Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
LJ Hall
For I am a Rain Dog too

LJ Hall has a spectacular aura
'Casting' your novel

I was reading the pantsing versus outlining thread and thinking about my own technique, and I realized that one thing I do whether I'm pantsing or outlining is that I cast my major roles.

There's a folder with all my word files, strictly pictures of actors and actresses that I've picked out to represent characters in my mind. Everyone from famous Oscar winners to people from stock photos or hair-style websites. (I tend to stay away from really evocative performers, like, say, Robert Downey Jr, who bring their own personalities with them.) It simply helps that person stay vivid in my head.

Do other people do this? Would you consider it a cheat? The thing I like most about it is that you can describe that specific person if you want, in immense physical detail, and your readers would still rarely actually picture the actor you're describing. Unless they cast books as they read them, which is probably a thing.
LJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Hydrogen
banned as an incurable tosspot

Hydrogen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Hall View Post
I was reading the pantsing versus outlining thread and thinking about my own technique, and I realized that one thing I do whether I'm pantsing or outlining is that I cast my major roles.

There's a folder with all my word files, strictly pictures of actors and actresses that I've picked out to represent characters in my mind. Everyone from famous Oscar winners to people from stock photos or hair-style websites. (I tend to stay away from really evocative performers, like, say, Robert Downey Jr, who bring their own personalities with them.) It simply helps that person stay vivid in my head.

Do other people do this? Would you consider it a cheat? The thing I like most about it is that you can describe that specific person if you want, in immense physical detail, and your readers would still rarely actually picture the actor you're describing. Unless they cast books as they read them, which is probably a thing.
It's not cheating. I don't do it for really no good reason other than I don't. If it helps you build better character then do it. Nothing wrong about it.
Hydrogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I do something similar for both looks and personality. Though, as words go by, the character make up a mind of their own and steer away from what I bookmarked them under.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
StillHere
What's another word for thesaurus?

StillHere is on a distinguished road
I do that! Thought I was the only one. :-) I also tend to pick "minor" stars without strong personalities. For me, it helps to have a face in mind, especially in the beginning. My current heroine looks like the actress who played the lead on the TV show "In Plain Sight." :-)
StillHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
It's not cheating at all, but I don't do it myself. The people I picture when I'm writing don't look much like actors, they tend to look more like people I know.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
rwm4768
practical experience, FTW

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
I've never done that. Maybe I'll have to give it a try. If it works for you, go for it.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 160K Revising
The Man in the Crystal Prison (Upper MG Fantasy): 4,000/75,000
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 105K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
WinterDusk14
Wandering, Confused Writer

WinterDusk14 is well-respected
I do that, but not all of my characters. Just the mob leaders, being Jack Nicholson, Robert de Niro, Denzel Washington, and of course, Al Pacino.

Joe Pesci, Harvey Keitel, and Frank Vincent are very soon to be in too.
No Glory For Good Men - Pre-Writing Phase
My Twitter
My Blog
Badass Critique Group
WinterDusk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
cmtruesd

cmtruesd is on a distinguished road
I have to admit, I do it for some of my characters' looks, but not personalities. For my current MS, however, I've nearly torn my hair out trying to find a picture of someone to 'cast' for her. I think I just made up this picture in my head, and no one can compare to it. I have found several different people who could combine to make her, though.

Current WIP: YA fantasy-- 25,100 out of 95,000 words completed (first draft)

The Armorium Key: YA fantasy 96k-- Taking a breather

You can never get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." -- C.S. Lewis
cmtruesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtruesd View Post
For my current MS, however, I've nearly torn my hair out trying to find a picture of someone to 'cast' for her. I think I just made up this picture in my head, and no one can compare to it.
Ditto. I have most of the other characters 'cast' in my head (in fact the hero was based on a particular actor/film role from the get go) but for the female MC, no one seems to fit. Or for the antag, now I think of it. These are probably the characters I've found it the most difficult to 'get into', so maybe the two things are related...?

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wouldn't consider it a cheat. Occasionally, I have tried to do this. But for the most part, it doesn't work for me--my characters' appearances aren't the most important thing about them.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I do it, too. I don't stop with actors, though. I also use comics, video games, animation as a source.

No, my characters appearances aren't the most important thing about them to me, either, but I still like to have some kind of concrete visual in my head as I write them.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, that makes sense. Sometimes tho I get asked, "Which actor would play your protag?" and I have literally no idea. Although De Caprio might have done when he was younger.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
Well, that makes sense. Sometimes tho I get asked, "Which actor would play your protag?" and I have literally no idea. Although De Caprio might have done when he was younger.
Yeah. While I like to have a visual, I try not to stay married to my own choices because I've seen movies made where the actor chosen for the character didn't fit the image in my head, but then they opened their mouth and acted and totally changed my mind.

So...not married, definitely.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
eparadysz

eparadysz has a spectacular auraeparadysz has a spectacular aura
Usually not, but I had one character who I identified so strongly with Harry Dean Stanton (circa mid-80s) that I had to name him Harry. I couldn't think of him any other way.

It's always darkest before the bottom drops out.

eparadysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't do it. I guess I tune in more to the personality than the 'person.' My characters are rarely described in detail, I kind of fluff that off, let the reader fill in the blanks. . .

Off on a tangent, casting Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher? Yikes.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I picked up on this habit from my old PBEM RPG days, where we chose actors/models for the characters we created. I still do this when I'm beginning a new project, and I could tell you exactly who my original models were for most of my books. Over time the character evolves and becomes who they are, and the image of the model tends to fade. But it's a fun exercise at the start of something.

Sometimes thinking about actors/models can spark an idea, too. I once wrote a screenplay based on a conversation with my dad, wherein he asked if two particular (popular at the time) actors had ever made a movie together. We decided it would be a buddy western, and off I went.

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
ChaosTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
writingismypassion
~Charity~

writingismypassion is on a distinguished road
I don't think it's cheating. I don't do it, but I have a writing buddy who does. She's working on a trilogy and has actors decided for almost every character. Whatever works.

THIS IS LIFE (My Blog)
Sharing God's Truth (A Devotional Blog)

And I Tweet.
writingismypassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
CrastersBabies
all hail zombie babies!

CrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCrastersBabies is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I absolutely use images of people I find online, some famous actors, some models, but it's for looks alone (not personality). I did this before I started writing so I could hone in on aspects of the features that I needed to describe.

I love my casting "sheet," but in no way will I ever (ever) share it with the world. It's for me and me alone. And, some of the images have changed over time when I see someone who better fits the physical description.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #19
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
I do it. Its more of a general image to begin with but normally it changes along the way. I don't do it for personality and such as I tend to let that develop all by itself.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I do it as an excuse to look up half nekkid pictures of Matt Bomer.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #21
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
I do to some extent. Mostly it gives me a starting point, and it's easier for me to 'see' the expressions I want to portray if I have an actual face.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I personally can't do it, I need the character to grow organically from nothing rather than from a template.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #23
victoriakmartin

victoriakmartin is on a distinguished road
Ooo, I have never heard of doing this but I really like the idea. I am not a very visual reader, so anything that would help me visualize my own characters more could definitely help.

Plus I feel like it would be fun to try and find someone who looks right! Or close enough to being right.

http://www.victoriakmartin.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Victoria-K-Martin/100339113495839

(formerly known as i_paint_the_sky)
victoriakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #24
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolnessWeaselFire leaves trails of profuse coolness
I've done biographies/profiles of some characters, but I don't do really detailed descriptions. I tend to prefer the reader relate to the character and see them in their own mind. I have used lines like:

"She looked exactly like Jennifer Jason Leigh. The Fast Times one, not the Dolores Claiborne one."

But that's not normally for my major characters, just the window dressing.

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #25
Pearl

Pearl is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Hall View Post

I thought I was the only one who did this! I prefer using real life people to be the "models" for my characters, in terms of appearance. Like you said, it allows for immense physical detail. I also find it hard to come up with a face all by itself without leaning towards someone famous anyway.
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote