Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Art & Design > Designing Book Covers
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Meira
Informant X03981

Meira is a shiny, shiny jewelMeira is a shiny, shiny jewel
Gale Haut Is Brilliant - Final Nine-Tenths Cover

For those of you who have nurtured me through a gazillion remakes of the photo-shopped cover for my dystopian science fiction, Nine-Tenths, here is good news.

I hooked up with AW's own Gale Haut, a professional graphic designer, and he started from scratch. Here is his brilliant design:

(Removed red fillers in name)

Sarah and the Magic Mayonnaise Jar
cover design by Gale Haut

Firefly Beach
cover artwork by Amy Feiman

Last edited by Meira; 08-06-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Updated Cover
Meira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Nexus
Evolute

Nexus has a spectacular aura
This is nifty. Simple and clean. Beautiful design. The one thing I do not like is the red color filler in some of the letters of your author name.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Meira, I was coming on here to look at a short story and saw this before I saw your email. For a second I thought the title was a sarcastic blow about my line edits. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
The one thing I do not like is the red color filler in some of the letters of your author name.
Glad to see feedback. I would remove it with a click of a button if Meira decides she doesn't want it. It gives a nice color balance with the red but I could easily come up with something more sophisticated if need be. It is entirely up to her.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #4
SilverBirch
I really should be writing

SilverBirch is a shiny, shiny jewelSilverBirch is a shiny, shiny jewel
*slinks into thread* If we're having an open vote I say keep the red - it provides a nice contrast to the strong blue and white. Otherwise... Either way, nice work Gale! *slinks away*

Kathryn McKade
blog ~ twitter

LAST NIGHT IN GHOSTTOWN ~ Eggplant Literary Productions
a m/m sci-fi retelling of Oscar Wilde's "The Happy Prince"

Visit my alter ego at DeviantArt
SilverBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #5
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Makes me think of communist America.

Are the edges around the symbol meant to be kinda jaggy? Or is that just an issue with the pic's format? Looks good, though.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I believe the image was enlarged from a smaller one. Probably better not to post a higher resolution as to not slow down page loads for ppl.

Here are links to *slightly* better renderings of the image at 400x600p .... Color & Grayscale

Last edited by Gale Haut; 08-06-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Gale Haut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
Darkshore
Stranger

Darkshore has a spectacular auraDarkshore has a spectacular aura
I'm a fan of the Grayscale one myself.
Darkshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Meira
Informant X03981

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon6000 View Post
Makes me think of communist America.
perfect!

Quote:
Are the edges around the symbol meant to be kinda jaggy? Or is that just an issue with the pic's format? Looks good, though.
No, it's just a resizing issue.

Firefly Beach
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
Meira
Informant X03981

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBirch View Post
*slinks into thread* If we're having an open vote I say keep the red - it provides a nice contrast to the strong blue and white. Otherwise... Either way, nice work Gale! *slinks away*
I like the red, too

Firefly Beach
Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #10
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That is amazing. The symbol has a chilling effect. The colors are extremely well matched, and the black-filled stars from the US flag add an deeper level of meaning. I'd pick this book up.

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
Meira
Informant X03981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post
Meira, I was coming on here to look at a short story and saw this before I saw your email. For a second I thought the title was a sarcastic blow about my line edits. LOL
LOL! That would have made for a lousy Friday. A whole thread dedicated to insulting you.

Firefly Beach
Old 08-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #12
Meira
Informant X03981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
This is nifty. Simple and clean. Beautiful design. The one thing I do not like is the red color filler in some of the letters of your author name.
It's so cool

I like the red since there is very little red to begin with. Maybe it will grow on you

Firefly Beach
Old 08-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
Meira
Informant X03981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
That is amazing. The symbol has a chilling effect.
It is brilliant, isn't it? He came up with this totally on his own, reading a few excerpts from my book.

Quote:
The colors are extremely well matched, and the black-filled stars from the US flag add an deeper level of meaning. I'd pick this book up.
Yes!

Firefly Beach
Old 08-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is nice, it shouts thriller and give hints as to the themes. Very professional, very cleverly designed.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #15
Nexus
Evolute

Nexus has a spectacular aura
Don't get me wrong. I love the red outline and the red text. It was just the red filler in the closed in areas of letters like "p", "R", "a" etc.

Very minor nitpick because the color fills in letters remind me of my Paint program attempts and bring back bad memories. I would still pick this book up.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:07 AM   #16
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Will probably move this thread to Self-Pub/POD Covers unless anyone has any objections?

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”

Also on Amazon
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #17
shelleyo
Just another face in a red jumpsuit

shelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputation
That looks great, and transfers well to a thumbnail size--it's still very eye-catching when it's small, which is important.

Very nice!

Shelley
Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 AM   #18
Meira
Informant X03981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
Will probably move this thread to Self-Pub/POD Covers unless anyone has any objections?

-Derek
I don't mind. It was just that I originally had Sci-Fi fans voting on cover ideas in this section. Whatever you think is best.

Firefly Beach
Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ta! Moved, leaving a redirect link in Sci-Fi/Fantasy SYW forum, so folks there can easily follow the thread to Self-Pub/POD Covers. Members who read both forums get to admire!

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”

Also on Amazon
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Chief Engineer Tholomew: Cap'n! The worm-hole stabilized!

Captain "Dee" Patters: What? Impossible. Gayle, scan it. Give me a rundown.

Chief Science Officer Gayle
: Aye captain!

Tholomew: You don't needta bloody scan it; I saw it with my own two eyes! We went through and it stayed open!

Gayle: He appears to be... right, captain. I can't explain it, yet, but the worm hole is definitely staying open. And sensors are picking up a lot of bleed.

Patters: What kind of bleed?

Gayle: Unicorns. Mummies. Angsty teen goblins. Anything you'd see
from the spec fic universe--it's all pouring into reality.

Patters: Yellow alert! Gayle, find out what's making it tick. The sooner you do, the sooner we can seal off the hole. Tholomew, can you come up with a way to force the bleed to cluster?

Tholomew: I don't follow, sir.

Patters: Like dropping a magnet into a bowl of iron ball bearings; a way to keep them from rolling around.

Tholomew: I don't think so, sir. Not unless I could somehow shunt part of the wormhole into P&CE. We'd only get visuals, but nothing can resist staring in awe of a political flame war. I--yes. Yes, I can do that. It's easy. A photon torpedo rigged with anti-matter tachyons, with the right coordinates and a little bit of luck, should be able to do what you're suggesting.

Patters: Just make it happen.

Before Tholomew can leave, the forum shakes, throwing everyone dramatically to the floor and killing six people in red shirts.

Patters: Report!

Chief Security Officer Mei Ra
: It's a critter sir. We're being critiqued.

Patters: All hands to battle stations! This is not a drill!

To be continued?

Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
Purple Rose
practical experience, FTW

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Like it, like it!! It is an arresting cover. You struck gold with Gale, obviously. I wouldn't change a thing. The red is effective, it works well. All the best!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nice and stark and evocative.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #23
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

You know, a little exposition doesn't kill anyone. And, yes, you can do it while starting in the action. I don't care what they say.

Captain "Dee" Patters: What? Impossible. Gayle, scan it. Give me a rundown, Sir!

Chief Science Officer Admiral Gayle: Aye captain!

Tholomew:
You don't needta bloody scan it; I saw it with my own two eyes! We went through and it stayed open!

I'm seeing this Tholomew character as expendable. You might want to kill him off to add to the tension.

Gayle: He appears to be I am... right, captain of course. I can't explain it, yet, but the worm hole is definitely staying open. And sensors are picking up a lot of bleed.

Patters: Yellow alert! Gayle, can you please find out what's making it tick. The sooner you do, the sooner we can seal off the hole. Tholomew, can you come up with a way to force the bleed to cluster?

(Tholomew stabbed by wanton unicorn, here.)

Patters: Like dropping a magnet into a bowl of iron ball bearings; a way to keep them from rolling around.

Tholomew: I don't think so, sir. Not unless I could somehow shunt part of the wormhole into P&CE. We'd only get visuals, but nothing can resist staring in awe of a political flame war. I--yes. Yes, I can do that. It's easy. A photon torpedo rigged with anti-matter tachyons, with the right coordinates and a little bit of luck, should be able to do what you're suggesting.

Patters: Just make it happen. Save us, Gale!

Before Tholomew can leave, the forum shakes, throwing everyone dramatically to the floor and killing six people in red shirts. What a random detail...

Chief Security Officer Mei Ra: It's a critter sir. We're being critiqued.

To be continued?

That's jsut silly and reallly? A cliff-hanger. I really think you need to...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #24
Meira
Informant X03981

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaterso View Post
Ta! Moved, leaving a redirect link in Sci-Fi/Fantasy SYW forum, so folks there can easily follow the thread to Self-Pub/POD Covers. Members who read both forums get to admire!

-Derek
Thanks

Firefly Beach
Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post

You know, a little exposition doesn't kill anyone. And, yes, you can do it while starting in the action. I don't care what they say.

Captain "Dee" Patters: What? Impossible. Gayle, scan it. Give me a rundown, Sir!

Chief Science Officer Admiral Gayle: Aye captain!

Tholomew:
You don't needta bloody scan it; I saw it with my own two eyes! We went through and it stayed open!

I'm seeing this Tholomew character as expendable. You might want to kill him off to add to the tension.

Gayle: He appears to be I am... right, captain of course. I can't explain it, yet, but the worm hole is definitely staying open. And sensors are picking up a lot of bleed.

Patters: Yellow alert! Gayle, can you please find out what's making it tick. The sooner you do, the sooner we can seal off the hole. Tholomew, can you come up with a way to force the bleed to cluster?

(Tholomew stabbed by wanton unicorn, here.)

Patters: Just make it happen. Save us, Gale!

Before Tholomew can leave, the forum shakes, throwing everyone dramatically to the floor and killing six people in red shirts. What a random detail...

Chief Security Officer Mei Ra: It's a critter sir. We're being critiqued.

To be continued?

That's jsut silly and reallly? A cliff-hanger. I really think you need to...
LMFAO.

I love your change to Gayle.

Tholomew should be killed by the fearsome dragon Kraygslyst.