Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Newest dumbocity (dumb + atrocity = dumbocity) from our school

In advance of the kids reading S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, a teacher posed some questions to the kids to have them thematically on the same plane as the book.

One of the questions was whether the kids thought violence was ever an acceptable way to resolve a conflict.

One kid, a good friend of my daughter's, answered that yes, he thought that sometimes violence is what gets a result. The teacher asked him to stay after class.

(Prepare to facepalm.)

After class the teacher just wanted to say to him that she "found your answer just so interesting because Ghandi was a pacifist and he was from India and you're also from India..."

Good lord.

Last edited by Perks; 11-14-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Perks, after hearing of all your troubles with this school....have you ever thought about home schooling? (and I hope the kid put her straight!)

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've only toyed with the thought. I've got no inclination, personally, to teach.

We do a lot of supplemental stuff, but maybe the education of how pathetic the world can be at times is valuable?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

And the kid didn't say anything. He was too shocked at the whole thing. I'm sure he'll think up a hundred comebacks tonight.

Unreal.

Last edited by Perks; 11-14-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #5
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
maybe the education of how pathetic the world can be at times is valuable?
Could be, could be (and I hear you - I don't have the patience to teach mine.) I suppose as long as you discuss these things wit her, she's learning what not to do, at least....

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

I'm going to go with that.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, goodness. There are over a BILLION people in India--and she's surprised to discover there's a wee bit of diversity among them?

Not to mention the kid is being educated in another nation entirely and has potentially been influenced by that.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
LJD
practical experience, FTW

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
ummmm...wow.

You know, I remember reading that book in grade 7 and discussing that exact question in class
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Was she sure? I mean all those brown people look alike.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Seriously, does this school have any other requirements for it's teaching staff than the ability to count both of your brain cells?

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

I can't tell, Jimmy. It's amazing how much has been really eyebrow-bending in this school. It's a safe place and, I have to say, well-organized, but sometimes just holy crap.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To further illustrate his answer the kid should have punched her in the face.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Wicked
Outcast Rogue

Wicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWicked is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm hoping she wasn't a Social Studies teacher.

Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
MaggieAmada
figuring it all out

MaggieAmada is on a distinguished road
Wow. There is a pervasive culture in our schools that violence is never okay and we should all be pacifists. Furthermore, there is an assumption that all cultures are teaching the same (which they are not). I hope not all children buy into it and I'm glad yours didn't. The world is diverse and we need to prepare our children to live in it.

Last edited by MaggieAmada; 11-15-2012 at 11:53 PM.
MaggieAmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
regdog
Barricade
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, just wow.

My Blog-Updated on 8/22/14 Same Place Different Time

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
TudorRose
not napping... brainstorming!

TudorRose is a shiny, shiny jewelTudorRose is a shiny, shiny jewel
*wanders into thread eager to hear about this city full of airborne baby pachyderms. Is vaguely disappointed, but facepalms in sympathy with Perks anyway*
TudorRose is offline   Reply With Quote