Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Freelance Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
RedStringSoul
Chaos Wrangler

RedStringSoul is on a distinguished road
Query email subject?

Forgive me but I'm a complete newbie at sending actual queries. (Trying to get out of the content mill treadmill!) When sending a query to a publication via email contact form (or email in general) what should I use as the subject of the email? Should I put "Writer Query" and my article title pitch? Any suggestions would be helpful!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
GregS
practical experience, FTW

GregS is on a distinguished road
Standard subject is simply "Query: Title of Project."

Some agents/publishers have slight variations of this based on their spam and internal filters, but they're all basically the same. Check with your specific target before firing the email off, but if you can't find anything different go with that.

That format also gives you a very simple way to set up filters in your email program to ensure none of your responses get sent to your spam.

GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've added "Query: Title of Project - My Name" because it makes my emails faster to find in a pinch, and hopefully gets the name recognition going, but most editors aren't picky about subject lines. Including the word "Query" gets the point across.
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
RedStringSoul
Chaos Wrangler

RedStringSoul is on a distinguished road
This is very helpful, thanks!!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Plan
New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin!

Plan is on a distinguished road
What WildScribe said.

I get more than 200 e-mails a day, which means things can get buried very quickly and I don't even bother to open e-mails when the subject lines indicate that they've come from a public relations firm or from a sender who is not offering me very specific information.

When you get that volume of e-mail, you become adept at quickly scanning subject lines and deleting the stuff that doesn't give any indication of its contents.

On a related note, if you don't get a response, send it again. These days, media companies are short-staffed and editors are overworked. It's entirely possible that the editor did not see your e-mail or simply skipped over it on a busy day, and that's never personal.

Good luck.
Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
denenewrites
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

denenewrites is on a distinguished road
While this is an old thread, I wanted to add a point that I think will help when pitching ideas. I once read that because PR people often query magazine editors too, only putting "Query: TITLE" in the subject line may cause an editor to think that it's a PR pitch. So the tip is to say "Writer Query: TITLE" instead so that it's clear it's an article query.

That said, I have used both and gotten replies on both. But it may be worth adding the word "writer" just to be safe.

Thanks!

Follow on Twitter: @FLXWriteNow
Like on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/freelancewritenow

Last edited by denenewrites; 07-06-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: typo correction
denenewrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
scope
Commonsensical Maverick

scope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admirationscope has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan View Post
On a related note, if you don't get a response, send it again. These days, media companies are short-staffed and editors are overworked. It's entirely possible that the editor did not see your e-mail or simply skipped over it on a busy day, and that's never personal.
Plan,

Would you prefer it be sent again, or instead, a query stating when it was originally sent and asking if you received it? If just sent again, do you want the email to make reference to the first sumission? Regardless, and assuming the writer hasn't heard from you, how long should s/he wait between initial and subseqent contact?

Subject line I have used is:
"Query: TITLE OF BOOK (Children's MG Nonfiction)
scope is offline   Reply With Quote