Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
LadyV
Trick or Treat!

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Possible HDD rogue virus

So, I think I may have contracted an HDD rogue virus on my laptop. All of a sudden, all these windows, stating something about "write errors," popped up on my computer. Another appeared, saying something about a hard drive failure. Then it told me to reconfigure. I didn't, suspecting it was bogus. So instead, I did a system restore. I did this once before on my desktop when I contracted the S.M.A.R.T. virus and everything went back to normal. However, when I performed it on my laptop, all my documents disappeared. Also, I can't change my desktop background, nor can I get my antivirus program to open. I then tried restoring to an even earlier date but to no avail.

I'm worried that I did some serious damage to my laptop. Is there an easy way to fix this? Do I need to take it to a repair place, or did I destroy everything?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Current WIP: Violet Dagger - Contemporary Fantasy (outlining)
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry to say this, but it's entirely possible your data just got corrupted and your hard drive is failing. Might have nothing to do with a virus. Do you have any kind of recovery discs or recovery partition that can check your the integrity of your drive?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
LadyV
Trick or Treat!

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
Sorry to say this, but it's entirely possible your data just got corrupted and your hard drive is failing. Might have nothing to do with a virus. Do you have any kind of recovery discs or recovery partition that can check your the integrity of your drive?
I'm not sure on either account. What you say could be possible, seeing as it's only certain things that are malfunctioning. Others are fully functional. I may just have to cave and take it somewhere. With the antivirus software not working, or at least it seems that way, my laptop is vulnerable.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got something akin to this once. All my files were still there, but suddenly hidden. There's an option in Control Panel-->Files to show all files, even invisible ones. That happened to all my programs too--suddenly were hidden. I had to manually go in to each file's Properties and unclick the "Hidden" and "Read Only" boxes to make them accessible again.

It was annoying, but an easy fix.

No, I never figured out what caused this to happen, but the restore seemed to take care of it. Once I did the manual work to unhide everything, it was all good.

Hope that helps.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
LadyV
Trick or Treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleyanLee View Post
I got something akin to this once. All my files were still there, but suddenly hidden. There's an option in Control Panel-->Files to show all files, even invisible ones. That happened to all my programs too--suddenly were hidden. I had to manually go in to each file's Properties and unclick the "Hidden" and "Read Only" boxes to make them accessible again.

It was annoying, but an easy fix.

No, I never figured out what caused this to happen, but the restore seemed to take care of it. Once I did the manual work to unhide everything, it was all good.

Hope that helps.
I did what you said, and what do you know, all my files were still there just hidden. Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Charles Farley
Bango Skank

Charles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCharles Farley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry but i have to agree with kuwisdelu . .

A write error means that data isn't getting written to the hard drive which isn't uncommon . . .but with the HD failure message coming up also it's time to check the hard drive before it does fail . . . . a good thorough back up of your files to removable media . . a usb key or CD now wouldn't be a bad idea either . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWest View Post
*becomes hopelessly enmeshed in the narcissism*
Charles Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Brian12
Computer Security Enthusiast

Brian12 is on a distinguished road
Hi Vanessa,

There's also a free program called Unhide that removes the hidden attribute on all files/icons.

Here is the link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/unhide/

I frequently use it after removing malware infections.

Brian (Author of the Malware Removal Guide for Windows)

Last edited by Brian12; 11-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Brian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
aibrean
Author, Designer, Imaginative Being

aibrean is on a distinguished road
Newer versions of Windows can detect hard drive failures earlier. I had the same error message popup on a hard drive that was an RMA from a previous failed drive. I had to send it out and get another one.

I would do a write test. My brother uses SeaTools to check disk integrity. If it fails you know your hard drive is headed to the place of no return (unless it's still in warranty and then you can contact the manufacturer for an RMA...usually 2-3 years depending on the drive).

http://www.seagate.com/support/inter...ls-win-master/ (SeaTools Download)

WIP - Infiltrate (Holo Book 2) [YA Sci-fi]
Lady From Day won an ADDY for book design!

My website
aibrean is offline   Reply With Quote