Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Games
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Fewer new IP:s from EA

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...riority-for-EA
Quote:
Levy states that EA's previous stategy of "big brands + big marketing budget + high production values = $$$" may have "finally run its course in the core space." Going forward, Levy believes, EA will focus on smaller games that will provide a bigger return on the publisher's investment. "As far as I can tell from publicly facing information, creating innovative, new IPs just isn't a priority for the organization."
So, if what this former producer say is true, it looks like firms like BioWare will be producing the next Angry Birds for iOS and Android instead of creating new worlds and experiences on the level of Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

My initial reaction is split about this. If EA could get out of big games, it would be good. There are enough firms out there to fill the vacuum, and many of those firms are healthier for the industry than EA. But it could also be a signal about things to come.

Maybe the age of big budget triple A titles are coming to an end?
The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
"Yes, of course we were pretentious — what else is youth for?"
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything
Maxinquaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
lilyWhite
Butterfly siren

lilyWhite should run for PresidentlilyWhite should run for PresidentlilyWhite should run for PresidentlilyWhite should run for PresidentlilyWhite should run for PresidentlilyWhite should run for President
I read the blog post by Ethan Levy that was linked to in the news article.

Quote:
Of the many new IPs developed for this generation, only Army of Two, Dead Space and Dragon Age continue to see new versions. As far as I can tell from publicly facing information, creating innovative, new IPs just isn’t a priority for the organization.
...someone who used to work for a BioWare studio who isn't aware that they are making a new Mass Effect? And making sequels for a small number of IPs means that they're not going to create new IPs?

While I'm sure that games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out will be more prevalent from EA, I truly doubt that they're going to completely abandon existing IPs and creating new IPs—or that they're going to make BioWare do Angry Birds.

~ - ~ - - ~ - ~
Lily being a Twit ~ Tumblr
lilyWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bioware is also working on developing a brand new IP. They announced that last month when the founders retired from the company. It'll be for next gen, just like the next Mass Effect.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
I can't help but see all the parallels between the gaming industry and publishing right now.

The middle tiers are disappearing in both; corporate content producers churn out derivative triple-A titles, while all the innovation and small/niche/smart work comes from the indies at the bottom.

Ouya may be for the games industry what the Kindle was for publishing.

There are still developers producing great triple-A titles, like Bethesda and Valve. Interestingly, IMO, the great triple-A titles tend to go hand-in-hand with modability. User content is what makes these games great.

I wrote UNTEACHABLE, a New Adult Romance.
My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
efkelley
ow

efkelley is a glorious beacon of lightefkelley is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
There are still developers producing great triple-A titles, like Bethesda and Valve. Interestingly, IMO, the great triple-A titles tend to go hand-in-hand with modability. User content is what makes these games great.
I'd also like to note that the two companies you pointed to are not publicly traded companies. They don't have quarterly profitability statements to report to Wall Street. So, if the game has to slip to be a better game, it can.

And, like you, I see the middle tier disappearing. When the people who have 'the most' invested in your company can divest themselves by clicking 'sell', you've got a problem.
The Obligatory Facebook Link
efkelley is offline   Reply With Quote