.bublish.com
Celeste Carrara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I very much doubt that they have many readers.

And I am going to publicize my own sites, not someone else's platform.

Just my 2c. The site lacks both utility and appeal.

veinglory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Celeste Carrara

Thanks Veinglory!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
robertbevan

robertbevan has a spectacular aurarobertbevan has a spectacular aura
i put mine up on there. it's free, and i didn't figure it was going to hurt any. but yeah, it's kind of weird. i linked my 'bubble' on facebook, and my friends who clicked on it wrote back saying that they weren't able to see the bubble without logging in first. (so they didn't bother.)

still... free is free. any little bit of exposure i can get.

my facebook author page.
robertbevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
fadeaccompli
here and there again

fadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admiration
From the title of the thread, I was briefly worried that this was going to be some portmanteau of "blog" and "publish". I suppose that would be Blublish, though.

The site itself looks like an overly complex way to package covers and blurbs and spew them across a lot of other websites, rather than tailoring the presentation to the different audiences. I am dubious.
fadeaccompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A free way to get your fans to join their site, and possibly annoying them in the process. Sometimes even free things are too expensive.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
TheKoB
Smooth Operator

TheKoB is on a distinguished road
In general, if you yourself would not use the site or do not deem it interesting enough, do not publish there.
TheKoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Old Hack
Catching up with the news
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm going to move this to BR&BC as I think it's probably a better fit there than in Book Promotion And Advice.

ETA: Done!

I've taken a look at Bublish's first page and it's impenetrable. All it does is tell me that it's a book-promoting site: it doesn't actually promote any books to me! I think I'd have to sign up for an account with them to see anything there. I can't be bothered, and don't see why any readers would either.

Last edited by Old Hack; 11-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Bicyclefish
Pedaling Pescado

Bicyclefish has a spectacular auraBicyclefish has a spectacular aura
I can't view the site at work, so I Googled a little.

It was launched by Kathy Meis and Charles Wyke-Smith in June according to this article. The former also founded Serendipite Studios -- the url is no good but there's a cache -- and the latter appears to be a CSS guru. As for how they make money:

Quote:
The service will be free for readers and for authors up to a certain threshold. Bublish will offer a premium service for high-volume authors or publishers and also make money through ads and a percentage of book sales, Wyke-Smith explained.
It may have changed since then, but another site states, "Bublish gains money from commissions on the sale of books it does through affiliates like Amazon."

They posted a link to this discussion on their Facebook page.
Quote:
Bublishers, u helped us out before. This writer is trying 2 decide whether 2 put their books on Bublish. Can u comment?
Personally, I approach claims a site will "revolutionize the way writers share their stories and readers find books they’ll love" with skepticism. I also dislike sites that require I register as I've too many online accounts as it is.

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/
Bicyclefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
God's knickers, I hate textspeech. Just saying.

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclefish View Post
I also dislike sites that require I register as I've too many online accounts as it is.
Same here. I would have explored the Bublish site to learn more, but the registration requirement made it not worth the bother.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #12
aliceshortcake
Wilde about Oscar

aliceshortcake has earned our admirationaliceshortcake has earned our admirationaliceshortcake has earned our admirationaliceshortcake has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
God's knickers, I hate textspeech. Just saying.
Oh, so do I.

I'm rather taken with "God's knickers", though.
Oscar Wilde's reply to a warder in Reading Gaol who asked him if Marie Corelli could be considered a great writer: "Now don't think I've got anything against her moral character, but from the way she writes she ought to be here."
aliceshortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Celeste Carrara

Thank you Old Hack for moving this to the appropiate board! :-)

Thank you all for your insight. I did join up just so I can get a better look at the site and see what it offers. I didn't upload my book and don't think I ever will. Mostly for the reasons others have mentioned.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

Summary: This site looks like
98%: I want to make money
2%: a social network for readers, that's a shiny new idea! (newsflash, it isn't)

Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceshortcake View Post

I'm rather taken with "God's knickers", though.
Me, too
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote