A or An unanimous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specval

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
84
Reaction score
12
Location
Sunny Florida
Hi everyone. I've googled this and I've found what I believe to be the correct answer, but I trust you guys more than my search.

What I've found suggests that it's 'a unanimous' (which I have to agree sounds better), but it doesn't follow the rule. Also, the reasoning I found for it seems silly. We use A because unanimous is pronounced like you-nanimous???

So I just want to make sure A goes before unanimous and the reasoning is correct?

Thank you!
 

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
72,919
Reaction score
12,277
Location
Tennessee
You go by the sound of the first syllable of the next word, not always by whether the word starts with a vowel or not.

I would think it's a unanimous.
 

mccardey

Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 10, 2010
Messages
20,175
Reaction score
18,540
Location
Australia.
A

Really, it is.

A lot of things don't follow the rules.


ETA: It does follow the rule, if the rule is that you use a before words that start with a consonant sound and an with words that start with a vowel sound. But sometimes there are exceptions to rules - all rules. Drives me crazy, too.
 
Last edited:

Specval

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
84
Reaction score
12
Location
Sunny Florida
You go by the sound of the first syllable of the next word, not always by whether the word start with a vowel or not.

I would think it's a unanimous.

See I thought the rule was more clean cut. If it's a vowel you put 'an'

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's uncertain about this. I felt a little dumb having to ask. lol
 

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
16,339
Reaction score
4,111
Location
East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
Website
www.jlevitt.com
What I've found suggests that it's 'a unanimous' (which I have to agree sounds better), but it doesn't follow the rule. Also, the reasoning I found for it seems silly. We use A because unanimous is pronounced like you-nanimous???

So I just want to make sure A goes before unanimous and the reasoning is correct?

Thank you!
It's not silly at all. The "rule" has to do with the sound of the word following "a" or "an," not the letter.

Thus, an hour, because the h is silent and the word starts with a vowel sound

But, a one track mind, because the "o" in one starts with the sound of a w.

"A" unanimous decision is most definitely correct.
 

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
899
Reaction score
227
Location
Austin, TX
See I thought the rule was more clean cut. If it's a vowel you put 'an'

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's uncertain about this. I felt a little dumb having to ask. lol

It's a little fuzzier than that. Basically, we don't like putting two vowel sounds right next to each other, because it requires a little break to distinguish them, which messes with the flow of words in English. Try saying "a unbuttoning" or "a uncle" out loud. That's why we have "an" with those instead. (Fun fact! "an uncle" used to be "a nuncle", in the reverse of how "an ewt" became "a newt".)

But a lot of words in English that are written to start with vowels actually have a consonant sort of sound at the beginning, more like the letter Y. Compare "a universe", where it sounds like you-ni-verse. Or unanimous.

Then you get the other side of things, where we pronounce some H's and some we don't, and it varies by dialect, so you have a historian or an historian, depending on who you're talking to.

But I digress.

In any case, in American English, you would have a unanimous opinion about an unlocked door.
 

gettingby

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
3,343
Reaction score
1,311
Ooops. I was wrong. Looked to quickly without thinking. Sorry. It is A
 

Specval

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Jul 29, 2012
Messages
84
Reaction score
12
Location
Sunny Florida
You could say, "The descision was unanimous," and not have to worry. :D

But.....


This.


Oh I tried to rewrite it so I didn't have to deal with this... but it just wasn't working. lol


Thank you all very much for helping me figure this out. It all makes sense now! I'm sure I've written 'a unanimous' or things like "an hour" numerous times, but once someone called me on it and I had to think about it, I couldn't figure out what the rule really is. Thanks again everyone!
 

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
20,321
Reaction score
3,513
Location
Transcending Canines
It's not silly at all. The "rule" has to do with the sound of the word following "a" or "an," not the letter.
This. ^

Look for other words that start with the same sound, but not necessarily the same spelling:
A yearning.
A youthful yearning.
A unanimous youthful yearning.
A euphemistic unanimous youthful yearning.
An alliterative euphemistic unanimous youthful yearning.
 

BethS

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Dec 21, 2005
Messages
11,708
Reaction score
1,766
It's "a unanimous."
 

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Jan 12, 2012
Messages
15,471
Reaction score
768
Location
Missouri
It's "a."

You wouldn't say an yard, would you?
 

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
16,767
Reaction score
4,663
Location
Scotland
'A' or 'an' usage also varies depending upon how the speaker speaks.
 

Jamesaritchie

Super Member
Registered
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
27,863
Reaction score
2,313
'A' or 'an' usage also varies depending upon how the speaker speaks.

Not in writing. Editors usually have no clue how people speak, and only see the word son the page. Getting it wrong too often can take an editor out of the story and cause rejection.
 

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
May 11, 2007
Messages
20,569
Reaction score
4,814
Location
youtu.be/QRruBVFXjnY
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Editors usually have no clue how people speak,

Do you really believe that?

Editors, by and large, do know what words sound like, if only in their native tongue, yes? An editor who didn't have a rudimentary grasp of the regular rhythm and flow of language would be out of a job, or limited to working for themselves, I should think.

As indicated above, the pronunciation of the word (caveat - the English word, other languages may have other rules that apply) is made with the "u" shape and sound, so "a" would be correct.
 

Deleted member 42

Not in writing. Editors usually have no clue how people speak, and only see the word son the page. Getting it wrong too often can take an editor out of the story and cause rejection.

Mr. Ritchie, are you an editor?

Or are you posting deliberate canards as some sort of eccentric form of amusement?

Because your assertion that "Editors usually have no clue how people speak, and only see the word son [sic] the page" reflects exceedingly poorly on your level of professionalism, and actual experience.

If you're getting rejected, it's not because of a minor issue of phonology like the use of "a" vs. "an" before a voiced vowel. It's for far deeper causes.

It's both untrue and insulting.
 

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
8,049
Reaction score
772
Location
Clearlake Park, CA
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Well, I can see a character using "an unanimous" in dialogue. Characters, as real people, don't often speak correctly- they mix tenses, use slang, and use strange word constructions. As long as the above phrase is in line with how the character has been speaking all along, I don't see why an agent or editor would have a question. I think they can tell the difference between voice and poor writing by other aspects of the writing.
 

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Super Member
Registered
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
16,767
Reaction score
4,663
Location
Scotland
What are you talking about - not in writing.

Dialogue is writing. A cockney character will drop his aitches all over the place, scatter 'an's like seed, and pay not the slightest regard to whether it's 'right' or 'wrong'.

It's right if it sounds right and wrong if it doesn't.

Not in writing. Editors usually have no clue how people speak, and only see the word son the page. Getting it wrong too often can take an editor out of the story and cause rejection.
 

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Super Member
Registered
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
604
Reaction score
171
Location
Everett, Washington
Do you really believe that?

Editors, by and large, do know what words sound like, if only in their native tongue, yes? An editor who didn't have a rudimentary grasp of the regular rhythm and flow of language would be out of a job, or limited to working for themselves, I should think.

As indicated above, the pronunciation of the word (caveat - the English word, other languages may have other rules that apply) is made with the "u" shape and sound, so "a" would be correct.

I took the statement as the editor not knowing how the writer speaks, so if a writer using a and an speaks in a way not conventional to the editor's culture, there could be a problem there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.