Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
phineas12gauge
practical experience, FTW

phineas12gauge is on a distinguished road
regarding description of a scene

I have a scene in my novel where a character gets popped in the eye with a steel pipe. I'm trying to add some little juicy bits of detail to describe what happens but am hitting a bit of a snag.

Here's an example:

"sharp little bone fragments punctured his sclera"

Would the general person know what a sclera is?

or would you keep it simple

"sharp little bone fragments bone fragments punctured his eyeball"
phineas12gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wouldn't think you would see bones.

Your flesh, blood and all the other soft things in your face would cover it up.

There would be blood, flesh and maybe showing bone. But I've never heard of eye-socket bone to puncture an eye.

The eye might smash in and just squirt like some sour grape. (Horror forum, I can get a little gross).

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
phineas12gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
I wouldn't think you would see bones.
You wouldn't see bones, that is correct ... I'm speaking more in terms of what could happen when an orbital bone shatters from the application of a steel pipe .

Can I use 3rd person omni to describe details of wounds/injuries that might not be directly visible to the naked eye?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Jcomp
"Upgrade your gray matter"- Deltron

Jcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJcomp is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think sclera is the right word. Can't speak for the general public, but I think many (most?) people reading the story who didn't know the word "sclera" would be able to figure out what it was based on what had happened. And 3rd person omni to describe details of the wound should be fine so long as it doesn't require a complete perspective shift in the middle of a paragraph or something.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I wouldn't know what a "sclera" is, and I'd hazard a guess that the average reader wouldn't either. When you're describing entrails and generally turning a character's features into mush, I find it's best to keep things simple. You want your readers to visualize the scene without having to look words up mid-splatter.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Feidb
Been Here A While

Feidb is well-respected
Simpler is better. Word economy and keep it at a sixth-grade level if whenever possible. Don't try to impress your reader with big words unless you define those words. That means extra narrative that usually slows things down, unless it's a key plot point.

Action/Adventure/Thriller
Icky Bug (Horror)
Fantasy (D&D plot driven)
Science Fiction Thriller

http://www.fredrayworth.com

Rejections as of Dec 31, 2010 = 659
Good icky bug is a monster that eats half the characters, they say f***k a lot, and there is gratuitous sex that has nothing to do with the plot! LOL.
Feidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
CalebJMalcom
And behold... A seed!

CalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalebJMalcom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I personally think you should use the word sclera. While I know what it is I also understand that some people would not and that would encourage some to look it up. Or in the least make a conjecture of what it is. It also has a better sound and feel for a horror description.

I don't like the idea of dumbing language down. You should write for your audience yes but if you look at word usage of say Lovecraft vs more modern writers his word choices are far greater and more diversified and in my opinion more beautiful. Also my vocabulary expanded due to authors throwing words I did not know into their books and they didn't explain them they treated their readers like intelligent creatures and just expected them to know and I appreciate those authors for that.

I have a +2 resistance to death but a -5 resistance to injury.

Writerly Blog
Tumblr Blog
Facebook
CalebJMalcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
acelticdream
Just me ... dreaming and writing.

acelticdream is on a distinguished road
I agree with Caleb - don't "dumb down" your writing. That isn't to say use "$20 words" in every paragraph either. But peppering them in throughout your novel just adds to the flavor. This is just my humble opinion as I enjoy text that uses stronger, more cerebral vocabulary from time to time.

In your example, I am going to assume that somewhere within the paragraph the eye will be mentioned so that the reader, who didn't necessarily know what "sclera" meant prior, would have a fair idea based on your surrounding imagery. Another words, don't let "sclera" be the ONLY mention of the eye/eyeball.
WIP #1: Man's Inner Beast |*| Murder Mystery |*| Word Count: 13,003 |*| W1S1 Novel Challenge
WIP #2: Untitled |*| Paranormal Erotica |*| Word Count: 4578
WIP #3: VIsions of the Unexpected |*| SciFi/Romance |*| Word Count: 20,000
WIP #4: Matched by Magic |*| Paranormal Romance |*| Word Count: 2000 |*| Camp NaNo 2012

acelticdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
phineas12gauge

Yes , there is context around that particular fragment so a reader should know its related to the eye

but I had a reader point out that it might not be the best word to use ... I'm still considering a better word
Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by phineas12gauge View Post
I have a scene in my novel where a character gets popped in the eye with a steel pipe. I'm trying to add some little juicy bits of detail to describe what happens but am hitting a bit of a snag.

Here's an example:

"sharp little bone fragments punctured his sclera"

Would the general person know what a sclera is?

or would you keep it simple

"sharp little bone fragments bone fragments punctured his eyeball"
I'm not familiar with the term sclera, but would probably accept it without question if I came across it because of the context.

If there's a problem with your example, in my opinion, it's because the description is bland and lacks sensory detail, and as written the words 'sharp' and 'little' only add clutter. But I appreciate that it's a small example from a longer piece, and we only see a snippet here.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote