Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
RobertEvert
practical experience, FTW

RobertEvert has a spectacular aura
Names in fantasy books....

I really enjoy reading fantasies. However, what really spoils many of them for me is the names the author uses. It seems that most of them are unpronounceable or overly complex, like "Glortheablat" or "Kim-au-duae." What about "Tim"???? Who wouldn't fear a sorcerer named Tim?

Anybody else run into this?

How do you all find good names for your characters?
RobertEvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A good portion of my names start out with finding a word that can sum up a character, either very tightly or loosely.
Then I play with the spelling a bit, working with how the name sounds and how it comes off in a person's mind.

My MC's name is Vixous, from Vicious, which he is.
My other MC is names Strycrome, from Scrychnine.

Other characters, I just find a name that suits them. I play around with them, roll the name around my tongue until I find them appropriate.

I wanted a weak character, that was to be pitied, but not pitiful. So I chose Enlous.

I try to avoid hard to say, or even understand names. I think my hardest name is Gracioletio Falcet Verronies, which is more like a joke than anything. He just goes by Gracio.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, if they want a non-Earth feel, as in a secondary world fantasy, then Tim probably isn't going to work.

That's no excuse to call someone Glortheablat, though. XD
Making Magic Systems
Speculative Fiction Sub-Genre of the Week

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
Is that all I am to you people?! Just the girl with the whip?!
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Pthom

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I rather like the idea of a powerful sorcerer named "Tim." Way better than either of the Harrys (Dresden and Potter).
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Smiling Ted
Ah-HA!

Smiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputationSmiling Ted has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen View Post
Who wouldn't fear a sorcerer named Tim?
"Tim" is scary as hell, true - particularly with a brogue.

One good way to create names is to look at primary texts for a real-world society similar to the one you've created. For instance, my series is an historical fantasy set in Western Europe in the High Middle Ages, so one of the name sources I can use is the Domesday Book. It has place names and proper names that "fit" my story, but are unusual enough to be memorable: Brissac, Lugwardine, Durand of Gloucester, Widard, etc.

Read This Blog!: http://theswordthatnagged.blogspot.com/
Smiling Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
victoriakmartin

victoriakmartin is on a distinguished road
I'm afraid someone already beat you to using the name Tim for a wizard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_the_Enchanter

http://www.victoriakmartin.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Victoria-K-Martin/100339113495839

(formerly known as i_paint_the_sky)
victoriakmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Dreity

Dreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of lightDreity is a glorious beacon of light
I don't actually mind long, hard to pronounce names as a reader, though as a writer I'm keeping it simple. When wearing both hats, consistency is what I find most important. If your character's name is Nadheera but her brother's name is Joe, there better be a reason for it. Multicultural family, one of them changed their name, Mom was going through A Thing - just, something.

My Blog. Longer stuff, but still trying to cut down.
Dreity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Ian Isaro

Ian Isaro is on a distinguished road
Excessive hyphens and apostrophes are a problem in fantasy, of course, but I think some of it is just authors' desire to create some distance from our world. "Tim" is a name with etymology and history, so it feels a little odd if your story isn't supposed to be on Earth.

Names in real life can seem strange if they come from languages you don't know. I have trouble with Scandinavian names like "Bjarke" or "Fridtjof" but they're normal for many people. "Cattle" in Swahili is "ng'ombe" which hits at least two of the fantasy cliches.

So in brief: linguistic diversity to get away from medieval-esque Europe is good, random syllables to try to create the same feel don't work so well.

Cubicle Quest - the game about escaping work to follow your dreams
Ian Isaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is a common complaint among Fantasy readers. I believe some people cope by assigning the character a similar name that they can pronounce.

My Fantasy's contemporary so my characters have names like George, Jack, and Rebecca. No Tim's tho.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liosse de Velishaf View Post
That's no excuse to call someone Glortheablat, though. XD
Glortheablat really rolls off my tongue. It's fun to say.

Glor-thea-blat. Really rolls when the accent is on the second or third syllable.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
Seems to me that one good way of choosing sensible names is ensuring you as the author are entirely confident about pronouncing them, and think others will be too. When I've been reading my MS out loud to others or discussing issues about characters/places, I've sometimes realised I'm not 100% sure how to pronounce a name I created. Major red flag that results in a name change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
A good portion of my names start out with finding a word that can sum up a character, either very tightly or loosely.
Then I play with the spelling a bit, working with how the name sounds and how it comes off in a person's mind.
And often my method of choosing names is a bit similar to Will's - I find a Greek or Latin word (a bit sad, maybe, but I have to use my past studies for something ) that relates to a key personality trait of the character, then toying with the word until it sounds like a good name. Hence Corussa, Orothon and various others.

I've also used a random name generator (at a webpage titled 'Serendipity') to create some names, although these might ultimately be replaced with more 'designed' names to ensure consistency of approach.

I also occasionally come across words in the dictionary that I just HAVE to use as names. Feldspar's in, but I'm not sure that Gallimaufrey and Godetia will have roles now, since the plot dramatically changed...

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
Dimanagul
Will Food for Write

Dimanagul has a spectacular aura
Rather that mewling over the meaning of a character's name I like using consonant sounds that match the character's personality. I also like to do anagram checks against their names.

Two examples:

Tartagin Tolten -- Travelling priest with a penchant for postulating.

Kristoph Rupandil -- Kleptomaniac Nobleman who thinks himself god's gift to women.

http://dimanagul.com -- Musings and Weekly Short Stories. Get your read on.
Dimanagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
RobertEvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_paint_the_sky View Post
I'm afraid someone already beat you to using the name Tim for a wizard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_the_Enchanter

It's a great film!

NONE SHALL PASS!!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Please could we stop putting apostrophes in the middle of names? Pretty please? I don't wish to read about any more characters called K'takh'lep or Yng'raveyt. Thanks!
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
RobertEvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Please could we stop putting apostrophes in the middle of names? Pretty please? I don't wish to read about any more characters called K'takh'lep or Yng'raveyt. Thanks!
Oh! I hate that too. Ugh!

It is amazing how much names convey about characters. I mean, imagine if Sauron or Voldemort were named "Ricky." Clearly the books would lose something.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Torgo
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen View Post
Oh! I hate that too. Ugh!

It is amazing how much names convey about characters. I mean, imagine if Sauron or Voldemort were named "Ricky." Clearly the books would lose something.
Oh, now I know what I'm doing this evening: I'm going to get an EPUB of Lord of the Rings now and find-replace 'Sauron' to 'Ricky'.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
amrose
is Envy Augustine

amrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolness
I don't mind complex names for characters as long as you get the tongue twister name once then everyone refers to that character using a short version.

Zeidi La'Mal Dzree is introduced, but he goes by either Zeidi or Dzree.

Like vampires? Like sex? Like the near future in an alternative history where humans have overthrown their bloodsucking overlords and use them for slave labor?

This novella might be for you.
amrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Torgo
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrose View Post
I don't mind complex names for characters as long as you get the tongue twister name once then everyone refers to that character using a short version.

How do you pronounce that apostrophe in La'Mal - glottal stop?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearilou View Post

Glor-thea-blat. Really rolls when the accent is on the second or third syllable.
I'd still feel sorry for the lady saddled with this unfortunate name. (Although maybe in her society it's considered beautiful?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrose View Post

Quote:

That's the real problem here. The people throwing in these apostrophes have no idea what an apostrophe actually means.

In English, it's usually an elision. In which case my question is, with all the z's and x's in there, why did you find it necessary to drop the vowel?

In other languages, it often represents a glottal stop, in which case my question is, does the author even know what a glottal stop is? XD
Making Magic Systems
Speculative Fiction Sub-Genre of the Week

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
Is that all I am to you people?! Just the girl with the whip?!
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Linda Adams
Soldier, Storyteller

Linda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudgeLinda Adams is better than ice cream with hot fudge
At one point, I was fed up with all the weird fantasy names -- especially the ones with random apostrophes. So I wrote a story and picked out names from a baby book. I got a personal rejection back -- they'd rejected it because of the names!

(Also got published by the next magazine I subbed to.)

"The Sea Listens" in Enchanted Spark
Linda Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #21
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
I'm okay with a few difficult names, but when every name is difficult and there are a million places and organizations to keep track of, I quickly lose patience with a book. One book that has had this effect on me is The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker. There are interesting parts to the story, but it's just name overload.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 105K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #22
amrose
is Envy Augustine

amrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
I would have said "there's a pause between the La and Mal."

I didn't know what a glottal stop was until just now.

When I encounter it in novels and videogames I read it as shorthand for "you are dealing with a fantasy/alien race" unless it's a human character speaking a foreign language. It's lazy unless the author really knows how to use it, but it doesn't bother me.

Like vampires? Like sex? Like the near future in an alternative history where humans have overthrown their bloodsucking overlords and use them for slave labor?

This novella might be for you.

Last edited by amrose; 11-13-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: a not I
amrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #23
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Even quite simple seeming names can trip people up if they aren't familiar - I've had two (avid fantasy readers) ask me how to pronounce Rojan so far. And I know someone called Rojan so it isn't even made up!

As long as it's easy for the reader to pick/sound out a pronunciation in their head, I think you're fine.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #24
Kevin Nelson
Aspiring to authorship since 1975

Kevin Nelson is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liosse de Velishaf View Post
That's the real problem here. The people throwing in these apostrophes have no idea what an apostrophe actually means.

In English, it's usually an elision. In which case my question is, with all the z's and x's in there, why did you find it necessary to drop the vowel?

In other languages, it often represents a glottal stop, in which case my question is, does the author even know what a glottal stop is? XD
When I see a lot of apostrophes in a name, I'm always reminded of the Wade-Giles system of writing Chinese. The apostrophes there indicate that a consonant is heavily aspirated, which is definitely useful information. I don't know how many fantasy authors have actually drawn inspiration from that, but imitating Wade-Giles seems reasonable enough to me. (FWIW, it looks to me like Wade-Giles gives native English speakers a better idea of Chinese pronunciation than Pinyin does.)
Kevin Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #25
K.P. Iris
Just call me Iris.

K.P. Iris is on a distinguished road
I tend to get a little historical when looking for an uncommon name. Usually something that may have been common waaaay back in anglo-saxon times. But since the novel I'm working on is urban fantasy/sci-fi I can get away with modern names that look uncommon on paper but are relatively easy to pronounce. That is if the reader has some knowledge of pronunciation sounds in other languages.

On an off-hand note: Glortheablat. Put "Princess" in front of it and it suddenly reminds me of Adventure Time.