• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Captive Unicorn Publications

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
http://www.captiveunicorn.com/Home_Page.html

Captive Unicorn has entered into a partnership with Liberator, Inc. to produce the Liberator Erotic Library.

We are actively seeking submissions for four collections in this all digital library targeted for launch in early 2013.

Writers of erotic romance and other erotic fiction are encouraged view our Submissions page for full details.

I have submitted to them and am waiting for a response. I found a link to them via The Erotica Readers & Writers Association.

Has anyone else submitted to them?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought were 'Captive Unicorn' ? Seriously?

Second thought - shitty site, not user friendly.

It seems to be mostly focused on shorts, and they, by their own admission, don't seem to have too much interest in novels or novellas. So I guess if you write erotic short stories then you may be interested.

They do define a 'novel' as being '30,001 – 55,000' which makes my teeth squeaky though. And they use the term 'mini-novella' instead of 'short' both of which make me think they dont' have a lot of experience.

In their 'contact us' page there are a few more red flags.

Namely:

In other lives, under different names, Antoine de l'Espérance has built a catalog of more than 250 published works, spanning both digital and printed media. An author who believes one should write what he knows, he is busily researching new erotic works.../quote]

No mention of what those other names where, or published with who. Also, no other experience listed other than as a writer - which raises all the usual flags.

Sia St. Martin, with the help of her alter-ego who insists on remaining nameless, has spent the better part of her life writing. With credits ranging from extensive professional documents to the nearly 200 online and print articles in journals, periodicals and newspapers, Sia has been sought after both as a writer and editor. With a penchant for process, her passion is blending technology and craft to showcase tantalizing erotic fiction - especially erotic romance. Sia is an active member of Romance Writers of America (RWA).

And again, a second person who insists on her other 'professional' writing credits remaining anonymous.

Hmmm. Not inspiring confidence here.

Also, no books listed anywhere on the site, no blurbs, covers, royalty info etc etc etc.

Do not touch.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
Thank you Shaldna. I did already submit, so I'll wait and see what they send me. I did find it odd that they do not want you to send in the full manuscript for short stories.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
It's the one field of literature where writers might have legitimate reasons to not want to identify their other writing by title and publisher.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
It's the one field of literature where writers might have legitimate reasons to not want to identify their other writing by title and publisher.

This is true, but if they are writing under a pseudonym, then they should be able to tell us what that pseudonym is, hence we can tell if they are a legitimate author with legitimate credentials, sales, etc.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Indeed. It would seem to me to make more sense to use a pen name that has published than what also seems to be a pen name, that hasn't. After all, this is a press for erotic fiction and a person claiming to have published erotic fiction--so why not use the same name for both?

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Indeed. It would seem to me to make more sense to use a pen name that has published than what also seems to be a pen name, that hasn't. After all, this is a press for erotic fiction and a person claiming to have published erotic fiction--so why not use the same name for both?

I'm just guessing, but if it's like many other small presses started so that the owners could publish their own work, they probably don't want people to realize how much of their catalogue is written by the owners.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I went back to ERWA and found the call for submissions post. Some of the info seems to be different on this post.

Call For Submissions
Captive Unicorn Publications
www.captiveunicorn.com

Captive Unicorn Publications has partnered with Liberator, Inc. a brand leader is the emerging sexual health and wellness industry, to create the Liberator Erotic Library. This all-electronic library presents high-quality works of both erotic romance and classic erotic fiction.
We are actively seeking submissions for four erotica collections in this all digital library targeted for launch in early 2013.

Payment is generally 37% of cover price based on prior monthly sales.

[IMPORTANT NOTE] We request all rights.

The Liberator Erotic Library includes works in four lengths, as measured by computer word count:

• Mini-novella under 15,000
  • Novella 15,000 – 30,000
  • Novel 30,001 – 55,000
  • Novel+ over 55,000
The Liberator Erotic Libraryis heavily focused on shorter works which can be read in one or two sittings. A limited number of Novel and Novel+ length works will be published each year.
Captive Unicorn Publications manages the acquisition, editing and production of content for the Liberator Erotic Library. Captive Unicorn accepts electronically submitted queries only.
Writers of erotic romance and other erotic fiction are encouraged view our Submissions page at www.captiveunicorn.com for full details.
I do not remember seeing on their website that they request ALL rights. I think that may have been added to the post on ERWA later, that is defiantly something that I would have noticed.

Original link is NSFW : http://www.erotica-readers.com/ERA/AR/Captive_Unicorn_Publications.htm

Edit: Went back to CV's submission page and did a control f search for "rights". Only thing that it highlighted was the copyright at the bottom of the page.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I got the ultra-strong Do Not Touch vibes when I saw their call. Too little information, seems like little to no experience, no books out, and a crappy website. Stepping away, now...

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
A bit more info about royalties:

What is your royalty structure?

• Royalties in the Liberator Erotic Library typically are paid monthly at a rate of 37% of cover price, based on prior month's sales.
In case your were wondering about Liberator, Inc:

Liberator, Inc. is a dynamic, vertically-integrated public company (OTCBB/OTCQB: LUVU) capitalizing on the emerging sexual wellness revolution through the worldwide marketing of the Liberator® line of products, the luxury and lovestyle brand that celebrates intimacy by inspiring romantic imagination. Liberator is known for its cutting edge advertising in publications such as Cosmo, Rolling Stone, Men's Fittness, Esquire and more. Liberator products have been featured in movies including Meet the Fockers and Burn After Reading as well as TV shows such TLC's Strange Sex. Liberator's weekly e-mail communication is delivered to over 60,000 readers.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
[IMPORTANT NOTE] We request all rights

Except they state that they are 'all digital' which means that they are not in a position to exploit those rights.

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score
The main Liberator site (tagline: "Bedroom adventure gear") focuses on high-end sex toys; presumably Captive Unicorn's integration in all this vertical dynamic branding synergy is to provide some titles for their currently empty "erotic fiction" subcategory. Though since they were able to find existing titles to stock the "sex ed books" subcategory, I do wonder why that approach wasn't adequate for fiction.

...I'm going to just close that tab now, before any children show up to the coffeehouse where I'm writing.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I can't find anything on the actual Liberator site that states that they are working with Captive Unicorn to publish ebooks. I might shoot Liberator an email and see what they say.

Edit: I e-mailed Liberator about CVP.

Last edited:

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I ended up receiving an R&R. The thing is, I've never seen such a detailed one. I got an Excel file with a play-by-play rating of my MS and my MS had a handful of comments on it. This is more than I have ever received on any R&R. So far, I'm impressed. I have emailed the editors and asked if I can post more information about the excel file.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
I signed my contract last week and I'm relatively pleased with CU so far. The contract is NOT with CU, but with the parent company OneUp Innovations, Inc.,. There have been a few instances where communication was slow.

One thing I would like to point out is the royalties. You get 37% per story BUT you can make 40% per story if you include a Liberator product. I did not know about this until I read through the contract.

I do not have a set publication date, nor have I heard an official launch date.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
So, tell us about the rights. Did they still want everything, including the cupcake wrapper syndication rights?

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
What are they? Did the publisher get them all?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Unicorns should never be held captive. :(

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
Print and ANY other mutlimedia (including future technology that isn't out yet), movies/tv, audio books, broadcasting of readings/tv/movies public readings, anthologies, commercial merchandise/lyrics and to sell through any source.

Contract is for 7 years. No word on if they want the kitchen sink too.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Print and ANY other mutlimedia (including future technology that isn't out yet), movies/tv, audio books, broadcasting of readings/tv/movies public readings, anthologies, commercial merchandise/lyrics and to sell through any source.
But they're not in a position to exploit many of those rights. Are there provisions for them selling rights to other companies? If so, do they give you a cut of the take?
Is there a reversion clause, or is it seven years no matter what?

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
Wow!! My publisher said that if I wanted to make my book into a film, they wouldn't stand in my way, but didn't want any rights to it. They said they would help me to make an ebook and an audio book if the paper books does well, but that's it! Oh, and I like your cat too. Very cute. Mine's in kitty heaven now, I sure do miss her. :((

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
But they're not in a position to exploit many of those rights. Are there provisions for them selling rights to other companies? If so, do they give you a cut of the take?

My understanding of the terms in the contract is that I will get a cut, but how much I get is NOT outlined in this contract. My cut would only be determined if/when the product(s) are made.

Is there a reversion clause, or is it seven years no matter what?

There is a reversion clause. Its not a wonderful contract, but I decided to take the risk because it is a short story.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
My understanding of the terms in the contract is that I will get a cut, but how much I get is NOT outlined in this contract. My cut would only be determined if/when the product(s) are made.

This has me a little concerned - I don't like the way you said 'my understanding' - contracts shouldn't be open to interpretation. Did you get your lawyer or agent to look at it before you signed?

It should stake the terms clearly - including what percentage cut you'll get from other mediums - like movies etc - because if that's not spelled out in your contract, then you could well find yourself in the position where you're getting 0.5% - it's still a 'cut' afterall.