Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
IkhlasHussain
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

IkhlasHussain is on a distinguished road
Beta Needed for Modern Day Pride and Prejudice/Emma

Hi,

I'm looking for a beta reader for my 113,000 word novel, titled Aisha. Aisha is a modern-day retelling of Pride and Prejudice/Emma, but instead focuses on a 22 year old Muslim girl, growing up in Canada, who works at a Marriage Bureau and works to arrange people's marriages.

Here's a brief synopsis:
Orphaned at a young age, twenty-two year old Aisha Ali lives with her uncle, aunt and their family of four daughters, in the tiny town of Windsor Bay, Alberta, where she works at an Islamic marriage bureau, trying to match families up according to a long list of demands they make.

Aisha doesn't believe in love, only in arranged marriages, and that's what she does all day long: arranging marriages. But her world is shaken up when a Muslim convert, Adam Swift, comes to town, as he challenges everything and shatters all her assumptions about love, marriage, and what it means to be Muslim in Canada, making her question all she has known up to this point.

I'm looking for general feedback about the story and plot structure, as well as general writing tips. I don't need line editing, but more of a wider look at the story and its themes.

Thanks.

Last edited by IkhlasHussain; 11-16-2012 at 06:37 AM.
IkhlasHussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
ZoeYork
practical experience, FTW

ZoeYork is on a distinguished road
Hi! I'm in London, Ontario, and might be interested - I've never been a beta reader before, so I'm not sure what level of detail I'll be able to comment on, but I'm happy to give it a try. I'm familiar with Alberta as well, I have family there.

A bit about me: I'm currently working on my first novel, a contemporary romance. My degree (completed many moons ago) was in literature and women's studies; my current bookshelf is almost completely romances, with the occasional mystery or Canadian literary fiction thrown in for fun.

At some point in the new year I will be looking for people to critique my WIP; trading isn't necessary if you aren't interested in the genre, but something to which I'm certainly open.

1st Novel (The Year of Kate): On hold at 18,000/65,000 words while I work on ...
Untitled Christmas Novella: 12,000/25,000 words
ZoeYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
pattycat

pattycat is on a distinguished road
I am not currently available for quick-response beta reading, so perhaps it's not appropriate for me to post here. I just wanted to say how intrigued I was by your synopsis. You've definitely hooked me.

I will be available in a month, so if at that point you are looking for another reader, I would be happy to give a crack at it. I have critiqued before and minored in creative writing, but other than that I have no credentials. My critiques tend to focus on writing style and execution, as well as characterization and pacing. I would warn that I can be boldly honest, so I would not be good for the thin-skinned.

If you aren't in a rush, feel free to send me a copy now. Turn around time would be around 4 weeks. PM me if that's something you are interested in.
pattycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
IkhlasHussain

IkhlasHussain is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone who replied or pm-ed me. I no longer need a beta reader.

The Whimsical Whims of Ikhlas Hussain
Facebook
Twitter
IkhlasHussain is offline   Reply With Quote