Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
PA's Special Offers aka But I thought they wanted my book, not my money ...

M'kay, with so many eyes on PA's site these days, I've been keeping only half of one on it myself, so ... OMG, their "Book Store" page, which is obviously a compendium of all their Special Offers: http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

$69 for your book(s) on an USB drive?!
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, but you get a *~~~*SPECIAL*~~~* USB drive with the PA logo on it!

Four of them.

72.99 w/shipping.

Hm. Walmart sells a 2GB drive for just 5.88 and it has better color options. You can get 12 for the PA price.
Gillhoughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Don Davidson
Theophilus

Don Davidson has a spectacular auraDon Davidson has a spectacular aura
More evidence that "We want your book, not your money" is horse-poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
M'kay, with so many eyes on PA's site these days, I've been keeping only half of one on it myself, so ... OMG, their "Book Store" page, which is obviously a compendium of all their Special Offers: http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

$69 for your book(s) on an USB drive?!
Wow! Anyone who really believes that silly slogan, "We want your book, not your money," should view this page. (I think I'll put it on the PA page of my web site.) It's a quick summary of many of the ingenious ways PA has devised to try to get into the author's hip-pocket.

And did you notice that if your want your book rights "returned," the price is $149, but if you just want your book rights "reverted," the price is only $99. Huh?

Don't give your book, or your money, to America Star Books (formerly PublishAmerica) until you know the truth. Follow this link to read actual documents written by America Star Books/PublishAmerica that show conclusively what they are, and what they are not: http://christianityforthinkers.com/PublishAmerica.html.
Don Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What's the difference between "reverting rights" and "returning rights" other than $50?

Folks, read the "Congratulations" product for $19.95. It took me a while to figure out what they were doing: if you buy 19 or more books, you get them for "50% off a price of $19.95" instead of the list price. Eh? Why not just say "for $9.98"? Why word it so wonky? However, it's listed as a product for $19.95 instead of whatever 19 books will cost. Incidentally, my dad tried to get an introductory rate for his next book from PA and they refused. It seems they don't even know what services they offer.

And what's a QR barcode (see smartCode product and smartCover)?

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
AlexPiper
Wayward Wordsmith

Location: Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caffeine
AlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admirationAlexPiper has earned our admiration
QR barcodes are those odd-looking square codes you see around more and more; unlike standard UPC type barcodes, which only contain a short string, QR codes are meant to hold longer strings. They can hold phone numbers, e-mail addresses, or -- most often -- URLs. Most smartphones have bar-code-scanner apps that can read them, so if you scan a QR code, you can bip to an associated website easily.

For instance, here is a QR code that contains a link to the Water Cooler here:

...if you scan that with a QR reader app on an iPhone or Android phone, it will say 'URL found!' and offer to bring you right to the Absolute Write forum. These sort of codes are often used in advertising (scan the code on the bus-station poster) or other printed things; the 'Google Places' stickers a store can get contain a QR code for that store's Places entry, so you can walk past a window, scan the code, and read reviews (or review it yourself).

Presumably what PA is offering is to create a QR code for the writer's website and stick it on the cover. Since there are plenty of free QR generators out there (like the one I used to generate the AWWC link above), and it takes all of 30 seconds to generate a QR code, charging for this seems a little ridiculous. (But, well... this is PA...)

Piper's Pocket Muse (Tumblr) | Twitter
AlexPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Chris P

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks Alex! I figured that's what they meant, but your explanation of what it does is helpful. I can see how they'd be useful, and although getting one for cheap and easy is simple, getting PA to put one on your cover is something they'd charge for (of course).

Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #7
Sepisllib
Truth, gentle or not!

Sepisllib is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Davidson View Post
Wow! Anyone who really believes that silly slogan, "We want your book, not your money," should view this page. (I think I'll put it on the PA page of my web site.) It's a quick summary of many of the ingenious ways PA has devised to try to get into the author's hip-pocket.

And did you notice that if your want your book rights "returned," the price is $149, but if you just want your book rights "reverted," the price is only $99. Huh?
Might want some "expert" input on this one, however from my understanding the word "revert" means to return as in original condition and "return" means to just give it back - not mentioning condition......

Thoughts?

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Chris P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Might want some "expert" input on this one, however from my understanding the word "revert" means to return as in original condition and "return" means to just give it back - not mentioning condition......

Thoughts?
Functionally, I'm not sure there is a difference; it's not that PA keeps some rights under the $99 option that it doesn't keep under the $149 version. But there are more informed folks than I who can answer that better.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

CatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthood
Or they simply screwed up with all their bogus offers and price changes.
I doubt anyone there knows the difference between "revert" and "return," or cares.

They just want your money.

How PA treats its authors: Oh, stop the whining and contact support@publishamerica.com like everyone else.

PA authors CAN fight back. File a complaint with your credit card company.

Have a question? Who can you trust? Absolute Write, Writer Beware and Preditors & Editors
CatSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
Don Davidson
Theophilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSlave View Post
Or they simply screwed up with all their bogus offers and price changes.
I doubt anyone there knows the difference between "revert" and "return," or cares.

They just want your money.
I think you are probably correct. If there's a difference, I don't know what it would be. And if you click on each, the explanations of what you are purchasing appear to be identical. PA made me the $99 offer some months back, and then recently extended the $149 offer, so I suspect they added the latter to the bookstore page and forgot to remove the former.

Don't give your book, or your money, to America Star Books (formerly PublishAmerica) until you know the truth. Follow this link to read actual documents written by America Star Books/PublishAmerica that show conclusively what they are, and what they are not: http://christianityforthinkers.com/PublishAmerica.html.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
allenparker
Naked Futon Guy

allenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
What's the difference between "reverting rights" and "returning rights" other than $50?

Folks, read the "Congratulations" product for $19.95. It took me a while to figure out what they were doing: if you buy 19 or more books, you get them for "50% off a price of $19.95" instead of the list price. Eh? Why not just say "for $9.98"? Why word it so wonky? However, it's listed as a product for $19.95 instead of whatever 19 books will cost. Incidentally, my dad tried to get an introductory rate for his next book from PA and they refused. It seems they don't even know what services they offer.

And what's a QR barcode (see smartCode product and smartCover)?

This is easy to understand if you think like PA. First, you want to sell the authors books before they realize their books are overpriced. So, here is the plan.

First, offer the book to the author while he is still reeling form actually getting an offer. Second, get the check before they realize they were scammed. Third, and most important, sell the books without tell the author what the real price of the book will be. Offer it at 19.95 instead of the 30 bucks coming later.

Good work if you can get it.

Allen

allenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #12
Don Davidson
Theophilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenparker View Post
This is easy to understand if you think like PA. First, you want to sell the authors books before they realize their books are overpriced. So, here is the plan.

First, offer the book to the author while he is still reeling form actually getting an offer. Second, get the check before they realize they were scammed. Third, and most important, sell the books without tell the author what the real price of the book will be. Offer it at 19.95 instead of the 30 bucks coming later.

Good work if you can get it.

Allen
Like any good con artist, PA tries to get your money before you realize you've been scammed. PA started sending me their infamous "books on hand" solicitation emails about six weeks after "accepting" my book for publication, and nearly four months before my book was "released"--and thus, well before I had seen my book in print. Fortunately, I was already wise to them by then, thanks in no small part to web sites such as this one. So they never got any of my money.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

CatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthood
Bottom of the page are the newest offers.

http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

The bookstore has added the Library of Scotland to the scam offers at the bottom of the page, in addition to:

Only 49.00, convert your book to an e-book

Also note that PA has just lowered the e-book price to 7.95.
It must be a coincidence, hmmm?

How PA treats its authors: Oh, stop the whining and contact support@publishamerica.com like everyone else.

Have a question? Who can you trust? Absolute Write, Writer Beware and Preditors & Editors
Old 08-23-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

thrEbook by
We will convert your book to all three formats at a deep discount. Your e-book's retail price will be $7.95, indefinitely.

If you only want a conversion to Amazon's Kindle, go to www.publishamerica.net/OneOnly.html, for $49. If instead you want the conversion done to Barnes and Noble's Nook, or to a Google e-book, say so in the Ordering Instructions box. Without such indication we will assume you want a Kindle conversion.

We convert books to e-books fast. If there's a delay, it's because it may take Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Google a while to process new e-book uploads, though generally a new e-book will show up within a few weeks or sooner.

Must select a shipping option to activate. No use of coupons allowed. Mention your book title.

ISBN: thrEbook, ,

Buy $79.00

Old 08-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #15
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

29.00, or priority rush 39.00

Library Of Scotland by
We will make a convincing case to the National Library of Scotland that their collection of American literature is incomplete without your book.

etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #16
PVish
Cat hair collector

PVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolness
Hmm. If PA were to send a book to my county library, it would go straight to the library's book sale, where it would be marked for 50 cents. Wonder if the Library of Scotland does something similar?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #17
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

For 39.00 your book will not be read at the Library of Scotland either.

*I did not catch the earlier price reduction of hardback books.*

Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #18
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So they have to pay $49 for EACH format?

Oh my god. AND they have to select a shipping option on a product that's not actually shipped?

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Christine N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #19
Marie Pacha
Still a work in progress

Marie Pacha is a glorious beacon of lightMarie Pacha is a glorious beacon of light
"indefinitely" In other words, they can raise the price any time they want.

I had a novella published in July by a very small press. It took less than a week for it to show as available on Amazon, and I didn't pay the publisher anything to get it in ebook format.
Marie Pacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #20
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

PA's Special Offers aka But I thought they wanted my book, not my money ...

http://www.publishamerica.net/online_bookstore.html

Translation 199.00
3 Translations 499.00

Talent, your own publicist in Europe 29.00

"...we will include your book in a very special
full-color" presentation that we'll hand out to anyone at the Munich convention who will give us any time between five seconds and an hour!"

and several Talent variations for 39.00, 69.00 and 79.00

Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #21
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSlave View Post

Translation 199.00
WHAT? The...

What are they doing with these, running them through a computer translation program?

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #22
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What else at that price?

Of course there's no reason to believe they're telling the truth about that any more than about handing books and fan mail over JKR.

I'm having doubts that any of their writers even took them up on that daft scheme.
Gillhoughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
Queen of Swords
starting over

Queen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
WHAT? The...

What are they doing with these, running them through a computer translation program?
One of the disillusioned PA authors paid for her book to be translated into Arabic. I imagine PA would have run it through Babelfish, if they bothered doing anything at all for her money.

I blog and Tweet
Queen of Swords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #24
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lookout janitors, concession stand workers, parking lot attendants, etc. You are about to have a PA representative hand you a full-color press release and talk your ear off for "five seconds or an hour" about how wonderful PA is.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

I'm picturing someone walking around Munich wearing a sandwich-board, handing out flyers.

Willem in lederhosen....
*Shudder*