Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Bob1965
Sockpuppet

Bob1965 is on a distinguished road
Blovels Anyone?

A blovel is a novel written on the fly in short daily posts on a blog. Each post is 500 words max, and each post ends with suspense so the reader will want to read the next post. A typical blovel ends up being around 60-100,000 words in length and is usually finished in less than a year. The story becomes addictive to the readers and thus it builds an audience for the author.

I write blovels, and as far as I know, I’m the only one doing so according to the description given above. I believe blovels are a new art form for fiction. I believe they are the future of fiction, and I would appreciate anyone who could tell me where I might find others doing blovels. Or, if you’re thinking of starting one, I would sincerely enjoy dialoging with you.

http://gordons-ghosts.com
Bob1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Alitriona
Attends The School of AW

Alitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds similar to a trend in fanfiction about a year ago.

Folk called them drabble fics but obiviously they were a lot longer than 100 words. It was roughly 100 words per update but some were longer. Readers went crazy for them for a while because they were quick to read and constantly updated. Like all trends, it faded.

Interesting idea for a blog. Good luck with it.

Alitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Could you come up with a less horrible name? "Blovel" sounds like onomaopoeia for vomiting.

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1965 View Post
A blovel is a novel written on the fly in short daily posts on a blog. Each post is 500 words max, and each post ends with suspense so the reader will want to read the next post. A typical blovel ends up being around 60-100,000 words in length and is usually finished in less than a year. The story becomes addictive to the readers and thus it builds an audience for the author.
I get the concept - the problem is, it only really works if you are reading one post a week, or a day. If you read more than that, the constant resolution-action-cliffhanger sequence becomes very irritating.

Quote:
I write blovels, and as far as I know, I’m the only one doing so according to the description given above.
You're not. Trust me. I've seen many of them over the years - in blogs, fan-fic, magazines, I've even seen writers write their book on twitter 140 characters at a time. I've seen a couple of folks do the same thing on facebook, and a couple of years ago there were a couple of big novels that were written and posted from text messages.

It's been done.

Not only that, but it's been done for decades. Think back to the pulp magazines of the 50's - they were short serialisation that did the same thing - a couple of hundred, maybe thousand words, ending on a dramatic cliffhanger - 'read on next week to see how Captain Armavagus escapes from the floating snake pit of Death' sort of thing.

Quote:
I believe blovels are a new art form for fiction.
They're not. This sort of serialisation in small parts has been the norm for most of the last 150 years at least, maybe longer.

Quote:
I believe they are the future of fiction, and I would appreciate anyone who could tell me where I might find others doing blovels. Or, if you’re thinking of starting one, I would sincerely enjoy dialoging with you.
A quick google search, or half an hour spent on FF.net will show you a lot of people doing the same thing. in fact, FF.net is a perfect example - it's very common for folks to post a chapter at a time, with days, weeks or even months in between. The only difference is that FF.net host the story, rather than your own blog.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com
shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Samsonet
Star light, star bright...

Samsonet has a spectacular auraSamsonet has a spectacular aura
I think it's interesting. Except for the constant cliffhanger part, but that's my problem.

Blovels probably won't become that big, for the reasons outlined above, but they could be rather popular if one managed to get publishing contract. I have a question, though. About original fiction that you put on the web, how likely is it that a publisher will take it? Doesn't putting it on a public blog count as self-publishing?
Samsonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Have fun with it but it's not new or the future of fiction.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
colealpaugh
"Bear trumps Elephants!"

colealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to beholdcolealpaugh is a splendid one to behold
If the future of fiction is a mostly unedited first draft, then I'm totally in.

Website

The Spy's Little Zonbi
Coffeetown Press/2013

The Turtle-Girl from East Pukapuka
Coffeetown Press/2012

The Bear in a Muddy Tutu
Camel Press/2011

colealpaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bob!

Ugh, Blovel is a strange word. As other said, this concept is not new.

Why not just write your novel and submit to agents and or publishers? You post it on your blog and its considered published.

I must say, however, that you blog looks supernaturally fun!

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A suspenseful ending every 500 words doesn't sound, to me, like the makings of a good novel?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Bloo
Roofied by Rylan

Bloo has a spectacular auraBloo has a spectacular aura
I thought a Blovel was some kind of zombie killing weapon with a shovel and an ax attached to it

Webpage
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr
Author Profile
Amazon Page
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Shadow_Ferret
Snow? Already?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wasn't Blovel one of James Bonds' villains?

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
LJD
practical experience, FTW

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
So...serial fiction (certainly not a new idea) in very small chunks?

I listened to a podcast on serialization in romance (DBSA podcast, #32) recently...You might check it out.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
Buffysquirrel
practical experience, FTW

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Reminds me of an email correspondence I had with a friend some years ago, where we were each writing part of a novel in turn. It descended into each of us getting the protag into as difficult a situation as possible and leaving the other author to get them out. Hilarious, but not publishable. Probably not even of interest to anyone but the players.
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
Most people call it "serial fiction" It's not particular new or exclusive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_(literature)
http://webfictionguide.com/
http://serialteller.com/
http://suite101.com/article/writing-...iction-a218748
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Me, I'd vote for "novog." Yes, it's somewhat Lovecraftian, but better than than making your readers think about explosive vomiting.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Bob1965
Sockpuppet

Bob1965 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alitriona View Post
Sounds similar to a trend in fanfiction about a year ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alitriona View Post
Folk called them drabble fics but obiviously they were a lot longer than 100 words. It was roughly 100 words per update but some were longer. Readers went crazy for them for a while because they were quick to read and constantly updated. Like all trends, it faded.
Interesting idea for a blog. Good luck with it.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
Could you come up with a less horrible name? "Blovel" sounds like onomaopoeia for vomiting.

I didn’t invent the word, actually. I just thought that’s what they were called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
I get the concept - the problem is, it only really works if you are reading one post a week, or a day. If you read more than that, the constant resolution-action-cliffhanger sequence becomes very irritating.

In my opinion, each post doesn’t have to end as a cliffhanger, per se, only with a suspenseful element. That could be a question, perhaps, or an ongoing sequence of events. “…with that being done, they walked into the room…” Something like that.

Quote:
You're not. Trust me. I've seen many of them over the years - in blogs, fan-fic, magazines, I've even seen writers write their book on twitter 140 characters at a time. I've seen a couple of folks do the same thing on facebook, and a couple of years ago there were a couple of big novels that were written and posted from text messages.
Quote:
It's been done.
I sure would like to find others who are doing the same thing. If you have any leads. Please let me know.

Quote:
Not only that, but it's been done for decades. Think back to the pulp magazines of the 50's - they were short serialisation that did the same thing - a couple of hundred, maybe thousand words, ending on a dramatic cliffhanger - 'read on next week to see how Captain Armavagus escapes from the floating snake pit of Death' sort of thing.

I know there’s been serialization since the Victorian age, but I’m specifically referring to blovels as I described in the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonet View Post
I think it's interesting. Except for the constant cliffhanger part, but that's my problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonet View Post

Blovels probably won't become that big, for the reasons outlined above, but they could be rather popular if one managed to get publishing contract. I have a question, though. About original fiction that you put on the web, how likely is it that a publisher will take it? Doesn't putting it on a public blog count as self-publishing?
I always thought it kind of went along with self-publishing. Once a blovel is finished, it is taken down from the blog and the author can then make a paperback novel of it, put it up for sale, and start a new blovel. I suppose one could get a deal with a publisher to handle the “blooks” if they had a good audience for their blovels. Or even prove that they can write a good story, that people read their work, and end up with a contract for other original novels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
Bob!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
Ugh, Blovel is a strange word. As other said, this concept is not new.
Why not just write your novel and submit to agents and or publishers? You post it on your blog and its considered published.
I must say, however, that you blog looks supernaturally fun!
Thanks, Susan. I like to write in blogs. I can do a post a day and I don’t feel overwhelmed by the grind of writing a novel for a year with no reader participation. I have a short attention span; I think a lot of readers do to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
So...serial fiction (certainly not a new idea) in very small chunks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD View Post
I listened to a podcast on serialization in romance (DBSA podcast, #32) recently...You might check it out.
Thanks, LJD.
Bob1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
Me, I'd vote for "novog." Yes, it's somewhat Lovecraftian, but better than than making your readers think about explosive vomiting.

- Victoria
I'm sure most wouldn't have this problem, but as a diabetic, that looks like a misspelling of "Novalog". But, yeah, better, I think, than "blovel".
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1965 View Post
A blovel is
... a horrible word.

Quote:
I write blovels, and as far as I know, I’m the only one doing so
No you're not. I've seen loads of them. Very few are good.

Quote:
if you’re thinking of starting one, I would sincerely enjoy dialoging with you.
Do you mean "talking with you"? If so, why not just write that? Or do you mean "writing dialogue with you"? Again, if so, why not just write that? It would be clearer, and more elegant, and would avoid another "eugh" moment from your readers.

###

I wonder if this thread would fit better in our Self Promotion room than in here.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #19
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It really is just plain old serial fiction, and being on a blog doesn't change this. It also sounds like it's pretty much all first draft, which doesn't have to be bad, but is a problem with many writers.

Few readers have short attention spans, and attention spans are not getting shorter. The great majority of readers still prefer long books, and even children are reading very long novels. Didn't Harry Potter teach anyone anything about length and attention spans.

I like a lot of the serial fiction I've read, but I always wait and read it until after the last installment is finished. I usually do the same thing with trilogies and the like. I didn't read any of King's Dark Tower books until the last one was out.

I think you'll find an audience for anything, if you write well enough, but not because it's short segments on a blog, and certainly not because attention spans are getting shorter. If readers want it, they'll want it because it's as good, or better, than whatever else that have to do or read with their time.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post

- Victoria
I think the cardiologist sent me home with prescriptions for novog and blovel yesterday.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:53 PM   #21
MJNL
A Little Lost

MJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds fun! But I clicked on the thread thinking it was about novels that were blah.

Recent Publications:

A Debt Repaid, Lightspeed Magazine, WDSF
Dateline: Sesen, Star Citizen Spectrum Dispatch

Blog *Twitter* Art * AV
MJNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #22
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I had too much novog at the Christmas party last year. I bloveled all the way home.

Although, I'm thinking more along the lines of alien sex...

His blovel twitched, gained volume, and reached toward her. She spun her tentacles and her high-pitched squeal stung my ears. In a quick bound, she lept at him, encapsulating the blovel with her novog. Her scream ramped in tone and volume, and the windows shattered, showering me with shards...
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

Last edited by NeuroFizz; 11-15-2012 at 12:05 AM.
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #23
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
I agree with all of James' post.
I want to read polished stories. My attention span is only shortened by poor editing and its similars. Also, I usually only want to start a serial if I know it has an end. What could be worse than getting caught up in a story only to find it just drops off because THE AUTHOR LOST INTEREST (it happens all the time with serial fiction online)?
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #24
amrose
is Envy Augustine

amrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolness
Any takers on "blook?"

Like vampires? Like sex? Like the near future in an alternative history where humans have overthrown their bloodsucking overlords and use them for slave labor?

This novella might be for you.
amrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #25
Samsonet
Star light, star bright...

Samsonet has a spectacular auraSamsonet has a spectacular aura
... I'm in. I can do it. Expect a link sometime this weekend.

P.S "Blook" does sound better than "blovel", in my opinion.
Samsonet is offline   Reply With Quote