Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Vomaxx
practical experience, FTW

Vomaxx has a spectacular aura
[Agency] Dee Mura Literary / Dee Mura Enterprises Inc.

And Dee Mura ??

Just trying to recover my hijacked thread here....
Vomaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:37 AM   #2
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Exclamation

I've no direct experience with Dee Mura, but Google brings up a lot of complaints about no response, including the P&E listing of same. So I wouldn't hold your breath with this one.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
smallthunder
Ruled by Dachshunds

smallthunder has a spectacular aura
Cool I can breathe again!

Well, I can't really say that I was holding my breath in anticipation of a reply from Dee Mura -- but it is still a relief to know that I'm not the only individual wondering if she fell off the face of the earth recently.

I sent a query, and then a follow-up, but not a peep and we're coming up to the "2 months/abandon all hope" stage.
smallthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
Mark
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mark is on a distinguished road
Dee Mura...Two queries for two different novels...

There's no reply at all
There's No reply at all
Is anybody listening
Is anybody listening
Whoa-whoa
There's no reply at all

Patiently waiting for an Eagles Championship, but I'll take one from the Flyers, Sixers, or Phillies in the meantime.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
smallthunder
Ruled by Dachshunds

Laggards or Lost Causes?

Greetings!
Of 25 literary agents/agencies I have queried, five have not yet responded. I don't know if they are laggards or lost causes, but I thought I might as well throw out their names to hear what others have to say and/or let others know for future reference:

Willliam Clark Associates -- 8 weeks, 2 e-mails generated generic e-mail receipts

McHugh Literary Agency -- 9 weeks, 2 e-mails, nothing (not usual, I've read)

Dee Mura Literary -- 9 weeks, 2 e-mails, nada (not usual, I've read)

Southern Literary Group -- almost 8 weeks, nothing in the mail

The Vines/James Vine -- 9 weeks, e-mail, no response
Old 04-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Vines and Clark are very successful, and probably very busy. Worth waiting for.

Dee Mura seems to have a rep for slow turnaround (Writer Beware has received a number of complaints). I think this agency does have a track record, but my impression is it isn't large.

Elisabet McHugh asks clients to provide multiple full ms. copies upfront--sometimes as many as 30, which is way more than would be needed, even for an auction. Again, she has what appears to be a smallish track record, but I've received and seen a number of complaints about inefficiency and nonresponsiveness. Several clients have reported no response despite repeated attempts at contact, and say they were unable to get info about where their mss. were submitted or whether/how they were rejected.

Southern Literary Group used to claim an association with Laurie Perkins (it still may), but I'm not aware it has any sales.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
smallthunder
Ruled by Dachshunds

Not UNusual

Thanks, Victoria, for your response -- I meant to type that I've read it is not UNusual for McHugh & Dee Mura to be so unresponsive. I think I'm brain-dead tonight (Taipei Time).
Then again, it's not UNusual for me to be brain-dead these days.
But that's another story ...
Old 04-16-2005, 03:20 AM   #8
Vomaxx

Vomaxx has a spectacular aura
Vines Agency: Mail query sent Oct. 7. Rejection received Oct. 25--a rubber stamp on the query letter.

Dee Mura: Mail query sent Oct. 4. Second mail query sent Jan. 27. E-mail query sent Mar. 25. No response at all.

A pox on both their houses!
Vomaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
sirensix
Mediocre Sorceress

sirensix is well-respected
Dee Mura literary agency

I just called the Dee Mura literary agency to ask and see if anyone there represented both fantasy & mainstream fiction. The assistant checked to see who was currently reading, and said I should send it to "Sandra." I asked for the last name, and there was kind of a pause and she said, "There's only one Sandra here." I was too abashed to inquire further.

Who is this oh-so-famous Sandra I should know about? I'm not in the habit of addressing business letters to people whose last names I don't know.
sirensix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #10
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can't answer your Sandra question, but Writer Beware has been getting questions about the Dee Mura agency for years and we've been able to find out almost nothing about them. I think this may be because they are more focused on film properties and talent management than on selling book manuscripts. I follow sales reports for fantasy and SF, and I can't recall seeing any SF/f sales for this agency at least in the past couple of years.

I've also gotten reports of nonresponse to queries and looooong turnaround times.

They appear to have a website, but I have never been able to get it to load.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Cathy C
Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Absolute Sage

Cathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCathy C is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I just called the Dee Mura literary agency to ask and see if anyone there represented both fantasy & mainstream fiction.
Umm... Why would you want to submit to them? The agency has numerous complaints at P&E about not responding to queries, there are no sales on Publishers Marketplace, no listing as EXISTING on Agentquery, which are detailed on her own thread here:

www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792
I wouldn't worry too much about Sandra's last name. It sounds like a shonky operation anyway. Move on to the next one on the list, IMO!
Re-release of Thrall series as URBAN FANTASY!
FORBIDDEN, coming 6/15!
My Website
Follow me: Twitter

".Adams and Clamp are adept at incorporating riveting plot twists into this fully imagined world" **Starred Review ALA Booklist

"Great chemistry between the leads and a swift pace. - Publishers Weekly

"An exceedingly intriguing heroine trying to survive a dangerous and complex world. Kate's struggles and choices are both vivid and terrifying. An unbeatably good paranormal! RT Bookreviews
Cathy C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
P&E confirms Victoria's observation about the non-response issues.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
mdin
The late, the great XThe NavigatorX

mdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmdin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe she's like Madonna and Cher. It's just Sandra.

My Art
mdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
Aconite
Gone

Aconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAconite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirensix
I asked for the last name, and there was kind of a pause and she said, "There's only one Sandra here."
What an odd response. What on earth does her being the only Sandra there have to do with her last name? As you pointed out, you'd need to know her last name in order to address mail to her, regardless of how many Sandras there may be. Peculiar, that.
Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award
Aconite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #15
astonwest
2 WIP? A glutton for punishment

astonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe the reason for the nonresponse issue is that everyone keeps sending their queries directed to Sandra. She gets it and thinks "if they can't even bother putting my last name, why would I bother responding?"

Big Daddy West
Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.
astonwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 AM   #16
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you're set on submitting your book to them, send it to Dee Mura Literary Agency, attn: Saundra and think no more about it.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #17
zeprosnepsid

zeprosnepsid is a shiny, shiny jewelzeprosnepsid is a shiny, shiny jewel
Well, I work in the film industry and at my to-be-unnamed company we have 'Janice'. Whenever someone inquires about sending us stuff we don't want my boss tells them to address to to Janice. If they continue to bother us about it, my boss says Janice doesn't work here anymore.

I have a feeling Sandra is good friends with Janice.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #18
sirensix
Mediocre Sorceress

sirensix is well-respected
Thanks for the heads-up. Dee Mura is off my list.
sirensix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #19
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Website for Dee Mura Literary / Dee Mura Enterprises, Inc. (http://www.deemura.com/) is currently a "we're redesigning" placeholder.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #20
Live2Write
Ink in Veins

Live2Write is on a distinguished road
Question Dee Mura Literary Agency

Hello all,

I'm in the process of narrowing down my agents to query and as I was going through the web looking up more information from the 2007 Guide to Literary Agents I found that the Dee Mura Literary Agency seems to have hardly any information about it. It's listed as a publishing house in the book but seems to "do everything", even work with actors and bands. To me, this is completely fishy. The book doesn't list any of their publications only that they've "sold over 40 titles and 35 scripts in the last year."

It seems too generalized. Does anybody know anything about these guys?

Thanks,

L2W

Live2Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #21
novellabob

novellabob is on a distinguished road
Dee Mura has been around for a while, and her listing in Writer's Market has always listed a fair number of sales. That having been said, Preditors and Editors says it has received complaints that Dee Mura has not been responding to queries. It is not unusual to see some agents handle scripts or other media.
novellabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #22
williamfromkc
I'm keeping my day job

williamfromkc is on a distinguished road
And now more than 2 months later the website is still under construction. I think you might as well send your query by telepathy.
williamfromkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
Sean Corey

Sean Corey is on a distinguished road
It's the Story Stupid

Some of you people remind me of the losers that attended the proffesional writing classes at the U of W.

In regards to Dee Mura I used the phone number provided by Writers Market last friday and got the maid. Two days ago I fired back another try and Dee answered. I gave her the elevator pitch and in less than a minute she requested my complete manuscript.

That led me to this forum to look for complaints.

Not every agent and writer are a match.

Dee admitted to me her reply to query thing is scketchy.

Now if you losers don't have any more to add than you have been ignored I will send her my masnuscript.

Thanks,

Sean
Sean Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #24
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

Sean, please do keep us losers posted on what happens.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 08-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #25
Sean Corey

Sean Corey is on a distinguished road
Hey Vicki

Whatup?

You have to admit that getting ignored is a weak criticism.

I was fortunate to have a couple of instructors at the University of Washington take me under their wing. Teri and Dr. Robert Sprackland do my editing now. I was semi-joking about the loser thing. I'm sure most writers understand the work invoved in getting through to an agent even after the book has been written. Some do not.
Sean Corey is offline   Reply With Quote