Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Becca C.
Recovering Canucks Fan

Location: Google says 1 hour, 8 minutes north of Vancouver, BC
Becca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputation
You'll have to read this to believe it...

This should have the whole publishing world talking. I'm completely speechless.

Now represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!
Becca C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow lucky her. What are the chances?
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
AlishaS
Is swimming with creativity frogs

AlishaS is a glorious beacon of lightAlishaS is a glorious beacon of lightAlishaS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca C. View Post
This should have the whole publishing world talking. I'm completely speechless.
Holy crap! Good for her, that is just amazing, and yes hard to believe, though I'm sure it's 100% true since she calls out her agent and the publisher by name.

It's cases like this that give everyone just a little bit more hope!

My YA Adult Novel A Stiff Kiss is out now for Kindle, Nook, KOBO and in Paperback!

YA Won't Let Go, coming Fall 2013

Also, today on my blog:
AlishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Becca C.
Recovering Canucks Fan

Location: Google says 1 hour, 8 minutes north of Vancouver, BC
Becca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputation
Isn't it amazing? :P Like... "whoa" is all I can say!

Now represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!
Becca C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
MimiAngel621
Banned

MimiAngel621 is on a distinguished road
Holy crap. And she said she wrote that book in 14 days, 13 hours a day. Words cannot describe how incredible that is.
MimiAngel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
DrunkenLilacs
Growing tipsier as we speak

DrunkenLilacs is well-respected
Wow, that's amazing!

DrunkenLilacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Shady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow.

INVINCIBLE SUMMER--Simon Pulse, 2011 BUY IT
GONE, GONE, GONE--Coming APRIL 17th, 2012, Simon Pulse BUY IT
TEETH--Coming JANUARY 1ST, 2013, Simon Pulse
--
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:
ZOMBIE TAG--Coming DECEMBER 20th, 2011, Roaring Brook Press BUY IT

MARCO IMPOSSIBLE--Coming MARCH 2013, Roaring Brook Press

Shady Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
Ashes Oh Ashes
Honest, not Harsh

Ashes Oh Ashes has earned our admirationAshes Oh Ashes has earned our admirationAshes Oh Ashes has earned our admirationAshes Oh Ashes has earned our admiration
Good for her! Nothing like a success story for inspiration.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
TudorRose
not napping... brainstorming!

TudorRose is a shiny, shiny jewelTudorRose is a shiny, shiny jewel
awaiting further developments...

Last edited by TudorRose; 07-22-2011 at 01:17 AM.
TudorRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Shady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShady Lane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's an amazing story and I'm so happy for her, and I love that she acknowledges that everyone's story is different and that hers is weird and atypical. Unfortunately, zillions of people are going to use this as fodder for why self-publishing is a smart decision when your goal is to be published by a big 6.

--
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:

Old 07-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Ajisai
figuring it all out

Ajisai is on a distinguished road
Wow...I don't really know what to say. Some people do get lucky in that they have what someone is looking for at the exact perfect time. On the whole it sounds less like a publishing story and more like an Indies band that got scouted at their first show, or something. But as interesting as the whole concept is, I think emulating her success would be basically impossible!
Ajisai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Daisywitch
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Daisywitch is on a distinguished road
That is amazing. Good for her. I love how she's so honest about how luck and timing played a part in her success and that her story isn't typical for everyone. I wish her much success.
Daisywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Find me on Twitter!: melksan

Last edited by mellymel; 07-22-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: cause things have changed :-(
mellymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
Harper K
here's to the girl on the go

Harper K is a shiny, shiny jewelHarper K is a shiny, shiny jewel
*dies*

Congrats, Aaronni, if you're reading this!!!

This was one of my first thoughts, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Lane View Post
Unfortunately, zillions of people are going to use this as fodder for why self-publishing is a smart decision when your goal is to be published by a big 6.

Harper K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
egoodlett
practical experience, FTW

egoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of light
WOW. that is a crazy story. and also one-in-a-million, with the self-pubbing leading to Jodi Reamer (!!!!) and a book deal. so awesome for her!

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller
egoodlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #16
MissAimee
I'm just a girl.

MissAimee has a spectacular aura
Some people are at the right place and at the right time. Congrats Aaronni!!!
MissAimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
thebloodfiend
Cory

thebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthebloodfiend is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OMFG

Jodi Reamer.....

Wow.

Good on her.
thebloodfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
Elysium
believe

Location: In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvania other times
Elysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElysium is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm still a little speechless....but this is amazing! Wow.

UNFAIR
A Dark Retelling of Snow White
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Mharvey
Gets Drunk With Economical Speed

Mharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolnessMharvey leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Lane View Post
It's an amazing story and I'm so happy for her, and I love that she acknowledges that everyone's story is different and that hers is weird and atypical. Unfortunately, zillions of people are going to use this as fodder for why self-publishing is a smart decision when your goal is to be published by a big 6.
Yeeeah, I'm thinking the same thing. lol

However, it does seem within the past year or so there have been a significantly bigger amount of success stories with self-publishing. I have no doubt that's simply because with technology where its at, it's free and 100x more people are trying it than, say 5-10 years ago.

Truth be told, stories like this encourage me to consider digging up an old manuscript I dismissed as garbage liner, blowing on it a few times and throwing it up on Amazon for .99 cents. Could be fun!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Because.
the winter soldier

Because. has a spectacular aura
I squealed when I read it!

CONGRATS AARONNI!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #21
BethMac
Saying the Serenity Prayer

BethMac has earned our admirationBethMac has earned our admirationBethMac has earned our admirationBethMac has earned our admiration
That is amazing Aaronni! Congrats and good luck!!

Red Adept Publishing

Announcement about Book 2 on my blog!
blog: melissamacvicar.com
Read excerpt here

Buy at Amazon
bn.com
kobo
BethMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #22
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
yeah! One for the little guy!

congratulations! I luv it when good stuff happens to AWers.

Best of luck.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
Sean Wills

Sean Wills is on a distinguished road
I just found out about this, and I have to say, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, I'm NOT accusing her of lying. But let's look at the timeline here:

She self-publishes her book on the 17th of July - four days ago.

With no obvious explosive popularity or sales (or none that anybody has mentioned) as justification, the book attracts the notice of a famous agent three days later.

The day after that, said agent has both signed the author AND sold the book to a major publisher. No revisions or editing first, apparently, just near-instant sale of a book whose first chapter reads like an obvious first draft. (I'm not taking a dig at the author here - anybody's manuscript would need work if it was written so quickly.)

I mean...I don't think I'm being unfair in expressing some scepticism, am I?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #24
Shady Lane
my name is hannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Wills View Post
I just found out about this, and I have to say, I'm having a hard time believing it.

Before anybody jumps down my throat, I'm NOT accusing her of lying. But let's look at the timeline here:

She self-publishes her book on the 17th of July - four days ago.

With no obvious explosive popularity or sales (or none that anybody has mentioned) as justification, the book attracts the notice of a famous agent three days later.

The day after that, said agent has both signed the author AND sold the book to a major publisher. No revisions or editing first, apparently, just near-instant sale of a book whose first chapter reads like an obvious first draft. (I'm not taking a dig at the author here - anybody's manuscript would need work if it was written so quickly.)

I mean...I don't think I'm being unfair in expressing some scepticism, am I?
No, you're not. BUT it could be the editor accepted under the assumption (or maybe even the requirement) that there be multiple rounds of revisions.

--
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS:

Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #25
Sean Wills

Sean Wills is on a distinguished road
It could be, I just find it hard to believe that it all could have happened so fast. We all know what publishing is like - this is apparently the industry working at speeds that would be ridiculous even for an established author.

I'm completely open to being proven wrong, of course.