Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
glutton
Banned for Trolling

glutton is a shiny, shiny jewelglutton is a shiny, shiny jewel
Non-fantastic fantasy

Would you consider stories that have no obviously supernatural or magical elements, but whose world follows somewhat different rules than our own, to qualify as fantasy?

Specifically, stories about normal sized women who can trade all-out punches with large male professional fighters, not get badly hurt, and win.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well... what else are you going to call it?

There's many different flavors of Fantasy, and they don't have to involve dragons and magic.

Thinking here... it's going to be hard to persuade me that any person, pro fighter or not, is going to walk away from a fight with a pro without getting badly hurt.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
glutton
Banned for Trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
Well... what else are you going to call it?

There's many different flavors of Fantasy, and they don't have to involve dragons and magic.

Thinking here... it's going to be hard to persuade me that any person, pro fighter or not, is going to walk away from a fight with a pro without getting badly hurt.
'Not get badly hurt' as in 'not get put in the hospital or killed' not 'take no damage'.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
RichardGarfinkle
I was dead, to begin with
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My first published novel was described as Alternate Science since it was a completely different world that worked by scientific method but the underlying rules were different from ours. Technically, fantasy but non-fantastic.

The story description given sounds like low powered superheroes rather than fantasy.

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, are there any other fantastic elements?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
glutton
Banned for Trolling

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGarfinkle View Post
My first published novel was described as Alternate Science since it was a completely different world that worked by scientific method but the underlying rules were different from ours. Technically, fantasy but non-fantastic.

The story description given sounds like low powered superheroes rather than fantasy.
Aren't superheroes with powers either fantasy or sci-fi depending on their origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liosse de Velishaf View Post
Well, are there any other fantastic elements?
In two of the stories I refer to, no, just the unrealism of the heroines' damage soak.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
RobertEvert
practical experience, FTW

RobertEvert has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by glutton View Post
Would you consider stories that have no obviously supernatural or magical elements, but whose world follows somewhat different rules than our own, to qualify as fantasy?

Specifically, stories about normal sized women who can trade all-out punches with large male professional fighters, not get badly hurt, and win.
Fantasy??? I know a lot of women like this! One of them was named Sunday. Met her in college. Oh, she was beautiful! But don't mess with her

ANYHOW.... I suppose it would be considered fantasy if ALL the women were like that.

Sounds like a terrific story. Love to read it.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is this a story about a fighter? 'Cause then I wouldn't call it fantasy. If she's a superhero or something, it's probably still not fantasy or sci-fi, honestly.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
glutton
Banned for Trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liosse de Velishaf View Post
Is this a story about a fighter? 'Cause then I wouldn't call it fantasy. If she's a superhero or something, it's probably still not fantasy or sci-fi, honestly.
The first point might be fair, but how would superheroes not be considered sci-fi or fantasy? I'm pretty sure the Wonder Woman novel I saw was shelved as sci-fi/fantasy.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Quote:
The first point might be fair, but how would superheroes not be considered sci-fi or fantasy? I'm pretty sure the Wonder Woman novel I saw was shelved as sci-fi/fantasy.

Not superheroes in general. Just this one specifically.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #11
fadeaccompli
here and there again

fadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admiration
There are a lot of fuzzy lines between what's fantastic and what's merely genre convention.

For example, there are all sorts of books and movies in which someone can be bonked on the head to render them unconscious--for more than a few seconds, mind--without any serious after-effects. This is wildly unrealistic, but we generally don't call it a mark of "fantasy"; it's just genre convention.

Action movies where a car is shot, and then suddenly explodes into a billowing column of glorious flame? We don't call it fantasy. Romance movies where stalking someone brings you true love instead of a restraining order? Not called fantasy. Historical movies with major factual errors? It's not called fantasy.

So the initial post--which frankly comes across as trolling, but I'll take it as if it's serious--wherein "normal sized women who can trade all-out punches with large male professional fighters, not get badly hurt, and win" barely even pings the meter for what's accepted as a story that's not labeled fantasy. That's far, far lower on the scale of breaks from reality than "We'll just bop the guard over the head to get past him, and that's safe! It's not like we've just caused permanent long-term brain damage to an innocent man, just because he's still shown to be unconscious from head trauma several minutes later!"
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
This might sound weird, but genre labels are not intended to accurately classify books.

Genre labels are intended to funnel people who like those sorts of books to the correct shelf in the bookstore.

The question you need to ask yourself is not, "Is my book most accurately described as fantasy?" but rather, "Will people who love fantasy books be pissed off to find my book contains so little fantasy?"

If the answer is yes to that second question, your book needs a different label.

That is to say, if you've written the world's best horror novel, but try to sell it as a romance, you'll find that instead of reaching the large audience your book deserves, you'll only succeed in pissing off romance readers and generating negative word-of-mouth about your book.

Last edited by jjdebenedictis; 11-12-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
glutton
Banned for Trolling

The only other options I can think are 'Action-Adventure' (which will be one of its two categories on Amazon), 'Sports', and 'General Fiction'.

Maybe I should go with the latter!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #14
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaccompli View Post
There are a lot of fuzzy lines between what's fantastic and what's merely genre convention.

For example, there are all sorts of books and movies in which someone can be bonked on the head to render them unconscious--for more than a few seconds, mind--without any serious after-effects. This is wildly unrealistic, but we generally don't call it a mark of "fantasy"; it's just genre convention.

Action movies where a car is shot, and then suddenly explodes into a billowing column of glorious flame? We don't call it fantasy. Romance movies where stalking someone brings you true love instead of a restraining order? Not called fantasy. Historical movies with major factual errors? It's not called fantasy.

So the initial post--which frankly comes across as trolling, but I'll take it as if it's serious--wherein "normal sized women who can trade all-out punches with large male professional fighters, not get badly hurt, and win" barely even pings the meter for what's accepted as a story that's not labeled fantasy. That's far, far lower on the scale of breaks from reality than "We'll just bop the guard over the head to get past him, and that's safe! It's not like we've just caused permanent long-term brain damage to an innocent man, just because he's still shown to be unconscious from head trauma several minutes later!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdebenedictis View Post
This might sound weird, but genre labels are not intended to accurately classify books.

Genre labels are intended to funnel people who like those sorts of books to the correct shelf in the bookstore.

The question you need to ask yourself is not, "Is my book most accurately described as fantasy?" but rather, "Will people who love fantasy books be pissed off to find my book contains so little fantasy?"

If the answer is yes to that second question, your book needs a different label.

Fantastic points from the two posters quoted above.

Honestly, this only pinged my fantasy radar because your post suggested that it should. Lots of fighting movies, shows, books are wildly unrealistic, and this doesn't even go that far.

jj basically said what I was trying to say. People who read fantasy are not going to be your target market for this book as much as I can tell from your post. It sounds like completely mainstream/action fiction.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
glutton
Banned for Trolling

Ah okay, so 'unrealism' is not the same as fantastic. Got it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Ian Isaro

Ian Isaro is on a distinguished road
One more vote in the genre conventions category: unrealistic damage soaking is a common trope. Action heroes are forever taking bullets to the shoulder that make them grimace but don't substantially inhibit their abilities or require months of recovery.

Cubicle Quest - the game about escaping work to follow your dreams
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yes. This is pretty much what Lord Dunsany's work is like (well, maybe not specifically the fighting part), and he's one of the godfathers of modern fantasy fiction. There are others. Likewise the earlier, and excellent, George MacDonald. Far too few current aspiring Fantasy writers know anything about these guys.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Kevin Nelson
Aspiring to authorship since 1975

Kevin Nelson is well-respected
Sounds to me like action-adventure is the right category.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #19
glutton
Banned for Trolling

Related question - but what if there are no other fantastic elements, but characters (or a character) can survive gruesome life-threatening injuries like impalements and keep carrying on like it's a flesh wound? Is that unrealistic enough to be considered fantasy?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #20
fadeaccompli
here and there again

fadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admiration
Quote:
Related question - but what if there are no other fantastic elements, but characters (or a character) can survive gruesome life-threatening injuries like impalements and keep carrying on like it's a flesh wound? Is that unrealistic enough to be considered fantasy?
When someone gets impaled and then carries on, is there sparkly magical effects indicating it's MAGIC that makes this possible?

Or is there teeth-gritting and sweat and furrowed brows indicating it's ACTION ADVENTURE that makes this possible?

Unless it's the former, it's not going to be considered fantasy. As a marketing category, people generally don't pick up a novel labeled Fantasy and expect to find a perfectly standard action-adventure story, except for the characters being able to shrug off wounds the way action heroes do in the movies. Not unless someone goes "My god, you survived that impalement? MAGIC!" or the like in the process.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #21
glutton
Banned for Trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaccompli View Post
When someone gets impaled and then carries on, is there sparkly magical effects indicating it's MAGIC that makes this possible?

Or is there teeth-gritting and sweat and furrowed brows indicating it's ACTION ADVENTURE that makes this possible?

Unless it's the former, it's not going to be considered fantasy. As a marketing category, people generally don't pick up a novel labeled Fantasy and expect to find a perfectly standard action-adventure story, except for the characters being able to shrug off wounds the way action heroes do in the movies. Not unless someone goes "My god, you survived that impalement? MAGIC!" or the like in the process.
How far would you say then you would have to go before it's considered fantastic? If the rules of the world are clearly different then our own - say, someone stitches her guts back in and survives because 'she's a great warrior' and a few chapters later rips apart a bear's jaws because 'she's a great warrior' would that level of unrealism propel it into fantasy territory?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #22
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
How far would you say then you would have to go before it's considered fantastic? If the rules of the world are clearly different then our own - say, someone stitches her guts back in and survives because 'she's a great warrior' and a few chapters later rips apart a bear's jaws because 'she's a great warrior' would that level of unrealism propel it into fantasy territory?
I'd say you're getting close, at that point.

However, the important question is still whether your book would appeal to readers who like fantasy novels.

Would it? You seem to be avoiding that question. It's really not important whether the book is fantastical--you're trying to determine who your target audience is.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #23
glutton
Banned for Trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdebenedictis View Post
I'd say you're getting close, at that point.

However, the important question is still whether your book would appeal to readers who like fantasy novels.

Would it? You seem to be avoiding that question. It's really not important whether the book is fantastical--you're trying to determine who your target audience is.
The new question isn't about a particular story I've written, it's hypothetical... mainly because most of my stories do have other fantastic elements.

Last edited by glutton; 11-14-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It occurs to me that the two movies 'Kickass' and 'Scott Pilgrim' fall into this zone - their universes obviously work a little bit different than ours, but we still recognize the settings and most of the physical laws.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is there an explanation for the warrior's super strength other than "because she's a great warrior"? (Radioactive spills/bites blah blah blah, a world where super strength exists in a few people, pain killers, an amazing childhood spent training with super sekrit monks etc)

The explanation behind the MC's amazing strength might give an insight to the book's genre.
Hur hur.

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Closed Thread