Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Calling AWers w/ Short Stories!

So Pthom and I have been colluding about a project for a couple of weeks, and we're ready to go public:

Announcing the First Absolute Write Speculative Fiction Short Story Anthology!

We're looking for a few great (short) stories from AWers:

*We really can't include stories longer than 10,000 words.
*Stories should have strong SpecFic elements (science fiction, fantasy, magical realism, horror, paranormal, etc.).
*Stories must be written within the last year.
*No reprints, please. We want to showcase fresh new talent.

We will pay 2¢ per word for accepted stories. We ask for one-time rights to simultaneously produce an e-book version and a print version.

You may submit your story (in standard manuscript format) in as an .rtf email attachment to: submissions@absolutewrite.com

Submissions close September 1, 2011!

Proposed date of publication of the anthology is Thanksgiving.

If you have questions, by all means ask. Send a PM with your question to the moderator of the genre SF/F forum (that's Pthom, otherwise known as Peter).

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

Last edited by MacAllister; 08-02-2011 at 06:11 AM.
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Pthom
practical experience, FTW

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Great Absolute Write Spec Fiction Anthology!

It's here, folks. We're gonna do it. Check out the announcement at top of this forum.

Get your fingers oiled up...there's just 31 days left to submit!

ETA: FAQs of interest. Read this post.

Last edited by Pthom; 08-05-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: added FAQ post
Pthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
oh my cheese and crackers!!!

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter
bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's so cool. I wish I was a writer.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Darkshore
Stranger

Darkshore has a spectacular auraDarkshore has a spectacular aura
Majorly cool, but my last short seems to have turned novel. Must write another quickly! This is an awesome opportunity :P.
Darkshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ooooooooooh... *eyes widen*
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
Pthom

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very (very, very) short stories are definitely welcome. We're looking at a total word count for the entire book that approaches something like 90,000 words. So the shorter the submissions, the greater the chances of more of you getting in.

How d'ya like THAT syntax?
Old 08-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Damn, time to get off my ass and start writing.
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #9
Tifferbugz
Doing Pirate things...

Tifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTifferbugz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The thread, I found it. Sounds like fun!

Now to think of an interesting idea.

Website & Blog
Twitter
My Books

Tifferbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Psychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*le gasp!*

So many ideas... which to pick... I'm excited!

Twitter|Blog

I drew a map of the Cantina once. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

WIPS:

SF Novella: 36,000 words, query in QLH
Fantasy (researching)
Psychomacologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
zanzjan
always tomorrow-bound
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Huh. Well I guess I'm going to have to write something, then.

-Suzanne

2014: Fly Away Home, Interzone #251, March; House Party Blues, Black Static #39, March; Shatterdown, Asimov's, June (podcast here!)

A PROMPT A DAY! The Countdown to 2015 Calendar: Writing Lab --> Writing Exercises --> Flash Fiction Challenge. Open to all!
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
This looks great! I think I may have a story that fits the bill.

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #13
AnnieColleen
Re-NaNoing

AnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pthom View Post
Very (very, very) short stories are definitely welcome.
Ha, I was going to ask about flash fiction. Question answered. Awesome.

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
~Neil Gaiman
AnnieColleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Ok, now to choose which of the several as yet unpublished shorts I have knocking around to send in...

Any word on multiple subs? Or should I check the announcement first?
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
Bartholomew
Comic guy

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote something special for this when I first heard the rumor.

If it isn't the weirdest thing in the slush pile, I'll eat my socks.

Do you need cover art, illustrations, or images for your blog? Now doing commissions.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OoooOoooOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH!

Godsdamn, I need a prompt, stat!

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
Kweei
Expert Procrastinator

Kweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputationKweei has a golden reputation
Awesome!

Let's see if I can challenge myself to write something short

Song of the Swallow

Me: Livejournal Twitter Blog Facebook Google+

Some people get plot bunnies. I get zombie plot goats that are unkillable. Tru Fax.
Kweei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
Shadowflame
Gametrovert

Shadowflame is better than ice cream with hot fudgeShadowflame is better than ice cream with hot fudgeShadowflame is better than ice cream with hot fudgeShadowflame is better than ice cream with hot fudgeShadowflame is better than ice cream with hot fudgeShadowflame is better than ice cream with hot fudgeShadowflame is better than ice cream with hot fudge
now I have 4 things to submit in August... luckily one is written just needs edits. 1 in draft, one in idea mode and this one, just need to pick a story. And I think I know what one it will be
and FB for Shadowflame Designs Beadowork
BLOG

Space Marine Gerbils

Rejection count 2014 - 43
Stories out 13
Acceptances: 2
Shortlisted: 5 (2R)(1A)
Shadowflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote this in my notes of things to do list, I am so siked up for this...I haven't even started. Gonna do me bestest! Good Luck all!

Disconnected
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
OoooOoooOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOHH!

Godsdamn, I need a prompt, stat!
As you wish.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220734

(It would be hilarious if everyone used those prompts )

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Last edited by Fenika; 08-02-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Fenika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #21
MattJ
Publish or Die Trying

MattJ is on a distinguished road
Are there general guidelines as to taste/preferences?

http://wayofthewriter.blogspot.com/

“Be a lamp unto yourself. Work out your liberation with diligence.” Buddha

MattJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #22
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
Ok, I now know what I am submitting... it came down to a choice of two and I erred on the side of sci fi rather than urban fantasy... still want to submit the other one, though. Still, have sent it off to a beta reader for a bit of a polish...
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #23
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
As you wish.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220734

(It would be hilarious if everyone used those prompts )
Eeeeeeeexcellent.

Now I ask that you click the link for me. Then write my entry.

You know, cause you're that awesomely awesome.

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

CobraMisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #24
MacAllister
'Twas but a dream of thee
El Jefe

MacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMacAllister is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJ View Post
Are there general guidelines as to taste/preferences?
We're taking a wide-angle approach to that question, expecting that something serendipitous will emerge among the stories to nudge the direction of the anthology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post
Ok, now to choose which of the several as yet unpublished shorts I have knocking around to send in...

Any word on multiple subs? Or should I check the announcement first?
One story at a time, please. If you get a rejection and there's still time, you're welcome to send another, then.

Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings
MacAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
Psychomacologist
The Sarcasm Fairy

Psychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPsychomacologist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Important additional information: are you accepting stories from outside the U.S.? And would we still get paid in dollars?

*is in Britain*

Twitter|Blog

I drew a map of the Cantina once. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

WIPS:

SF Novella: 36,000 words, query in QLH
Fantasy (researching)
Psychomacologist is offline   Reply With Quote