Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
capaloha
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

capaloha is on a distinguished road
The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House (TWCS)

Does anyone have any experience with The Writer's Coffee Shop Publishing House?

http://www.thewriterscoffeeshop.com/publishinghouse/

What about the community called The Writer's Coffee Shop?

Many thanks,

capaloha
capaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
Experience, no. Although I will check out their site now that you've posted it.

Questions for you:

1) What drew them to your attention? Have you read any of their books or did someone else talk to you about them?

2) Are you asking generically or do you intend to submit (have you already submitted to them)?
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
capaloha

A member of their staff (attending the Texas Book Festival) asked me if I would like to submit my novel for consideration.

The business model described to me is an author to publishing house model, where flat rate royalties are paid to the author with editing services and graphic design services provided by the publishing house. I'm not sure as to the extent of marketing services.

I'm new to the query process and am researching agents.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
Swtlo

Swtlo is on a distinguished road
Its definitely an interesting page. New house, less than a year. Self report 44 titles published and to be published. They skip the agent part all together. I havnt been able to find any resume info on their ceo or founding members but they are australia based and according to their calendar rely very heavily on internet advertising (blog interviews). Heavy ebook advertising,contest giveaways and also have their best selling authors in on writing confrences. My sparse and quick internet research has found nothing good or bad. They do boast a library where anyone can upload a stroy and I did find a blurd that they will be looking for beta readers soon for their books they want to publish. I did do a search on the ceo on the forum and no hits- amanda hayward.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
Gave the web site a quick going over.

On the plus side, it definitely seems to be pointed at readers, not writers. This is a good sign. At least they're trying to promote and sell books from the initial moment a viewer pulls up the web page.

On the negative side, no about us page. There's no easy way to see what the qualifications are of any of the staff. No credits for the publisher, editors or cover designers.

On the not mandatory, but nice to have side - no sample contract. It's not a show stopper, but it's always nice to know what the author who may consider pitching to them is getting into. Especially useful for applying to a small-mid press.

All in all, it seems to be a nicely laid out web site that tries to sell books. Unfortunately, that's exactly ALL I know about them. I've never heard of this publisher before and I'm not sure what they do for promotion or distribution. If I wasn't able to sell my novel to a publisher that I knew could get my book into bookstores and give me an advance, it might be a nice alternative.

However, as Uncle Jim says, "A book publishable by one is publishable by many. Start at the top and work your way down."
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Daddyo
been around a while

Daddyo has a spectacular auraDaddyo has a spectacular aura
Their paperback titles on Amazon are priced in the $25 range. That seems like a tough sell to me.
Blog
RIVER BOTTOM BLUES--now available @ the usual suspects, my website/blog and Barking Rain Press
THE DEVIL'S BLUES--Ditto.
HOWLING MOUNTAIN BLUES--Due out early 2015
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Do I see a fanfiction page on that site? It looks like a lot of 'Twilight' stories written by fans.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
capaloha

Many thanks to all for the replies and advice. It's always good to have more eyeballs considering the possibilities.

Take care...

capaloha
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
ShyWriter
figuring it all out

ShyWriter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksen View Post
Do I see a fanfiction page on that site? It looks like a lot of 'Twilight' stories written by fans.
Your eyes do not decieve you. They also have some Harry Potter and Supernatural stuff, along with some original stories as well. As an avid fanfiction reader this is one of the pages I have bookmarked - never read a book by them though.
ShyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicatePrincess View Post
Your eyes do not decieve you. They also have some Harry Potter and Supernatural stuff, along with some original stories as well. As an avid fanfiction reader this is one of the pages I have bookmarked - never read a book by them though.
A publisher's website has a fanfiction area? If the publisher is happy to support fanfiction, it calls into question the publisher's knowledge, understanding and respect of the copyright laws which protect us all.

I'm very concerned by this.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Updating link: http://ph.thewriterscoffeeshop.com/
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
A publisher's website has a fanfiction area? If the publisher is happy to support fanfiction, it calls into question the publisher's knowledge, understanding and respect of the copyright laws which protect us all.

Fifty Shades of Grey was published by them and has come until scrutiny. Apparently it is a Twilight fanfic with the numbers filed off.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That said, it was also wildly successful on Goodreads.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post

Is the fanfiction area still there? Because I didn't see it.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
eternalised
practical experience, FTW

eternalised has a spectacular auraeternalised has a spectacular aura
You can see the fanfiction if you click on the "Library" tab (next to the "Publishing House" tab). Here's a link. Also, they definitely need to check their forums - it seems as if some spammer posted several topics involving 'adult webcams'.

I'm a bit confused about having fanfiction, a forum and a publishing house all in the same place. If they wanted all three, couldn't they have refrained from linking to all three at the same website? I mean, the fanfiction website is nice and fun for fanfic authors, but it has little or nothing to do with their publishing house - at least, I hope not!

From their submission page:
Science Fiction: We are accepting submissions for Science Fiction with a word count of 100,000 to 120,000.

Isn't that a bit...long? Even for scifi? Not that it says anything about the publisher, I'm just curious.

I'm not impressed by their covers, nor by their 'about us' page. If I were thinking of submitting to them, I would like to know more about them first, as in, who they are, what their experience is, etc.
eternalised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalised View Post
If I were thinking of submitting to them, I would like to know more about them first, as in, who they are, what their experience is, etc.
The fanfiction thing is what worries me the most about this place.

Twitter
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #17
FoamyRules
Hamtaro Rules

FoamyRules is on a distinguished road
Well looking at this from a web designer's POV the site is very professional looking, so I'd give them an A for that. As a publishing house not so sure. It does seem odd to have a fanfiction site and a publishing house linked from the site. But I'm not an expert on that.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #18
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Romantic Fiction Series: We are accepting submissions for our Romantic Fiction Series with a word count of 50,000 to 80,000. Please visit our Romantic Fiction Series page to learn more.
Science Fiction: We are accepting submissions for Science Fiction with a word count of 100,000 to 120,000.
Thriller Fiction: We are accepting submissions for Thriller Fiction with a word count of 60,000 to 90,000.
Young Adult Fiction: We are accepting submissions for Young Adult Fiction with a word count of 55,000 to 85,000.
All Other Fiction: We are accepting submissions for all other forms of fiction with a word count of 60,000 to 120,000.

Wow. They have really high word count length for their submissions.

Twitter
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
Wow. They have really high word count length for their submissions.
Those don't look high to me. I'm surprised scifi doesn't start a little lower, but their ranges in general look normal (from what I've seen, anyway).

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Tifferbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #20
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifferbugz View Post
Those don't look high to me. I'm surprised scifi doesn't start a little lower, but their ranges in general look normal (from what I've seen, anyway).
Really? I've seen 15,000 - 20,000 as the minimum a lot of the time. Sometimes 30,000, and sometimes they'll be taking short stories. I don't know. I was looking at erotica publishers; maybe that had something to do with it?

Twitter
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #21
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
Really? I've seen 15,000 - 20,000 as the minimum a lot of the time. Sometimes 30,000, and sometimes they'll be taking short stories. I don't know. I was looking at erotica publishers; maybe that had something to do with it?
Yeah those are novel-length word counts. The pub might only take novel-length subs. The lower range fall into novella or novelette territory. The 20-30k range you mention is novella-length.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Tifferbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #22
SophieSchiller

SophieSchiller is on a distinguished road
Beware of Signing Contracts with Foreigners

The Writer's Coffee Schop is an Australian outfit and any international banker/businessman worth his grain of salt will tell you to refrain from entering into contracts with foreigners as it's impossible to sue them or resolve disputes in a way that doesn't drain your wallet. If the deal goes sour, you're on your own and out of luck.
SophieSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #23
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's news to me. And as a genre writer I sure am not going to limit myself to the New Zealand market. I am going to submit to the most stable, best selling, appropriate publisher for my manuscript.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #24
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSchiller View Post
The Writer's Coffee Schop is an Australian outfit and any international banker/businessman worth his grain of salt will tell you to refrain from entering into contracts with foreigners as it's impossible to sue them or resolve disputes in a way that doesn't drain your wallet. If the deal goes sour, you're on your own and out of luck.

Wow, I guess I should cancel my contracts with HarperUK, J'ai Lu in France, Egmont Lyx in Germany, Amber Publishing in Poland, and my publisher in the Czech Republic (whose name I'm embarrassed to admit I've forgotten at the moment).

(ETA: This is not meant to be an endorsement of Writer's Coffee Shop.)

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
SophieSchiller:
any international banker/businessman worth his grain of salt will tell you to refrain from entering into contracts with foreigners as it's impossible to sue them or resolve disputes in a way that doesn't drain your wallet
No they won't. International businessmen and bankers do deals with "foreigners" all the time. That's what makes them international.

It is perfectly possible to sue any company based in a country that's signatory to the New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards 1958 as that country is obliged to give due weight to enforcement proceedings so that a court judgment in one country can be enforced in another. The issue is that the process for enforcement usually entails additional legal costs (to a greater or lesser extent), but these can usually be recouped through the enforcement order.

Alternatively, if you're based in an EU country, then you can rely on EC Council Regulations on the Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters.

MM
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote