Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
I_love_coffee
that's what it's all about....

Location: The Hokey Pokey Clinic ( it's the place to turn yourself around)
I_love_coffee is on a distinguished road
how to do line by line edits in SYW?

What are the steps needed to edit someones work? You know, when you quote their work but it looks like someone went through with a pen and made corrections? Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In the person's message box, there is a "quote" button.
Hit that and you quote their entire message.
I typically crop everything but the actual writing (just delete their comments).
And from there you have a choice of how you want to leave your comments.
There is a large "A" at the top, and near it is an arrow to change color. Hit that and change to any colore. Every time after that, you can just tap the "A" and the change will occur. Depending on your system, you might get something like [COLOR="Red" ] [/COLOR] without the space near "Red" and the ]. Anything typed {Red"] In here [/Color} will be in color.
Or, you can just hit the "B" to leave in bold. Works the same way, but with [B ] [/B]
Or, you can cut every line up with the "quote" button, but that's tedious.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Concentrate more upon your reactions to the writing rather than editing to make what you consider to be corrections. Don't try and be too clever with colours and fancy stuff. Colours can be a real pain in the ass to read.

As Will says, simply hit Quote, and experiment from there.

You can hit 'Advanced' and hit 'Preview Post' as often as you like, and until you finally hit 'Submit Reply' nothing will be posted.

Even if it is, you can then select Edit and change whatever you like or delete the whole post if you wish.

The system of posting is the same in any Forum on the Board, including here. It's really a case of trying and seeing what happens. You'll only learn by doing.

Last edited by Bufty; 11-09-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
I_love_coffee
that's what it's all about....

Location: The Hokey Pokey Clinic ( it's the place to turn yourself around)
I_love_coffee is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thanks Will and Buffy!