Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
8thSamurai
practical experience, FTW

8thSamurai is on a distinguished road
Atlanta Nights - The Movie!

I've purchased the rights, figured out how to make it work, and am now raising funds for the production of Atlanta Nights, the movie.

I was inspired by both the story of the book's creation, and the tireless efforts of industry pros to help spread the word about literary snags and scams. (Before I found AW, I didn't even know there was such a thing.)

With all the info already available, I kept wondering why we weren't reaching more people - people who might not be as internet savvy, perhaps, or maybe they're just so excited about getting a 'yes' that the warnings go unheeded.

There's not much to do with the latter, but maybe we can use another medium to reach more of the former?

So I decided to make the movie.

Right now, I'm in the process of raising funds to make it happen. I'd love if you guys could check out the site, watch the video (donate if you're inclined), and help spread the word.

The Atlanta Nights Project

Thank you all!

Last edited by 8thSamurai; 02-16-2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: fixing broken link
8thSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good to see you around 8th...

Hope all goes well...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
8thSamurai

Hi! Great to see you, too. I haven't been around much (for now obvious reasons). This is the 'secret' project that I've been working toward.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
CheyElizabeth
My horn can pierce the sky!

CheyElizabeth is a glorious beacon of lightCheyElizabeth is a glorious beacon of lightCheyElizabeth is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome! But your link doesn't work...

CheyElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
8thSamurai

ACK! Must fix that immediately.

Link to the site.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
thothguard51

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I take it this is the special project Roy has been giggling about...

Since Myspace changed, I haven't seen much of you guys. They deleted the groups and I stopped visiting myspaz...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
8thSamurai

Woo! Thanks! I gave a little love to your blog on the updates page
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
8thSamurai

Yes, it is. Without the groups, there's really not much reason to hang out there anymore.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
8thSamurai

BLOOPERS!

Some of the footage that didn't make it into the final Kickstarter video.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
fireluxlou

fireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputation
Love it Would love to see this, hope you get the funding!
fireluxlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
Shrouded
Ne tequcesiverius extra

Shrouded is on a distinguished road
You might try PA for funding, giving cameos to Larry and Miranda. Maybe even a special appearence by Bobby Fletcher if the price is right and if he can remember where the movie is being shot..
Shrouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
thothguard51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
You might try PA for funding, giving cameos to Larry and Miranda. Maybe even a special appearence by Bobby Fletcher if the price is right and if he can remember where the movie is being shot..

Now that is hilarious...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
8thSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
Love it Would love to see this, hope you get the funding!
Thanks so much! Kickstarter is just one of the funding avenues that we're pursuing, along with grants, looking at small studios that I've worked with before for help, yadda yadda.

It make take a while to raise the funds for the feature portion of our adventure, but I'm here for the long haul.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
8thSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
O.o

Could you imagine? I could probably get Bouncing Bobby for a dollar, provided everyone on set crazy glued their pockets shut...

You have given me an idea though. Dunno if I could pull it off, and I'm not going to mention it anywhere traceable.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
AC Crispin
Requiescat In Pace
Requiescat In Pace

AC Crispin is a splendid one to beholdAC Crispin is a splendid one to beholdAC Crispin is a splendid one to behold
Well, be sure to send a film crew to interview Victoria Strauss, Jim Macdonald, and yours truly.

We were all involved with the project, to varying degrees. I'm the one that "took responsibility" for it when PublishAmerica announced that people were going to prison for doing it.

I wonder if it will surprise anyone to know that I'm not typing from prison?

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com
AC Crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thSamurai View Post
O.o

Could you imagine? I could probably get Bouncing Bobby for a dollar, provided everyone on set crazy glued their pockets shut...

You have given me an idea though. Dunno if I could pull it off, and I'm not going to mention it anywhere traceable.
It's easy to treat it all as a joke, but do be careful, not just with what you do but with what you say. Retaliatory lawsuits may be frivolous, but you still have to defend yourself--and that's not a joke.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 AM   #17
allenparker
Naked Futon Guy

allenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolnessallenparker leaves trails of profuse coolness
Good Luck and I wish you the best.

I know it is going to be tough on that level of financing.

Last edited by allenparker; 02-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.
allenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #18
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd consider it a personal favor if everyone posted this link on their web page or blog:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ghts-the-movie

And sending a buck or so yourself wouldn't hurt....
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 AM   #19
thothguard51

8th, don't forget to put some $$$ away for legal expenses.

More than likely, the evil triplets will be watching this very closely...

Currently working on...

Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,

Nick Anthony
Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
8thSamurai

Yeah, it is a concern. The legal stuff. We will say nothing untrue. E&O (errors and omissions) insurance is about ten thousand by itself, which is a little scary.

Luckily, I have some world class talent on my end to help guide me through much of that stuff.

Public thanks to Jim for contacting the Teas, I'm incredibly grateful. (You can't see it, but I actually teared up when the 'yes' responses came in.) Each and every one of you are amazing for the help you provide new and aspiring writers, and I can't wait to share that with the world.

This may not be the biggest project that I've worked on (yet), but it is by far the most important.

I'll be attending MARScon in Minnesota the first weekend of March, please stop by and say hi if you like.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
8thSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
It's easy to treat it all as a joke, but do be careful, not just with what you do but with what you say. Retaliatory lawsuits may be frivolous, but you still have to defend yourself--and that's not a joke.

- Victoria

Very true. I should strike that statement. I have been incredibly careful about what I've said and typed elsewhere. Giddiness made me momentarily foolish, and it will not happen again. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
8thSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenparker View Post
I know it is going to be touch on that level of financing.
Most definitely. During this leg of the journey, I'm casting about like mad for other sources.

For film, there are grants and deals that can only be made in different stages of production. Right now we're just heading into the land of preproduction. Then there's production and post-production (editing). Researching now for post production funds. We'll most likely be cutting while I work on the interviews, as that's going to be the longest leg of the journey.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #23
8thSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Crispin View Post
Well, be sure to send a film crew to interview Victoria Strauss, Jim Macdonald, and yours truly.

We were all involved with the project, to varying degrees. I'm the one that "took responsibility" for it when PublishAmerica announced that people were going to prison for doing it.

I wonder if it will surprise anyone to know that I'm not typing from prison?

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com
It will be an honor, truly.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did wonder what exactly PublishAmerica was going to charge us with. Submitting a bad manuscript to a publisher isn't illegal; all it gets is a rejection slip ... most places.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #25
circlexranch
Terri Coop has been known to write

circlexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to behold
Facebooked it and made a donation. I want to see this happen.

Terri

The Blog Coop (keeps them safe and from wandering around)

"Why I Fear Clowns" A journey along the CCC (creepy clown continum).

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.
circlexranch is offline   Reply With Quote