MIssing Persons Found

Dawnbird

Dabbler
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a couple questions about the follow-up done once a person is found. In this case, the MC was found injured and removed to the hospital via ambulance. They were reported missing two days ago, signs of kidnapping. Local police are looking for them, but who's going to be notified among LE agencies? If he's found by a state trooper, how quickly are the officers investigating the kidnapping going to find out, and what will their first action be? I'm not positive they get found by a state trooper, but that's the plan right now if I can work this out.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Are they found in the general vacinity of where they went missing? Can they say who they are or do they have an ID on them? Is this in a small town or a large city (like NYC)? If they were awake, who would they give as the next of kin contact? If they're injured badly enough (or were given certain medications), some hospitals might not allow them to leave until the called a 'responsible person' to pick them up.

A missing person in a smaller town would be an oddity, so the hospital would probably be aware that the police were looking for them. I know, when something happens in my area, its passed all over facebook before I see it on the evening news. Many of my "friends" are also nurses, so if they had a matching person show up, they might let the hospital know to call the police.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the US, as soon as any law enforcement agency is notified that the missing subject is found (assuming a LE agency was not the finder) and the report is corroborated, the agency with original jurisdiction (who took the initial report) is contacted (usually by phone).

The lead detective (original agency) rescinds any and all BOLOs, Amber Alerts, etc., via NLETS and NCIC. Thus all LE agencies who were made aware that the person was missing are now notified of the recovery.

The recovered person will be interviewed as soon as possible, first by the recovering/finding agency, and eventually by the originating agency.

Press releases are prepared for the media and distributed as deemed appropriate and timely.

The investigation does not conclude until investigators and the appropriate prosecutorial authority deem no further investigation and subsequent court action is warranted.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
What Ironmike said.