Sick of being sick

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just bitching here...

So, I pretty much went an entire year without getting sick. I started a new job back in October and, I swear, I've been sick nearly since I started.

Got sick my second week. Bad cold. Took about two weeks to get over.

Got another bad cold in early February. Took a little over a week to get over. I felt fine for about two days. Then I got the flu. Took me about two weeks to get over that. Was good for about two or three days. Then I got a respiratory infection. On top of that, I had an allergic reaction in my eye (think pink eye times ten).

That was a week ago. Got over that on Tuesday.

Now I have strep throat.

Why does my immune system hate me?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Jeez, Opty - that sucks. Are you suddenly exposed to unwashed masses of people, or handling money or soiled kleenex or something? Is there maybe a bannister or elevator handled by masses of people that might be leaving bugs for you to pick up? (Don't mind me, I've become sort of an obsessive hand-washer since I started traveling a lot, so that's always the first place my brain goes.)

Plain old fatigue and stress can make you more susceptible, too, if your schedule has radically changed, or some such -- but I know you already know all that stuff, too. Sorry you're being clobbered, though

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Opty, hope you feel way better very soon. There's :Cake:s in it for you when you get well! :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I thought I was going to be permanently sick after starting work at the Salvos. All those second-hand clothes, handling money, certain amounts of people who can't afford good hygiene or medical attention...

However, I've been there for about 3 months, and I haven't been sick once in that time. I've been told it's because you build up your immune system after subjecting yourself to that environment.

I was about to say I wasn't sick once over summer (Southern Hemisphere, so December to February is summer here) but that's not true. I had the weakest flu I've ever had back in December.

I relay this information because I'm usually the person who gets sick every couple of weeks. I've had flus that have lasted over 5 weeks before. I'm just susceptible to ailments, it seems.

But the point is - you'll reach a point where your body recovers, and then you'll probably go a long stretch without any major problems. There's no guarantees, but in general it WILL get better.

You're just having an off season or so.

*hands over Strepsils, Vitamin C and chocolate* :)

Pistol Whipped Bee

Now what?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenniferplace.wordpress.com
So, I pretty much went an entire year without getting sick. I started a new job back in October and, I swear, I've been sick nearly since I started.

Why does my immune system hate me?

I don't think it does. I think you're having a psychosomatic reaction to your job. Perhaps you need a different one...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Another fan of neti pots for respiratory stuff which finds your nose--and for prevention if you're prone to that, like I am.)

It sounds to me like it's one of two things, Opty. Both suck, and being sick so often gives a person both new self-pity and fresh respect for those who manage to function with health problems while remaining reasonably pleasant.

You might find that your new job's environment and colleagues introduced you to a new or larger 'germ pool' of bacteria you're being exposed to. The other people are immune already, since they've been there a while, but the new kid, not yet. It's the equivalent of a child starting at a new school--the whole family gets in on every illness making the rounds there.

Or perhaps you're among the people who have coddled their immune system rather than letting it meet challenges and get strong. Apparently people who limit their routine daily exposure to bacteria through use of hand sanitizers, antibacterial household products, and the like may actually be weakening their immune systems. The analogy I like is that of a boxer. The one who spars daily gets strong, able to take a punch, able to land one, too. The one who works the weight-resistance equipment in the sterilized, air-conditioned gym may be strong, but he's goin' down.

Maryn, making you soup