Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #1
Bulletproof
live every week like it' shark week

Bulletproof is on a distinguished road
Experienced writer seeks writing buddy for awesomeness

Looking for a writing buddy and exchange partner. Ideally someone who is writing or is about to write a novel, who likes deadlines, is able to produce readable first drafts and is good at seeing big picture stuff. My previous buddy* and I settled into a nice system. We'd set a date and a goal (e.g., 10k in eight days). When the deadline arrived, we emailed our WIP, marked them up, then skyped/chatted about story direction, character, etc. We also checked in every few days with word count, problems etc. It worked very, very well.

Genres: Will happily read everything except religious stuff--I'd be terrible at that. If it's a genre I don't know well, I'll read up on it. I write literary and genre short stories and, so far, genre novels, both YA and adult. Also some... other stuff for adults.

What I suck at: Writing stories for no one in particular. Submitting anything (though I have good results when I do).
What I'm great at: Motivating people to write. Honest, useful feedback. I understand the mechanics of writing from the top down, and my ideal buddy will, too.

I'm really hoping for something long-term and don't mind waiting for the perfect fit.

PM or respond here if interested.

(*My previous buddy is now in grad school and while we still exchange some work, she can't finish multiple novels a year on top of everything else. Slacker, right?)
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Pyekett
Understood.

Pyekett has earned our admirationPyekett has earned our admirationPyekett has earned our admirationPyekett has earned our admiration
I am so tempted, as I think we'd be a great fit. But my other life demands I occasionally disappear for 4-8 weeks at a time, and I think you likely want something more regular than that.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
ecopper12
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ecopper12 is on a distinguished road
I'd love to help you out!

I'm writing a novel currently, and I think we'd be a great fit.

If you have an IM service (Preferably Skype) you can PM me for my screen name.
ecopper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
CJ.Wolfe
Close your eyes and jump

CJ.Wolfe is well-respected
I'd love to help out, especially since I'm looking for something like this as well.
I have issues with getting myself motivated or seeing if something is working. My inner critique just kinda gets me down and I really need a fresh pair of eyes who'll be firm but fair, and I'm happy to do the same. I'm currently at uni doing a Bachelor of Creative Writing - still in my first year.
If you haven't found anyone yet, I'd be willing to talk more to see if you're interesting in budding with me. I'm really eager to gain a long term buddy system as well.
Looking forward to hearing from you, and if you've already found someone, good luck
CJ.Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote