Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Women in Horror Month

So last night, some of us were kicking around the idea of a blog chain to celebrate Women in Horror Month. I love the idea, and didn't want it to sink into the labyrinthine miasma that is the Hounding After Hours thread, so I took the liberty of starting a separate one. Hope that's groovy with everybody.

Not sure exactly what the plan is--do we want to have a theme for individual blog posts? Perhaps a Top Ten type list for our favorite female authors of horror and dark fantasy? Reading recommendations?

I had been planning a blog post already, discussing what appeals to me about horror despite its perceived status as a male-dominated genre, and I've put that up here.

So who else has thoughts?

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No ideas yet. I hope it doesn't take me all dang month to think of something. I'm posting here so that it holds me accountable.

I like the idea of recommended reads.
soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Woohoo!

I'm toying with the idea of requesting an official seal, although I'm not sure how that will work for a blog chain.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I hope they don't mind me using it unofficially here.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

True enough…

Okay, had another possible blog theme idea: the roles of female characters in our stories. This is sort of inspired by this thread, but with the focus on horror stories. Who are the women in our writings? What sort of jobs do they have? What are their relationships like? Stuff like that.

Also--it is possible to create a community on LiveJournal for multiple parties to post, but I'm not really keen on that because I think most of the Hounds are on Blogger or WordPress.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
dgrintalis
'Tis true, she is a monstergirl

dgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I requested an official seal, although I don't know if having a novel released many months down the road will make me eligible.

I think this blog chain idea is fabulous! I blogged today with links to some of my favorite female horror authors and a few of them are going to write guest posts. But my blog is open for more!

INK on Goodreads
INK on Amazon

A tattoo can be a work of art…or a curse.

Out now in trade paperback and ebook from Samhain Horror.

Coming in Spring 2014: An as yet untitled collection of short fiction from Apex Publications.
dgrintalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
PEBKAC
only knows enough to be dangerous

PEBKAC has a spectacular aura
I love women and I love horror. This is going to be great!
Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm in.

How do you want to run it, Rhoda? Should we all paste links to our posts in this thread? Or?
dolores haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Thump
defying grabbity

Thump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolness
Do we have to be published to participate? I'm a woman who reads and writes horror but with no pubs yet... But I find this idea interesting because it's true that there seems to be a break where there is Dark Romance aka horror for chicks and then real horror by and for men. I think we need to raise awareness that we don't all want Romance with hot-spooky elements only
I'd say the main lesson to take from Stephen King's working life is: He's never stopped working. He's written sober. He's written drunk. He's written while recovering from horrendous injuries. He's written while working maggotty laundry jobs. He's written on long after he could have snuggled down into his royalties for the rest of his life.

Damn good lesson, that.
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
Do we have to be published to participate?
No, I don't think that has anything to do with it. If you write/read/love horror and have something to say about women in horror, then go for it! You don't even have to be a woman to participate.

Quote:
I'm a woman who reads and writes horror but with no pubs yet... But I find this idea interesting because it's true that there seems to be a break where there is Dark Romance aka horror for chicks and then real horror by and for men. I think we need to raise awareness that we don't all want Romance with hot-spooky elements only
Or that you can't somehow read/write both, right? This is something that I keep running into. I'd love to see your take on that, Thump.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

@dolores: That's a good idea--posting links here. It'd be a good way to keep track, and we could--if this is agreeable to everyone--repost other entries to own blogs, sort of like what we did with the Horror Pimps. (Just for the record, the only reason I've been inactive lately is FaceBook being disagreeable.)

@Thump: Publication is definitely not a prerequisite. In fact, speaking from a reader's perspective is a kind of cool idea--putting the idea forward that the market is out there for horror with strong female characters, and not just dark romance.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
BriMaresh
New kid, be gentle!

BriMaresh has a double-platinum reputationBriMaresh has a double-platinum reputationBriMaresh has a double-platinum reputationBriMaresh has a double-platinum reputationBriMaresh has a double-platinum reputationBriMaresh has a double-platinum reputationBriMaresh has a double-platinum reputation
Hey, I'm game - I'm looking at a few topics, but I'm not sure how it's going to go. I love the idea of writing about women in horror, but there is so much I could say (and have, before, I suppose, somewhere). If we are doing a chain, do we just append a link to all the other posts in the chain at the bottom of our post, or...?

DOPPELGANGERS AND DEATH OMENS(0/80k) (planning)

BriMaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was so nice to see this thread! Shannon Lark, from the board of directors, is a friend of mine. Last year, I was a special guest at the Women In Horror charity clothing drive at Dark Delicacies book store. Here is an article about the event from Dread Central:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/425...ark-delicacies

Not doing much this year, because I'm semi-retired!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
night-flyer
One cow, two cows, three...

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I would join you women in this, but I'm really new at the whole blog thing. I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing on it. More or less try to figure out a chain.

Maybe next year, by then I might have it figured out.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

night-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-flyer View Post
I would join you women in this, but I'm really new at the whole blog thing. I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing on it. More or less try to figure out a chain.

Maybe next year, by then I might have it figured out.
You can do it, Night. It's not hard. And you have ALL month. There's even an extra day this year.

I have mine planned out, I just have to write it. Nothing complicated or...deep or anything. Just a few of my recommended reads.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #16
night-flyer

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is everybody doing something different in their blogs?

Quote:
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't figured out what I'm doing yet. It'll be something to do with women in horror, that's all I'm sure of. *grin* After my post I'm going to link back to all the links posted in this thread, then update as new ones are added.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #18
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Is everybody doing something different in their blogs?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolores haze View Post
After my post I'm going to link back to all the links posted in this thread, then update as new ones are added.
Me too.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
night-flyer

link back to all links.........what?

Okay, so I post something up about women in horror, of course, in my blog and then put a link in here to it. right?

Quote:

Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

@Celia: Thanks for the link! I'll share that on my blog next time I update.

@night: I don't think there's any specific theme as to what we're supposed to write about. Soap's doing reading recommendations; at the top of the page, I linked one with my thoughts on horror on what interests me about it, as a woman. I'm going to do a couple of book reviews later on, probably. You can write whatever you want. No rules, no pressure. Just something about women and horror.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #21
dolores haze
ageing savage

Quote:
link back to all links.........what?

Okay, so I post something up about women in horror, of course, in my blog and then put a link in here to it. right?
Did I confuse you? Sorry. I will add all the links from this thread to my post on my blog.

Yep, you got it!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #22
night-flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
@Celia: Thanks for the link! I'll share that on my blog next time I update.

@night: I don't think there's any specific theme as to what we're supposed to write about. Soap's doing reading recommendations; at the top of the page, I linked one with my thoughts on horror on what interests me about it, as a woman. I'm going to do a couple of book reviews later on, probably. You can write whatever you want. No rules, no pressure. Just something about women and horror.
Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolores haze View Post
Did I confuse you? Sorry. I will add all the links from this thread to my post on my blog.

Yep, you got it!
It's okay, I confuse easily. lol. But I understand that. Okay, I guess I'm in, then.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
night-flyer

Hey, would someone look at my blog and see if that looks alright or if someone has already planned on doing that?

I wanted to do a slideshow with different women authors in horror or their books, but couldn't get it to do that.

Is it okay to use an article from somewhere if I give them the credit?

Quote:

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Looks good to me! I like your first entry--Sarah Langan is in my TBR pile for this month too.

One thing: the comment post box is way dark. I can't see where I'm supposed to type.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #25
night-flyer

Not sure why...when I hit comments that box that opens to type in is white...I changed it up a bit, though. See if that's better. Thanks, Rhoda.

Quote: