Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > AW Bookclub
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
IkhlasHussain
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

IkhlasHussain is on a distinguished road
Book Recommendation

Hi everyone!

So I hope this is the correct place to post this...

My best friend is going away to med school in about a month and a half, and I want to get her an inspirational type book but have no idea what! I know how gruelling med school can be, and so I want to give her something uplifting, maybe funny, and inspirational.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction, so that's why I'm kind of stuck. She likes Malcolm Gladwell's stuff, but she's already got them all!

I know I can just check Amazon, but I'd appreciate any suggestions any of you have.

Thanks so much!

The Whimsical Whims of Ikhlas Hussain
Facebook
Twitter
IkhlasHussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Comic strip books. Calvin and Hobbes. Pearls Before Swine. Get Fuzzy. The Far Side. Bloom County (it would help if she remembers the 80s, though, since Bloom County could be topical at times)

During grad school I needed a light, mindless escape. It was as necessary as coffee and ramen noodles.

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Off to betas. PM me if you'd like to help a guy out.
WIP: WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 41,000 words.

Write on, Brother! (blog)
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
JHUK
practical experience, FTW

JHUK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkhlasHussain View Post
My best friend is going away to med school in about a month and a half, and I want to get her an inspirational type book ....
Not so sure it would fall into the "inspirational" category, but I think she might find "Cutting for Stone" (by Abraham Verghese) fascinating. It involves a lot of medical info for characters in a third-world country. One of them eventually comes to the US for medical school. It's one of the best books EVER in my opinion, but the members of my reading group agreed with me so I can recommend it without hesitation.

my blog: Writing Alchemy

JHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
Sunwords
practical experience, FTW

Sunwords is on a distinguished road
"The Medicus" by Noah Gordon. It deals with medcine in Europe, but also in Baghdad in times of Ibn Sina. It has two sequels, but the first part makes really fascinating reading - although maybe not for someone who hates histo.
Sunwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
pattycat
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

pattycat is on a distinguished road
I second the recommendation for Cutting for Stone. It's not inspirational non-fiction, but it is an amazing read that a medical student would really enjoy. One of my all-time faves.
pattycat is offline   Reply With Quote