Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
The Scribbler
figuring it all out

The Scribbler is on a distinguished road
[Agent] Valerie Smith

Anyone have any info on this agency? I have seen it a several lists for agencies that represent fantasy, but I cant seem ti find out anything about the agency. Thanks
http://www.amazon.com/
The Scribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Completely legitimate.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
The Scribbler
figuring it all out

thanks. Is there any way I can find out about clients or recent sales?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #4
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Val's clients include Madeline Robins, Sherwood Smith, Mary Frances Zambreno, and Steven Brust. I believe that Beth Bernobich, who sometimes posts here, is one of her clients.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
The Scribbler
figuring it all out

Thanks again. Since you seem to have the info, do you know what her submission guidelines are like?
Old 12-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

No, I don't know her guidelines. Standard query, I'd imagine.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Query letter, synopsis plus first 3 chapters according to another site
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:13 AM   #8
eqb
I write books

eqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
>>I believe that Beth Bernobich, who sometimes posts here, is
>> one of her clients.

I'm no longer a client, but yes, she is legitimate. Be aware that she tends to take a very (very) long time for replies.

Last edited by eqb; 11-13-2008 at 04:45 PM.
eqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
special needs
Resident Airhead

special needs has a spectacular auraspecial needs has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Bernobich
>>I believe that Beth Bernobich, who sometimes posts here, is
>> one of her clients.

I'm no longer a client, but yes, she is quite legitimate. Be aware that she tends to take a long time for replies.
The reason you are not still a client isn't something we should know about it, is it?
special needs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #10
eqb
I write books

eqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by special needs
The reason you are not still a client isn't something we should know about it, is it?
I'd say it boiled down to "things didn't work out." As with any other legit agent, some clients will find her the perfect agent, and some will not.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:57 PM   #11
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Valerie Smith also does not seem to respond to queries if she's not interested. Either that, or she's got a secret fetish for collecting airmail stamps on authors' SASEs.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 AM   #12
eqb
I write books

That's not unusual, actually. I'm now searching for a new agent, and I've seen quite a few guidelines that state the agent only responds if they are interested.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #13
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Val Smith is slow-moving, insightful, kind, maddening, extremely talented, not all that good at handling foreign rights, discreet, honest, funny, a tad forgetful, and has been at the heart of the whole Scribblies/Bordertown/Apanage/Ace/Tor/Firebird nexus of fantasy literature.

There's nothing wrong with Val that couldn't be cured by a clutch of house-elves with a knack for trafficking and filing.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:53 AM   #14
LloydBrown
practical experience, FTW

LloydBrown is a splendid one to beholdLloydBrown is a splendid one to beholdLloydBrown is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapiSofi
Val Smith is slow-moving, insightful, kind, maddening, extremely talented, not all that good at handling foreign rights, discreet, honest, funny, a tad forgetful, and has been at the heart of the whole Scribblies/Bordertown/Apanage/Ace/Tor/Firebird nexus of fantasy literature.

There's nothing wrong with Val that couldn't be cured by a clutch of house-elves with a knack for trafficking and filing.
I'm about 61% certain that's a recommendation...

LloydBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #15
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Manxom Vroom
Esteemed New Member

She's had my complete manuscript since the first week of April, and I'm waiting ever so patiently for a reply. In an odd sort of way, I find it comforting to know that she tends to be slow.
06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Beth Bernobich

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxom Vroom
She's had my complete manuscript since the first week of April, and I'm waiting ever so patiently for a reply. In an odd sort of way, I find it comforting to know that she tends to be slow.
Just to give you some data points. The first time I submitted to Val, she took eight months to reply with a rewrite request, then three months to pass on the revised manuscript. A couple years later I tried her with a new probject, and she only took two months to reply with a 'yes' to the full manuscript. This doesn't mean her response times are improving, only that you can never tell when she'll be quick or non-responsive.
Quote:
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Manxom Vroom
Esteemed New Member

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. As you were waiting did you ever give into the temptation to call and talk to her directly, to ask for an update? 8 months is a terribly long time to wait.
06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Beth Bernobich

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxom Vroom
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. As you were waiting did you ever give into the temptation to call and talk to her directly, to ask for an update? 8 months is a terribly long time to wait.
No. iirc, she emailed me once during that time period to apologize for taking so long and to ask for more time.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #16
Manxom Vroom
A proper fool

Manxom Vroom is on a distinguished road
I'm still waiting to hear back from her, and starting to think that if she had any real enthusiasm for my work, I would have heard something from her by now. To wait 8 months for a response, and then another 3 only to have your rewrite rejected...I'm just not sure that this is the kind of agent I want.

Manxom Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #17
Toni1953
practical experience, FTW

Toni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of lightToni1953 is a glorious beacon of light
Does anyone know if she handles YA fantasy?
Coming 2014 from Berkley Prime Crime: MEOW IF ITS MURDER
The First Nick & Nora Mystery!
Toni1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #18
eqb
I write books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni1953
Does anyone know if she handles YA fantasy?
Yes, she does.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
nicolesingslave
AW Addict

nicolesingslave is on a distinguished road
from this site http://www.katfeete.net/writing/agents.html: The agency has "a special interest in science fiction and fantasy."
2 out 2 rejects in litmatch: http://www.litmatch.net/Literary-Age...sp?agcy_id=851
her contact on QT: http://www.querytracker.net/agent.php?agent=1769
no $ on P&E, http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealv.htm
Some of her SF books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...literary+agent
nicolesingslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #20
eqb
I write books

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolesingslave View Post
Note that none of those books on Amazon were written by her, or sold by her.

Last edited by eqb; 08-09-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #21
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just FYI - one gets better results on Google Books, with the search string "agent [name]", with quotes. E.g., "agent valerie smith".
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:

Last edited by CaoPaux; 08-09-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: clarification
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #22
eqb
I write books

Just to keep things up to date... While this agent apparently still accepts queries, I would strongly advise *against* querying her. For details, feel free to PM me.