Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
[Promotion] BookDaily / ArcaMax Publishing, Inc.

I just got a professionally written, properly spelled, grammatically correct email invitation to look into doing book/author promotion through BookDaily.com. The email has no tell-tale scam warning signs, and the website looks professional and seems legit.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience -- good, bad, or indifferent -- with BookDaily.com, which claims to have 30,000 readers as active members. I'm trying to determine if I should be considering them in my marketing mix or running quickly in the other direction.

http://www.bookdaily.com/

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

DreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudge
No experience, but I followed the link and saw that I could read the first chapter of best sellers. That's really nice for me (and I may take advantage of it), but I don't see how it helps authors of lesser-known books.

Maybe I'm missing something? It seems I would have to be specifically looking for your book (which means some other marketing tool would have had to have been effective) to find it among so many offerings.

Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters!
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They do some sort of author packages that promote you. Trying to determine if (presuming they're legit) this is worthwhile or you'd get more bang for the time and effort with a blog tour.

But first issue is if anyone's had any experience with them.

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
MaryMumsy
the original blond bombshell

MaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don't know if it means anything, but I saw covers from James Patterson, Dan Brown, and Linda Lael Miller on there. And that was just a quick glance.

MM

That is Mae West, not me.
MaryMumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It looks to me like they're scraping sample chapters from all over the web, repackaging them, and trying to sell the package. I'm not sure it's legal. Giving Apple a sample first chapter to help sell their ebooks doesn't mean you're giving everyone the right to use it.

Don't be impressed by the bestseller covers. Anyone can reproduce a book cover as long as they're not selling the image for other purposes.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, they've got excerpts of my books. I'm not sure where they came from.

The copyright notice at the bottom is interesting:

Quote:
Excerpted from "Unholy Ghosts" by Stacia Kane. Copyright (C) by Stacia Kane. Excerpted by permission. All rights reserved. No part of this excerpt may be reproduced or reprinted without permission in writing from the publisher. Excerpts are provided by Dial-A-Book Inc. solely for the personal use of visitors to this web site.
I certainly didn't give my permission. I don't know about Del Rey; I suppose it's possible?

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller

Last edited by Stacia Kane; 02-28-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

DreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
I certainly didn't give my permission. I don't know about Del Rey; I suppose it's possible?
I'd be interested to know, if you find out.

Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters!
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Psst, Stacia! Did you happen to follow up on the permission issue?
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
law900
figuring it all out

law900 is on a distinguished road
I was solicited by BookDaily also. I went to their web site and my antivirus software displayed a warning stating the site was associated with fraud and/or malicious malware.

Sites like Goodreads and Smashwords do not cause the same warnings by my antivirus. For now I'm giving the BookDaily site a pass until it is proven that it is not fraudulent and or carrying malware.

Lawrence BoarerPitchford, author
In the World of Hyboria
The Lantern of Dern Blackhammer
Thadius
Sawbones
Tales of Mad Cows and Brothels
www.boarerpitchford.com
Works available at www.Amazon.com and www.Smashwords.com
law900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
Axordil
Is this thing on?

Axordil is on a distinguished road
I don't get the AV warning when I go there--might it have been from an ad? I don't see ads, as a rule, which means I often get different results.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
zomby9333
Published Author & Blogger

zomby9333 is on a distinguished road
Bookdaily has been wonderful for me so far...every time they feature my book, I get sales...EVERY TIME...just sayin'
zomby9333 is offline   Reply With Quote